Quantcast
Ok, it's NOT about Songwriting....But....c'mon... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ok, it's NOT about Songwriting....But....c'mon...
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ok, it's NOT about Songwriting....But....c'mon...

Is it just me, or isn’t the Society of Singers Honoring MIKE LOVE of the Beach Boys as a SINGER with the “Ella” award kind of like the Louvre in Paris Honoring a kindergarten child for scribbling on the sidewalk with crayons….??

The “Ella” award has been given to Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Julie Andrews, Celine Dion, Placido Domingo….etc….

But MIKE LOVE?? WTF??

Just Sayin’…..

HH
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hmm. I feel more affronted that an Ella award was given to an overblown huffer like Domingo who is the very antithesis of her elegant, easy technique and open pronunciation. Mike Love is far closer to Ella in that regard. Very easy singer.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Why not - He's a decent singer from one of the biggest bands in R and R history.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor ➡️
an overblown huffer like Domingo...
heh

Love the Freddie Green quote!!

ns
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ido1957 ➡️
Why not - He's a decent singer from one of the biggest bands in R and R history.
Seriously? In my "world", there are "singers"...sinatra,;streisand, tom jones, etc,...then there are people who "do vocals".....love, jagger, osbourne, etc......i suppose that it is a matter of taste, and i am not arguing yours.... but it seems to me that such a pedestrian voice is not one that should really be honored for anything....had he not been a cousin of brian wilson, he would he pumping gas....it just irks me that when there are artists out there who are truly gifted and unique, why is recognition given to someone who would be barely passable in a high school choir?

And, i suppose that my opinion is flavored by the knowledge that mike love is the one who has kept the BB from making REAL music for many years.....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope ➡️
heh

Love the Freddie Green quote!!

ns
The "overblown huffer" quote actually gave me a much needed laugh and ear to ear smile.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus ➡️
Woh, serious snob alert. Tuning out now . . .
Snob?

So, How do you figure that?

Not EVERYONE is deserving of an award. Holding a single, drone note on a Sax does not qualify you for the “Sax Hall of Fame”. I can think of many uniquely talented artists that would deserve such an award. Mike Love is not one of them.
He is a pedestrian singer….not even a singer, really….he “does vocals”.

He released a solo Album in 1989 or 1990….it TOTALLY tanked…didn’t even chart.

Understand this: Giving an award like that to someone like Love DEVALUES that award for all future recipients. He is an “OK SINGER”….since when do we award things to people for being “ok”?

Mike Love shines as PART of a legendary Vocal ensemble, the Beach Boys. They should be honored as a UNIT.

I KNOW Mike Love…I was a guest at the ceremony. And I just happen to think that HIS particular level of talent does not deserve accolades…..no “snobbery” there.

There were people on that stage that DID deserve accolades….He didn’t.

HH
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yeah this should go in the Moan Zone as it has zero to do with song writing.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus ➡️
Woh, serious snob alert. Tuning out now . . .
See how hyper-sensitive and insulting CB is to opinions which happen to differ from his own ? It's as if he is fully unable (and unwilling) to tolerate an assessment which is more negative or critical than the one he holds.

It's all about the sanctity of personal interpretation of musical art. Our reactions depend on what preferential standards we have personally embraced and what we are using as a frame of reference.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter ➡️
Is it just me, or isn’t the Society of Singers Honoring MIKE LOVE of the Beach Boys as a SINGER with the “Ella” award kind of like the Louvre in Paris Honoring a kindergarten child for scribbling on the sidewalk with crayons….??

The “Ella” award has been given to Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Julie Andrews, Celine Dion, Placido Domingo….etc….
This thread does have something to do with songwriting indirectly, as many posts have touched on the significance of the implementation phase of the material.

As an informal, recent graduate of the Beach Boys appreciation school, and the Brian Wilson church of worship, I tend to agree with you. Let's hope we don't allow the previous rift between Brian & Mike to influence our opinion.

Similar to figure skating, there are 2 basic categories (which can be emphasized equally, or unequally) : technical merit and artistic/stylistic merit.

1) Technical Merit (more quantifiable) : pertains to the singer's power, range, pitch control, vibrato control, sustain, stamina, etc.

2) Artistic/Style merit (more intangible) : pertains to character, personality, uniqueness, contextual appropriateness, effortlessness, emotiveness, inspiredness, inflection, articulation, grace, subtlety, etc.

I would think that category 1 shouldn't be entirely ignored in order to focus on category 2, as Ella had it all together.

With all that being said, Mike Love's vocals are to the songs of The Beach Boys what Ringo Starr's drumming is to the songs of The Beatles - the perfect fulfillment of an essential role.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…