Quantcast
who are your top 10 favorite producers or production influences? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
who are your top 10 favorite producers or production influences?
Old 11th September 2012
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
who are your top 10 favorite producers or production influences?

mines in no particular order


Babyface (captain obvious)

El Debarge

Mannie Fresh (from 88 -2005)


DJ Quik ( on of the most underrated geniuses in modern music smh)

Daz ( the realman behind deathrow not Dr.dre even pac will tell you)


Teddy Riley (no explanation needed)

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis aka the goats

Mantronix

Mcelroy n foster

Battlecat



other notables whove influenced me beyond greatly

john smith jeff lorber team( nu shooz production duo)

arif mardin

isaac hayes

george michael

jane child

Raphael saadiq

keith crouch

jamey jaz

Angela winbush

Marcus Miller
Old 11th September 2012
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
SMARTGUY's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Isaac Hayes
Curtis mayfield
Rza
Willie Colon
Marley marl
Ced gee
Jim Stewart
Debarge
Teo Macero
Nile Rodgers
Not in that particular order.
Old 11th September 2012
  #3
Deleted 56021e5
Guest
You can add Trevor Horn to the previous lists ! :-)
Old 11th September 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quincy Jones -- "what you need for success in the music business is three things: a great song, a great song and a great song"

QJ's philosophy is what I pay attention to the most. If a song doesn't sound great in a raw and naked arrangement with just piano or guitar -- I don't really have a song yet. I won't bother wasting time "adding drums, and layering synths" to a mediocre song in the hope that those extra sound elements will transform the song into something great. It never does. The song arrangement in its early raw state has to sell itself and bring smiles right away to the people about to invest time in recording it.

Robert John "Mutt" Lange -- stacked harmony vocal arrangements.

He has a very recognizable approach to layered vocals and you can hear the similarities on his productions of The Cars, Def Leppard, Shania Twain, etc.

There are other producers that impress me with their strong sonic imprint on various artists but I don't (consciously) take any influence them. Bob Rock, Hugh Padham, Peter Collins, etc.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTGUY ➑️
Isaac Hayes
Curtis mayfield
Rza
Willie Colon
Marley marl
Ced gee
Jim Stewart
Debarge
Teo Macero
Nile Rodgers
Not in that particular order.
very impressive list!


marleys early 90s work when he incorporated more synth bass was the **** man !smh the LL stuff tlc stuff i adore it man

and niles is sooooooooooooo slept on. man i didnt even know he was doing Madonna's stuff i love back in the day.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West ➑️
Quincy Jones -- "what you need for success in the music business is three things: a great song, a great song and a great song"

QJ's philosophy is what I pay attention to the most. If a song doesn't sound great in a raw and naked arrangement with just piano or guitar -- I don't really have a song yet. I won't bother wasting time "adding drums, and layering synths" to a mediocre song in the hope that those extra sound elements will transform the song into something great. It never does. The song arrangement in its early raw state has to sell itself and bring smiles right away to the people about to invest time in recording it.

Robert John "Mutt" Lange -- stacked harmony vocal arrangements.

He has a very recognizable approach to layered vocals and you can hear the similarities on his productions of The Cars, Def Leppard, Shania Twain, etc.

There are other producers that impress me with their strong sonic imprint on various artists but I don't (consciously) take any influence them. Bob Rock, Hugh Padham, Peter Collins, etc.
quincey is like one of the names i dont even bother adding kuz hes the godfather like rakim and kane are to the modern emcee.

and i didnt even know that was QJs philosophy. and QD# has some heat in the 90s man. his son. his hip hop work was classic from LL to pac and many others.

man quicey used to make a song in the 70s and then redo it again in the 90s and make it a hit all over. how coldblooded is that?


man the dude literally wrote everyone's pieces by hand and he could play his ass off on the keys. most people dont know that they know him as a trumpeter. ive seen him stand in as a surprise keyboardist a couple times. him and james brown can play they ass off.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 56021e5 ➑️
You can add Trevor Horn to the previous lists ! :-)
speak on it brito? im curious to his works and im gonna check your stuff out dont worry.
Old 12th September 2012
  #8
Deleted 56021e5
Guest
Check his work with Seal, it is truly magnificent !
Old 12th September 2012
  #9
Deleted 56021e5
Guest
On the dark side Trent Reznor is also a great producer. NIN "Fragile" is like an hidden gem of rock/alternative music
Old 13th September 2012
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
SMARTGUY's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUND BOMBING ➑️
very impressive list!


marleys early 90s work when he incorporated more synth bass was the **** man !smh the LL stuff tlc stuff i adore it man

and niles is sooooooooooooo slept on. man i didnt even know he was doing Madonna's stuff i love back in the day.
Marley Marl is a true innovator. At that time hip hop was looking for its own identity and although NY hip hop was regional (borough wise) he set a map for hip hop to follow. He was one of the first to make good use of James Brown samples and one of the first to (if not the first) to "play"organic drum kits and patterns in his music like a real drummer (nobody beats the biz, Eric B for president, biz markie is going off) Beats that are in part used in many songs today and even when separated from their songs are instantly recognizable (first bar of Nobody beats the biz used by Jay-z a lot). Nile Rodgers is one of the first artist that came from BEHIND the mixing console. He along with Bernard Edwards are from a class of musicians who didn't just record their song parts and go home, these guys were basically studio rats. They truly understood how to RECORD, MIX and MASTER their own tracks. They would often (as CHIC) deliver FINISHED masters to their label. This hands on experience enabled him to exact his sound on everything he did from David Bowie's Let's dance, Duran Duran's Arena and Notorious and Madonna's Like a virgin. A total start to finish producer...
Old 15th September 2012
  #11
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Max Martin
Dr.Luke
Rami Yacoub
Bjorn Ulvaeus
BennyAndersson
Greg Kurstin
George Martin
Brian Eno
Mutt Lange (vocal arrangement)
Richard Stannard
Old 18th September 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Breaks Dude's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm quite refined, actually.

Skrillex
Baha Men
Venga Boys
Those guys who did the Peanut Butter Jelly song
Carly Rae Jepson
Hanna Montana

Is there a even more definitive list??

Old 18th September 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
beau_mckee's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Pharrell Williams
Terry Date

A diverse choice, but both have really inspired me musically
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Head
 
yizetti's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➑️
I'm quite refined, actually.

Skrillex
Baha Men
Venga Boys
Those guys who did the Peanut Butter Jelly song
Carly Rae Jepson
Hanna Montana

Is there a even more definitive list??

BAHAHAHAHA. Excellent.

On the real:
J Dilla
RZA
DJ Premier
Pete Rock
Rick Rubin (specifically Slayer, RHCP & SOAD as well as Tom Petty's "Wildflowers")
Gabriel Roth & Neil Sugarman (love that Daptone retro-soul sound)
Quincy Jones & Bruce Swedien (Thriller, 'nuff said)
Dr. Dre & Daz Dillinger (absolutely true about Daz being a huge part of the Death Row/G-Funk sound)
Steve Albini
Q-Tip (Low End Theory has been a guiding light for me since 1992)
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Head
 
yizetti's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee ➑️
Pharrell Williams
Terry Date

A diverse choice, but both have really inspired me musically
Absolutely agree. The Pantera albums are still some of my all-time favorites.

Loved how Pharrell & the Neptunes changed the sound of the last decade in hip-hop and R&B.
Old 19th September 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Mefistophelees's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
In no particular order (other than Rupert Hine at the top):

Rupert Hine (Chris de Burgh, Howard Jones, Bob Geldof, Himself)
Hugh Padgham (Genesis, The Police)
Christopher Neil (Mike and the Mechanics)
Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)
Trevor Horn (long list!)
Daniel Lanois (Peter Gabriel, U2)
Jeff Wayne (War of the Worlds)
Chris Hughes (Tears for Fears)
Jean-Michel Jarre (Himself)
Do I need to say ...Quincy Jones
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 56021e5 ➑️
Check his work with Seal, it is truly magnificent !
got any links?
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by yizetti ➑️
Absolutely agree. The Pantera albums are still some of my all-time favorites.

Loved how Pharrell & the Neptunes changed the sound of the last decade in hip-hop and R&B.
you mean mainly chad hugo changed the face f the last decade
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➑️
In no particular order (other than Rupert Hine at the top):

Rupert Hine (Chris de Burgh, Howard Jones, Bob Geldof, Himself)
Hugh Padgham (Genesis, The Police)
Christopher Neil (Mike and the Mechanics)
Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)
Trevor Horn (long list!)
Daniel Lanois (Peter Gabriel, U2)
Jeff Wayne (War of the Worlds)
Chris Hughes (Tears for Fears)
Jean-Michel Jarre (Himself)
Do I need to say ...Quincy Jones
Are you from america?
Old 24th September 2012
  #20
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
George Martin
Quincy
Rick Rubin
RZA
Terry Date
KLC
Manny Fresh
Dame Grease
Daz
DJ Quik
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #21
Deleted 56021e5
Guest
yes, this CD is almost mandatory to listen, the vocal and instrumental production is brilliant


Amazon.com: Seal: Seal: Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUND BOMBING ➑️
got any links?
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertbfw ➑️
George Martin
Quincy
Rick Rubin
RZA
Terry Date
KLC
Manny Fresh
Dame Grease
Daz
DJ Quik


you know your ****!! how old are you?!! Pm me we need to chop it up!! asap!
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebrito ➑️
yes, this CD is almost mandatory to listen, the vocal and instrumental production is brilliant


Amazon.com: Seal: Seal: Music
you my homeboy from before. I like you so ill definetly check it out. and I still havent forgot what we talked about Im gonna check it out.
Old 25th September 2012
  #24
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUND BOMBING ➑️


you know your ****!! how old are you?!! Pm me we need to chop it up!! asap!
Appreciate man. I'm 32 going on 17. Just got a ear for good ****.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Mefistophelees's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUND BOMBING ➑️
Are you from america?
No, why would you think that?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➑️
No, why would you think that?
I didnt thats why I asked. where your from? I love foreigners.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #27
Gear Maniac
 
SOUND BOMBING's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertbfw ➑️
Appreciate man. I'm 32 going on 17. Just got a ear for good ****.
not just a ear a historical perspective man and a deep care. For you to put up dame is some real **** man smh. props on top of props. do you produce? if so pm me some of your stuff
Old 26th September 2012
  #28
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUND BOMBING ➑️
not just a ear a historical perspective man and a deep care. For you to put up dame is some real **** man smh. props on top of props. do you produce? if so pm me some of your stuff
Yea I'm just getting into some producing. Nothing majorYET. Check out my soundcloud. It's under Robert Belcher. I got some little ole bs snippets and stuff.
Old 26th September 2012
  #29
Lives for gear
 
baskervils's Avatar
Mitch Easter
Brian Eno
Steve Lillywhite
Serge Gainsbourg
Rogerio Duprat (Tropicalia)
Abdias (Forro' aka music from northeastern Brazil)
Chic
Shel Talmy
Mickie Most
George Martin
Trevor Horn
Jonathan King
Frank Farian
Mike Chapman
Mack
Old 26th September 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 
tjporter's Avatar
"Machines that sound close to a real drummer are as stupid as synthesizers that try to sound like a real instrument." - Conny Plank

Conny Plank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great interview:Man vs. Machine: Conny Plank
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump