Quantcast
Post your "finished" demos here - Page 183 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 26th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

critique please

Would love mix notes on this one, too... please... thx!

Longer by BrotherBrim | Brother Brim | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 27th April 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi all,

I just got this back from the engineer. I was very meticulous sending him message after message for little fixes here and there. I asked if the "Final" version was mastered because I couldn't tell by it's volume level. I posted it on soundcloud and realized there was not enough punch or impact in comparison to other artist's songs. So, I did a quick Lo Master on LANDR and re-uploaded it. Tell me your thoughts not only on the mix or master but the song itself and everything and anything in between.

Cheeers!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️

I would definitely give the kick drum a couple more dbs. The mix is a bit busy but still manages to remain composed to my ears.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny ➡️
Good tune....voted.
Much appreciated. :-)
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossbanter ➡️
Hi all,

I just got this back from the engineer. I was very meticulous sending him message after message for little fixes here and there. I asked if the "Final" version was mastered because I couldn't tell by it's volume level. I posted it on soundcloud and realized there was not enough punch or impact in comparison to other artist's songs. So, I did a quick Lo Master on LANDR and re-uploaded it. Tell me your thoughts not only on the mix or master but the song itself and everything and anything in between.

Cheeers!
I thinks the mix works. But the production maybe lacks a little of bit something extra to it.. something that would add just a little more ambience and special vibe to the song? This tune also IMHO could use a moment or two to just breathe and give the listener a chance to vibe with the beat. After the rap starts, it really just goes on all the way to almost the end of the song.

And this I've also said to others: Think twice if a fade-out ending is the best way to finish a modern rap tune? Sometimes it could be, but definitely not always, heck probably not even most of the time.
Old 27th April 2018
Here for the gear

Oh wow - this thread - what a find! I love discovering new, less known stuff. Going to be some time spent combing through here......
Old 28th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 ➡️
I would definitely give the kick drum a couple more dbs. The mix is a bit busy but still manages to remain composed to my ears.
Good note... there’s not enough kick hits in this tune... I think I’ll re track
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Too much mid-range needs more high and low end IMO...
Old 28th April 2018
Here for the gear

In Search Of Feedback

Hi all,

Thank u!
Old 28th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just finished up this one....

Home Town Boy
SoundClick artist: Leonard Scaper - Ballad Rock
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Head

J’aimerais bien

J’aimerais bien

"I would like
to paint a mirror on my village
when the night is sad and she does not get dressed or make up
to always reflect the moon and the stars
and that dreams find a way to be flowers and magicians
in this big emptiness that does not care about all the hours and seconds that make the watch that binds us to our time

I would like
to paint a mirror on my village when the heat
becomes tyrant and burns the fields
to reflect all the clouds that wander from the arm of the winds
and that the rain pours its jugs from time to time"

Best Regards
Old 29th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Home Town Boy
As always, nice song!

I personally would try changing a the odd word to see if anything feels better. For instance I would try " feel like leaving" in place of "feel like going", as it just has a smoother quality to it. I would then may be change the word "go" in the line "are you really going to go" to "run", for the same reason, it's a rounder word and also you gave the word go a few other times.

These are only suggestions and no criticism of the lyrics etc.

Think The Shires would sound awesome singing this btw! I can imagine REM going a few of your others as well.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Nalgaber ➡️
J’aimerais bien

"I would like
to paint a mirror on my village
when the night is sad and she does not get dressed or make up
to always reflect the moon and the stars
and that dreams find a way to be flowers and magicians
in this big emptiness that does not care about all the hours and seconds that make the watch that binds us to our time

I would like
to paint a mirror on my village when the heat
becomes tyrant and burns the fields
to reflect all the clouds that wander from the arm of the winds
and that the rain pours its jugs from time to time"

Best Regards
Well that was interesting.
Didn't hear any of those lyrics.
I like the music. The lyrics...no idea as they're in French and sung by a woman who sounds like she's had a 40 a day habit for forty years and was once on the cast of Allo Allo.

Still, it has a nice feel; good job.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_some_dude ➡️
Well that was interesting.
Didn't hear any of those lyrics.
I like the music. The lyrics...no idea as they're in French and sung by a woman who sounds like she's had a 40 a day habit for forty years and was once on the cast of Allo Allo.

Still, it has a nice feel; good job.
The translation is right below the video. Regards
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk ➡️
As always, nice song!

I personally would try changing a the odd word to see if anything feels better. For instance I would try " feel like leaving" in place of "feel like going", as it just has a smoother quality to it. I would then may be change the word "go" in the line "are you really going to go" to "run", for the same reason, it's a rounder word and also you gave the word go a few other times.

These are only suggestions and no criticism of the lyrics etc.

Think The Shires would sound awesome singing this btw! I can imagine REM going a few of your others as well.
Thanks for checking this one out....pretty interesting musical comparisons.

Funny that you brought up those lyric possibilities because as this tune was coming together I did sing both of those changes at different times. Not really sure why I went with one and not the other at tracking time.
Old 30th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Home Town Boy
I would be interested to hear it with some diff effects settings, maybe a lighter reverb etc...bring it up front a bit more. FWIW Like the subtle strings in the background, just enough, that's so easy to overdo IMO. Is that a VSTi? Which if I may ask?
Old 30th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 ➡️
I would be interested to hear it with some diff effects settings, maybe a lighter reverb etc...bring it up front a bit more. FWIW Like the subtle strings in the background, just enough, that's so easy to overdo IMO. Is that a VSTi? Which if I may ask?
Interesting about the reverb setting. I have always had things so dry...been trying to get a better handle on reverb by sending more to the bus but compressing the bus with the raw track in the hope of accentuating the verb tail mostly.......still lots of work to do on that technique I think.

Even more interesting about the strings as I get really nervous about using anything that is not a real instrument. Those are from a 1990's Ensoniq rack synth. I play them in through my keyboard....no MIDI. The main patch is called "Warm Bath" and there is also a "Cello/Violin" patch that I put together.

Thanks for checking this one out, Bill. I always appreciate your insight.
Old 1st May 2018
Old 1st May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Last week I wrote a happy song about the music bizz, so I wondered what it would be like to write a sad song to see if I could conjure up that feeling in the music. And if the crowd I'm playing to sucks, I can sing em this one, it'd called "It's Killin' Me"

Last edited by Rockabilly69; 2nd May 2018 at 10:45 AM..
Old 1st May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 ➡️
Too much mid-range needs more high and low end IMO...
Remixed... added a gtr part, replaced drums, some eq moves:

Notes, please!
Old 2nd May 2018
Gear Head

As if I were in another window - (Mistery Song)

As if I were in another window - (Mistery Song)

Best Regards,

Marcus & Mora
Old 3rd May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:

Notes, please!
I referenced this to some Tom Petty tracks (figured you'd consider this a decent reference?) and I still feel that the kick drum could stand out a bit more in the mix just to give more support to the the song's groove and provide stronger foundation to the rhythm together with the bass gtr. Check out Tom Petty's "Turn This Car Around" for reference.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 ➡️
I referenced this to some Tom Petty tracks (figured you'd consider this a decent reference?) and I still feel that the kick drum could stand out a bit more in the mix just to give more support to the the song's groove and provide stronger foundation to the rhythm together with the bass gtr. Check out Tom Petty's "Turn This Car Around" for reference.
That is a great reference

I’ll listen to that track thx
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Notes, please!
Agree with the previous poster; this track is kind of harsh in the mid-range.

Think a big part of the issue is that the two dominant tracks in the mix - the lead vocals and the guitars - are both pretty heavily saturated, in the same general frequency range, and with nothing filling out the mix below them in the spectrum (like, say, where a sustained keyboard EP/other chordal comp part might live). So there's what feels like a massive 1k (ish) overload in the mix.

The saturated vocals are an integral part of your sound (at least based on the tracks I've listened to through this forum), and usually work well in context; but in this particular track/mix, something has to give.
Old 4th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T ➡️
Agree with the previous poster; this track is kind of harsh in the mid-range.

Think a big part of the issue is that the two dominant tracks in the mix - the lead vocals and the guitars - are both pretty heavily saturated, in the same general frequency range, and with nothing filling out the mix below them in the spectrum (like, say, where a sustained keyboard EP/other chordal comp part might live). So there's what feels like a massive 1k (ish) overload in the mix.

The saturated vocals are an integral part of your sound (at least based on the tracks I've listened to through this forum), and usually work well in context; but in this particular track/mix, something has to give.
Hmm... good notes

I’ll try some inverse eq on gtrs/vox. I have some pretty agreesive cuts in the gtrs to make room for vox, but, I think those cuts are more in the lower mids.

Maybe if I boost the low mids and cut around 1k im the gtrs

I thought about a b3 part, but, g*ddamn I have so much stuff packed in there already lol

I also really cut the bottom and low end out of the acoustic gtrs... maybe I should dial some of that back in too

Thx guys!! Super helpful
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hmm... good notes

I’ll try some inverse eq on gtrs/vox. I have some pretty agreesive cuts in the gtrs to make room for vox, but, I think those cuts are more in the lower mids.
FWIW (which is Owen code for "this is something I figured out for myself, rather than saw on an episode of Penasdo's Place, so it may or may not be BS"), I think the main vocal-intelligibility range is right around 1k; meaning if you band-solo any commercial mix at say 125Hz, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, etc the 1k octave is where you will most clearly hear what words the singer is singing. (And, actually, I do remember an Into The Lair where DP mentioned that boosting that region for vocals had become hip again - or, at least, no longer something engineers had to avoid.) For that reason, whenever there are sustained guitars - especially saturated ones - that's an area I to scoop out some room for the vocals.

Anyway, that where my thinking has been most recently on saturated rhythm guitar. I also feel like distorted guitars are so broad-band that it's okay to scoop them wherever the hell you feel like it to make room for something that can't be pushed/pulled quite so freely in the frequency spectrum - like, say, a vocal. (That's what I tell my guitars if ever they get upset that I'm carving them up.)
Lives for gear

Quote:
FWIW (which is Owen code for "this is something I figured out for myself, rather than saw on an episode of Penasdo's Place, so it may or may not be BS"), I think the main vocal-intelligibility range is right around 1k; meaning if you band-solo any commercial mix at say 125Hz, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, etc the 1k octave is where you will most clearly hear what words the singer is singing. (And, actually, I do remember an Into The Lair where DP mentioned that boosting that region for vocals had become hip again - or, at least, no longer something engineers had to avoid.) For that reason, whenever there are sustained guitars - especially saturated ones - that's an area I to scoop out some room for the vocals.

Anyway, that where my thinking has been most recently on saturated rhythm guitar. I also feel like distorted guitars are so broad-band that it's okay to scoop them wherever the hell you feel like it to make room for something that can't be pushed/pulled quite so freely in the frequency spectrum - like, say, a vocal. (That's what I tell my guitars if ever they get upset that I'm carving them up.)
I’m THIS close to hiring a mixer to do my stuff... lol

As an aside... my fancy room is all dialed in... it’s amazing just how awful my older mixes sound... that’s gonna be a full time job just remixing the ol’ library

What you say is great stuff... maybe I’ll do it fancy and sidechain a dynamic eq to “duck” the gtrs at around 1k when my vox is playing... why fancy? Because I’ve bought every GD plugin because of gas.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
maybe I’ll do it fancy and sidechain a dynamic eq to “duck” the gtrs at around 1k when my vox is playing... why fancy? Because I’ve bought every GD plugin because of gas.
Ha! That was also one of my first thoughts when I started to target that area in guitars - on the basis that I was messing with the natural sound of the guitar (as if there's anything "natural" about distorted electric guitars) so a side-chained dynamic EQ would be better.

But then I realised that if the guitars, from the get go, had 5 or 6 dB taken out at 1k, then that's what listeners (and my) ears accept as the "natural" sound of those guitars; but try side-chaining that kind of EQ and - ironically - it's likely to be more noticeable than just scooping and leaving. YMMV.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ha! That was also one of my first thoughts when I started to target that area in guitars - on the basis that I was messing with the natural sound of the guitar (as if there's anything "natural" about distorted electric guitars) so a side-chained dynamic EQ would be better.

But then I realised that if the guitars, from the get go, had 5 or 6 dB taken out at 1k, then that's what listeners (and my) ears accept as the "natural" sound of those guitars; but try side-chaining that kind of EQ and - ironically - it's likely to be more noticeable than just scooping and leaving. YMMV.
F u dude! Don’t mess with my process!

(My process: throwing every whiz bang tool at a problem and then hours later removing all of them for a boring eq bundled with my daw!)

Thx again for your ears...
Old 4th May 2018
Gear Addict

Good stuff @ Owen L T and @ bgood , I am learning new things! In a perfect world this is the sort of quality discussion we would be having and reading about each "finished demo" track posted here..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…