Chord Transcribing from Midi Notes - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chord Transcribing from Midi Notes
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Chord Transcribing from Midi Notes

Sometimes I write songs on Piano, however I don't always necessarily know every chord name. I guess this is because i learn my favorite songs on piano by ear, not by sheet music. So i play different chords some inverted etc, 7th, major, minor diminshed, but I dont really know all the names.

This becomes a pain when trying to show my writing partner a new song. He plays guitar and knows all the chord names. With a basic music theory cheetsheet we can grind through most of the song and transcribe it, but it is sometimes time consuming and frustrating.

Im looking for a program to do this for me. If its 90% accurate and messes up a few times that perfectly ok with me. But it would still save alot of time.

I used to have a simple program a few years back that did this for me perfectly and was free. I would record midi in cubase and import into the program and click transcribe. But I cant remember the name, and it was for windows anyways. I have now switched to mac.

Anyone know of a program that can do this for Mac and is free or at least cheap (sub 75$)?
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
nobody has this?

doesnt at least some of the expensive notation software do this?
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark ➑️
nobody has this?

doesnt at least some of the expensive notation software do this?
I've never looked for that feature, but come to think of it, it would be kinda handy. Maybe someone can edify us...
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
yes, this one does, and it's free.
Insert Piz Here - midiChordAnalyzer
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
awesome! thanks
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

Also, Logic can do this very well with a little tweaking to your midi arrangement:

How To Create A Quick Chord Chart In Logic Pro - Logic Pro - macProVideo.com Hub
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…