Quantcast
Is it ok to post non-repetetive instrumental (electronic) tracks here? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it ok to post non-repetetive instrumental (electronic) tracks here?
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is it ok to post non-repetetive instrumental (electronic) tracks here?

Hi,

I'm sure quite a lot of folks don't see electronic music as 'songwriting' per se, and as far as repetetive club tracks go, I guess there's some truth in that.

But is it alright to post more structured electronic tracks for composition feedback?
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➡️
I'm sure quite a lot of folks don't see electronic music as 'songwriting' per se,
If you made choices regarding chords and melodies, it's songwriting.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi,

I'm sure quite a lot of folks don't see electronic music as 'songwriting' per se, and as far as repetetive club tracks go, I guess there's some truth in that.

But is it alright to post more structured electronic tracks for composition feedback?
Well, there's old school and new school songwriting - both involve chords, melody, rhythm and overall structure as 4 primary elements. The often made assumption that a song has to involve singing is for you to accept or reject as an artist. I personally love synth textures as lead voices.

I don't know if you are familiar with "Airlane" by Gary Numan or "Crystal Japan" by David Bowie, but I consider those to be songs without singing, and most certainly compositions as they involve the primary songwriting elements.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I see it as songwriting. If you want feedback on something here, I'd just post it. Maybe some folks will complain that it doesn't fit their narrow view of what's acceptable to post (and maybe we'll get lucky and that won't happen), but just tune them out. Other folks will provide feedback if you ask for it, especially if you ask a specific question and really want constructive criticism and it doesn't simply seem like you're hoping to drive more people to your soundcloud or whatever.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the replies.
I shouldn't really have expected anything other than the positive remarks here but still good to see
And no I'm not interested in profile views, just honest critique and external insight into a couple of pieces, which I'll post soon.
Cheers.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
I shouldn't really have expected anything other than the positive remarks here but still good to see
And no I'm not interested in profile views, just honest critique and external insight into a couple of pieces, which I'll post soon.
Cheers.
If anyone tries to put hard artistic rules in your way, just ignore them if you want.

If someone is attempting to play the strict mainstream pop music game however, then one must adhere strictly to their rules.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't do too well with rules

My music has quite a traditional structure arrangement-wise, so not exactly avant-garde, but I don't write pop, not that there's anything wrong with pop (so long as it's good pop ie. I like it).

I did post a track but 140 views, only 3 plays and no-one anxious to tear it apart as yet.
Feel free to bite if you have the time
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…