I can't - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I can't
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I can't

Yo I can't improve without knowing if Im doing fine. So please help me out add me as a friend like me and support me.

Im getting a few likes here and there and anything helps.

Enjoy.

Ryan Harvey Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaldeadman ➡️
Yo I can't improve without knowing if Im doing fine. So please help me out add me as a friend like me and support me.

Im getting a few likes here and there and anything helps.

Enjoy.

Ryan Harvey Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos
Hi, Ryan.

I've drifted pretty far from rap and hip hop over the last decade and change but I'll toss in my two cents... I listened to "Pills and the Alcohol" and "Bye Boy." (The latter maybe more synth pop rather than hip hop.)

Your delivery style, of course, is quite laid back, both in your rapping and your semi-singing in "Bye Boy." Sliding syllables over the beat requires a good grasp on the internal rhythms. Sometimes it gets a little dicey, rhythmically, here.

Now, to really work, it seems to me, rap/hip hop pretty much has to have a good foundation. Lots of bottom, lots of beat. The music is the foundation for the song and we all know what happens when you build on a weak foundation.

I'm not sure how you're developing your backtracks but they don't have a lot of curb appeal. They're distant, mixed down, and seem to lack both the bump and the blast of a good rap backtrack... Have you considered working with more stripped down tracks that might keep you more glued to the rhythmic fundament of the song. (Fundament, in addition to meaning foundation, can also be taken to mean the human buttocks. If you want people to shake their fundaments, you gotta put some bottom in those tracks. ) So, get those mixes more vibrant, more defined, and get more change into them to differentiate one part from another and lead us, using tension and release, through the song.

With regard to the semi-singing on "Bye Boy" (good title, by the way, assuming it doesn't step on some big hit title I'm not aware of [I haven't listened to commercial radio since 1985 or so, so, you know, stuff blindsides me heh ]), as you inject more melody in it, at times, it gets a little dicey, pitch wise.

However, I think it would be worth you working to develop your singing and improving that pitch. You have an attractive voice and I think I hear what you're getting at. It just needs some polishing and developing. Maybe a bit. But I think it could definitely be worthwhile.

Hope that helps somehow.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Yeah thanks a lot. Much appreciated man. Will focus slowly and return better then ever.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaldeadman ➡️
Yeah thanks a lot. Much appreciated man. Will focus slowly and return better then ever.

The great thing is, if you keep working, you will get better. It's not always obvious to you, though, as you go along. It's easy enough to get frustrated by those small obstacles that nonetheless get in the way from time to time -- but even if it's two steps forward and one step back, it's till a net gain.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…