Quantcast
Tycho - innovative or repetitive? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tycho - innovative or repetitive?
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Tycho - innovative or repetitive?

I happen to personally love Tycho's stuff and am really pumped about the new album. I just wondered if any of you who are familiar with his stuff thought it to be very innovative and vividly branded or just repetitive?

I for one want him to do my next album artwork
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerico12 ➑️
I happen to personally love Tycho's stuff and am really pumped about the new album. I just wondered if any of you who are familiar with his stuff thought it to be very innovative and vividly branded or just repetitive?
Which specific songs/compositions ?

You make it too much of an either (very innovative)-or (just repetitive) proposition. What if (a specific song/composition) is in the happy middle, providing a sort of "just right" balance between the 2 (false) choices ?
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I really like his stuff and laugh at everyone accusing him of being a BoC ripoff. Excited for his next album.

And yeah there is usually a balance between innovative and repetitive. Having the right balance is one of the keys to great songs.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepc0re ➑️
BoC
Do you mean Blue Oyster Cult ?

EDIT : no, Boards of Canada.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 ➑️
Do you mean Blue Oyster Cult ?

EDIT : no, Boards of Canada.
Yes, Boards of Canada.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I guess from Dive on (including new album that you can stream here First Listen: Tycho, 'Awake' : NPR). I love his style, but he definitely uses the same patches/sounds in multiple songs. I guess I was wondering if because of that wether you guys thought is was concise, tight styling/branding or repetitive? I'm not saying it HAS to be either/or. Just curious, as I'm trying to find better ways to tighten up my musical styling/production.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You mean his minimoog? It has a pretty distinctive sound and is all over his songs.

Sure his songs are repetive, but there is still enough "new" things in his songs so it doesn't bother or bore me. I sort of already know what I can expect when I listen to him, and that also probably helps. All his songs create a certain kind of mood with a floating laid-back atmosphere with big lush reverbs (one of my weak spots) . If your not into that kind of thing IΒ΄m sure it could bore you as well.

Thanks for the link by the way, I really like the new album, probably gonna buy it.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No prob. I'm digging it too. Much dirtier drum sounds that I love. I think my favorite track is Spectre.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's interesting that modern electronic music tends to provide a 5th element of composition, sometimes as or even more important than rhythm, harmonic devices, melody, or overall structure.

That 5th element is the unique juxtaposition of various synthesized textures, in the lead, the bass, or middle/background slots - even in percussion textures. Often, the development of this 5th element - the focused development of uniquely colored textural highlights and contrasts - can be a compositional priority many listeners mistakenly take for granted as incidental or unimportant.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Agreed. Maybe that's one reason why I like his stuff so much. It's a really nice mid point between pop/rock composition and new wave/EDM/ electronic.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…