The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 30th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy ➡️
Ok, so I probably wasn't clear enough in my original post. What I meant by spikiness had nothing to do with the visual of the waveform. I was describing what I was hearing. There are a lot of untamed transients across the board, including guitars and vocals and I was surmising that the mix bus compressor was not reacting to these peaks because it was dealing with larger peaks and not getting to the lower level stuff because of this. I also surmised that those peaks that were doing the most triggering were drum related since those generally are the main culprits.

So, compressing the individual drum tracks will reduce the transients as it will on any instrument channel depending on the attack speed and threshold. Doing it this way can suck the life out of the drums however, since the attack of the drum is crucial to the groove. Which is why parallel processing.

Parallel squashing does not reduce the peak of the original, that is correct. What it is doing is creating a version of the sound that has little or no attack but lot's of sustain and brings up the level of everything after the attack.
When you add that to the original track you have not lowered the peak, instead the whole sound gets raised to be closer to the peak, thus keeping the transient intact while still making the material's perceived volume much higher, which in turn allows us to turn down the total volume of the material.
This appears to lower the peak value when actually we have raised the RMS value.

Adding saturation before or during compressing, adds harmonics which also increases the perceived volume. Plus it sounds cool. Adding all that stuff can make your drums(or anything) loud and in your face("presence") without having the huge difference between the transient peak and the rest of the sound. That let's the bus compressor do it's job better.

Having it parallel allows us to dial in exactly how much it is up front and present. Trying to do this on the original track does not work quite as well and is more frustrating IMO.

PS it also allows for more overall level of the entire mix.
Ok, thanks for that breakdown. That's very clear and well explained. Thanks dude.
Old 1st February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy ➡️
Ok, so I probably wasn't clear enough in my original post. What I meant by spikiness had nothing to do with the visual of the waveform. I was describing what I was hearing. There are a lot of untamed transients across the board, including guitars and vocals and I was surmising that the mix bus compressor was not reacting to these peaks because it was dealing with larger peaks and not getting to the lower level stuff because of this. I also surmised that those peaks that were doing the most triggering were drum related since those generally are the main culprits.

So, compressing the individual drum tracks will reduce the transients as it will on any instrument channel depending on the attack speed and threshold. Doing it this way can suck the life out of the drums however, since the attack of the drum is crucial to the groove. Which is why parallel processing.

Parallel squashing does not reduce the peak of the original, that is correct. What it is doing is creating a version of the sound that has little or no attack but lot's of sustain and brings up the level of everything after the attack.
When you add that to the original track you have not lowered the peak, instead the whole sound gets raised to be closer to the peak, thus keeping the transient intact while still making the material's perceived volume much higher, which in turn allows us to turn down the total volume of the material.
This appears to lower the peak value when actually we have raised the RMS value.

Adding saturation before or during compressing, adds harmonics which also increases the perceived volume. Plus it sounds cool. Adding all that stuff can make your drums(or anything) loud and in your face("presence") without having the huge difference between the transient peak and the rest of the sound. That let's the bus compressor do it's job better.

Having it parallel allows us to dial in exactly how much it is up front and present. Trying to do this on the original track does not work quite as well and is more frustrating IMO.

PS it also allows for more overall level of the entire mix.
Great tips there, about having saturation before the compressor and using parallel compression to increase RMS levels.
Old 8th February 2022

I actually like this song a lot. The direction, the ambience. The recording has its quirks, like the sweet chitter-chatter of birds from an open window (at the start) and a feedback squeal that you'd think was intentional. Not to mention the beautiful, wholesome lyrics and musical performance.

I think a grand-rolling timpani part with cymbal clash would do well in the composition during the peak of the song.
Old 8th February 2022
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Just listening to Comfort Queen.

The guitar is dominating the vocals. The extreme sizzle of the guitar is kind of cool in one way, but I think this needs taming a lot when the vocals come in. You could try a dynamic EQ if you'd prefer over straight EQ, as this may retain more of the charm are the sizzle?

The vocals sound very roomy, which I'm guessing is part of the recording rather than added, although it seems you have added verb as well. I cleaner vocal may make it stand out more in the mix. Try chorus and some delay rather than verb.
Old 8th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer ➡️

I actually like this song a lot. The direction, the ambience. The recording has its quirks, like the sweet chitter-chatter of birds from an open window (at the start) and a feedback squeal that you'd think was intentional. Not to mention the beautiful, wholesome lyrics and musical performance.

I think a grand-rolling timpani part with cymbal clash would do well in the composition during the peak of the song.
I enjoyed the listen, despite the length and how sparse it is. I didn't get bored.

Everything seemed too distant to me, close miking might make it more intimate, I thinks bass, drums and other elements could be added and removed at different stages.

I thought I could hear Lennon, Soundgarden and Buckley influences.

Keep creative, you seem to have a talent.
Old 9th February 2022
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Here's song I've been kicking around for two weeks. One week for tracking, and I've been fumbling with the mix this past week.

Recording notes:
Drums are an old Pearl kit & Ludwig aluminum snr, C451 over. EV RE16 close snare. PL20 in kick. Three mics, that's it.
Bass is Lakland USA direct. JDI box>SCA N72>Teletronix LA2A
Guitars Les Paul, Strat, Jassmaster. Silvertone 1960's Twin Twelve & 64 Vibrolux Reverb. e609>N72>Heritage HA609A
Horns, NORD Stage73 & Roland DS88 (need to get a few guys over to replace those with real).
Congas LP, a single C414 EB into N72>LA2A. Part played twice & spread LR
The one bubbly synth sound is an old Alesis sound module patch.
Vocals, mix of U87 and iSK 2B Beauty. N72>LA2A and/or 160VU & Heritage 609.

All comments/critiques welcome and appreciated. Thanks!!
Attached Files

One More Hit 2_8.mp3 (8.04 MB, 38 views)

Old 9th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'll venture my opinion because I like this. I'm a fan of musical hooks as well as lyrical ones. I like the big drums. I like the feel and vocal hook. I might try bringing in a single hat hit on the 2 and 4 on the fourth measure of the intro just to give the listener something else to grab onto. Automating the level a touch as it goes to the drums would give it a little more build at the beginning. On my small Tivoli's I'm still struggling with the vocals being a tad low. Not so much on my big system..though sometimes it seems a little low and at others it's about right. It might also be that in the verse and chorus the keys are pushing against that vocal a bit. It might just be carving out a little space for the vocal on those. It might be just gain riding vocals, horns or both a bit here and there. Mixing a double in under it low would give it more weight. The voice has a nice character and works for this. As I said, maybe I'm just looking for a little more weight to it. I might try at least doubling that vocal in the chorus and mixing it in low, as well as raising that falsetto in the backround a little. It's a good hook, but to me it could pop a little more. Also, if it were mine, I might experiment with a little more tight delay on that solo. I like it and like the tone, but again on my systems it could just be a tad stronger I think. Also I agree about the horns. Real horns would add a lot to that hook and to the overall production. Again, I'm not a big fan of critiques or suggestions. Ask 10 people and you get 10 opinions. Bottom line, it's what you like. Overall I think it's a nice piece. I can hear people singing along with the hook and getting into the beat. I look forward to hearing it when you get a final mix.
Lenny
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo ➡️
I'll venture my opinion because I like this. I'm a fan of musical hooks as well as lyrical ones. I like the big drums. I like the feel and vocal hook. I might try bringing in a single hat hit on the 2 and 4 on the fourth measure of the intro just to give the listener something else to grab onto. Automating the level a touch as it goes to the drums would give it a little more build at the beginning. On my small Tivoli's I'm still struggling with the vocals being a tad low. Not so much on my big system..though sometimes it seems a little low and at others it's about right. It might also be that in the verse and chorus the keys are pushing against that vocal a bit. It might just be carving out a little space for the vocal on those. It might be just gain riding vocals, horns or both a bit here and there. Mixing a double in under it low would give it more weight. The voice has a nice character and works for this. As I said, maybe I'm just looking for a little more weight to it. I might try at least doubling that vocal in the chorus and mixing it in low, as well as raising that falsetto in the backround a little. It's a good hook, but to me it could pop a little more. Also, if it were mine, I might experiment with a little more tight delay on that solo. I like it and like the tone, but again on my systems it could just be a tad stronger I think. Also I agree about the horns. Real horns would add a lot to that hook and to the overall production. Again, I'm not a big fan of critiques or suggestions. Ask 10 people and you get 10 opinions. Bottom line, it's what you like. Overall I think it's a nice piece. I can hear people singing along with the hook and getting into the beat. I look forward to hearing it when you get a final mix.
Lenny
Thanks so much for the fantastic mixing and arrangement detail points. I can hear every single one of these ideas being an improvement.

It's so difficult for the singer to mix the vocal correctly, because people get shy about their own voice, and you know the lines so intimately that you hear them clearly even if they are a bit low-balanced.

I had a hat in the beginning, and it went away from some reason. I can see how the beat could be turned around, and then create some confusion when the share kicks in. Need a foundation in that intro. Again, I know it, so I can't hear it from the first listen POV.

I can now hear how the chorus/hook performance is a bit weak. It needs more emphasis to really drive it home as the hook; maybe like a gear shift thing. Up the energy. A low add and some more emotion in the delivery could do that for it. I'll probably have my wife sing the high part to eliminate the relative weakness of a falsetto voice. I ain't no Prince But she could bring some "soul power." And a different voice timbre would create a needed sonic shift.

I'm craving those real horns, but it might be a while to get there. Why did I play upright bass in HS band instead of sax, damnit! I'll have to bust out the wallet and hire some friends, if there's no quid-pro-quo opps right now. I hate asking people to do things for free unless I can respond back quickly.

Again, thanks for listening, and much appreciation for the most excellent suggestions. This helps immensely with polishing this thing.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Wow, very cool. I skipped over the posts after the song, so my thoughts wouldn't be reactions to other people's.

• Great song
• What's the time signature?
• The congas at the top -- cool part -- did you try backing up the mic and hitting harder?
• Could the horns use a little less "nose?"
• Do the horns work better NOT right down the middle?
• Is the vocal a little bit held-back? Is 100% of your qi coming down the wire?
• I love the -- don't take this the wrong way -- "messiness" of it. It's very Andy Johns. It could easily get too tidy.
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
Wow, very cool. I skipped over the posts after the song, so my thoughts wouldn't be reactions to other people's.

• Great song
• What's the time signature?
• The congas at the top -- cool part -- did you try backing up the mic and hitting harder?
• Could the horns use a little less "nose?"
• Do the horns work better NOT right down the middle?
• Is the vocal a little bit held-back? Is 100% of your qi coming down the wire?
• I love the -- don't take this the wrong way -- "messiness" of it. It's very Andy Johns. It could easily get too tidy.
Thanks Brent!

It's 4/4. The vocals get way off the common time path at times in the verses with the beginning and ending of phrases, and how the last lines in the verses dovetail into the chorus space. I sang it straight first, but then went back and screwed with the timing.

Congas are, as you obviously heard, close mic. It's a 414 in fig 8 between the congas. I will try re-tracking and giving it more poop. You're right that more aggressive congas would put energy into the mix.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "nose." too much punch in the front? And yeah, they are mono center. I'll try some panning. Mostly this is LCR mix. I've been kind of hung up on that lately, and not even partial panning anything. But that could actually give the horns their own space, IDK. I'll give it a shot.

Vocal performance is held back somewhat. I can sort of push things more in the studio, but it starts to get affected sounding, and not in a good Eddie Vedder way. I might try some different techniques, to simulate live performance. When I sing at gigs, I let it fly, and I need to find that live gig space.

Thanks... That messiness is exactly what I'm after. I have a natural tendency to clean things up too much, and get sterile, and I fight that tendency. Like the drums; I lay them first, and if it feels good, I leave all warts where they are. Then I respond to those drums when playing everything else, as if I'm jamming with someone who is not me. But I want to keep going back and re-tracking the drums until they are dead on, but I fight that urge. Same with everything else. If it feels good, I leave it, as if a band played live in studio, and there were inconsistencies, but it's a good take, so it's done. If I clam bad, I'll punch, but I try to get the take whole.
Like the lead, It had to be one statement, beginning to end. Punching and comping makes it more perfect, but the message gets lost. The message is more important for me. So yeah, I actively avoid too tidy by leaving performances unmolested when possible.

So many things in just these two posts to try. All such great comments from alternate POV. Thanks so much!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
Not sure exactly what you mean by "nose."
Whenever (most) people talk to me about specific frequencies, I want to smack them. That said, I meant the 1k neighborhood.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
And, not to complicate things, but have you ever stuck an additional mic under (not in) the bottom of a conga or djembe? If you're revisiting the conga part anyway, might be worth a listen.
Old 10th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sounds really good. I like the vibe. My only comment is, I don't hear enough panning . It sounds sort of busy in the middle. I could hear those guitars get panned a lot further right and left.

I been listening to some old Wishbone Ash records and those guys had that dual guitar thing happening and you can hear the way they spread out the busy guitars around the 3 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnsZ...589145&index=3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk ➡️
Just listening to Comfort Queen.
The guitar is dominating the vocals. The extreme sizzle of the guitar is kind of cool in one way, but I think this needs taming a lot when the vocals come in. You could try a dynamic EQ if you'd prefer over straight EQ, as this may retain more of the charm are the sizzle?
The vocals sound very roomy, which I'm guessing is part of the recording rather than added, although it seems you have added verb as well. I cleaner vocal may make it stand out more in the mix. Try chorus and some delay rather than verb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodlist ➡️
I enjoyed the listen, despite the length and how sparse it is. I didn't get bored.
Everything seemed too distant to me, close miking might make it more intimate, I thinks bass, drums and other elements could be added and removed at different stages.
I thought it could go in a Lennon, Soundgarden or Buckley direction.
Keep creative, you seem to have a talent.
Yeah, theres room sound in it, thats where the Re-verb comes from. It was just one mic, an AT2020 that i set up. And Ray just played guitar and sang into it. I just doubled the take and panned left and right for the extra FX. Then he tracked a bass part. Its just low in the mix, but definately there. Yes other parts are to be added, Im sure. I suggested violin/cello parts and Ray wants a sax in there. I believe, there is going to be another version. This was just a quick demo from 2019.
Thank you for listening and your comments, I appreciate your time and thoughts.
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Whenever (most) people talk to me about specific frequencies, I want to smack them. That said, I meant the 1k neighborhood.
Cool, noted. I'll give that a shot... softening the horn harsh mids.

Quote:
And, not to complicate things, but have you ever stuck an additional mic under (not in) the bottom of a conga or djembe? If you're revisiting the conga part anyway, might be worth a listen.
No, I have never tried that. Hey why not! Put it on a separate track, and season to taste. Thanks!
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode ➡️
Sounds really good. I like the vibe. My only comment is, I don't hear enough panning . It sounds sort of busy in the middle. I could hear those guitars get panned a lot further right and left.

I been listening to some old Wishbone Ash records and those guys had that dual guitar thing happening and you can hear the way they spread out the busy guitars around the 3 min mark.
Thanks man! Yeah, Storytime... I've been a huge fan of Wishbone Ash since the first albums. I'd go see them whenever they came to Chicago, and then our company, IRS, was owned by Miles, their manager. I went to a party in London at Miles' house and Andy Powell and Ted Turner were there. I was knocked out! We chatted music and gear for a while. Starstruck!!

Anyhoo... there seems to be a small consensus that the middle is busy in this mix; probably a result of me pushing my LCR thing too far. I'm going to have a hard look at that, and pan things out, leaving more space in the middle for kick, bass and vocals.

Appreciate the listen and the comments, telecode!
Old 13th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here's song I've been kicking around for two weeks. One week for tracking, and I've been fumbling with the mix this past week.

Recording notes:
Drums are an old Pearl kit & Ludwig aluminum snr, C451 over. EV RE16 close snare. PL20 in kick. Three mics, that's it.
Bass is Lakland USA direct. JDI box>SCA N72>Teletronix LA2A
Guitars Les Paul, Strat, Jassmaster. Silvertone 1960's Twin Twelve & 64 Vibrolux Reverb. e609>N72>Heritage HA609A
Horns, NORD Stage73 & Roland DS88 (need to get a few guys over to replace those with real).
Congas LP, a single C414 EB into N72>LA2A. Part played twice & spread LR
The one bubbly synth sound is an old Alesis sound module patch.
Vocals, mix of U87 and iSK 2B Beauty. N72>LA2A and/or 160VU & Heritage 609.

Dude, this sounds great! Love the riffing, the hookiness, and the off-the-wall sort of style to it. Id listen to it again for sure. I heard plenty of room in the middle too. I dont know if you changed since the "busy in the middle" comment, but I dont agree with that opinion at all. Great work
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years

Hey all, Id love to get some feedback on this one.

Full story: I ate mushrooms friday night and wrote and recorded this song. Its not a typical "I wrote this on mushrooms" song. Its pretty much straight boogie rock.

But, because of its vintagey vibes, I mixed it in mono. I actually might mix in mono more often. I kind of really like how the flow of mixing goes in mono. Pretty cool.

Anyway, Im not sold on the lyrics and vocal melody. I kind of think its a bit cliche in spots but I'll see what you all think.

Finally, this is the first tune I recorded on my new 500 series setup. First module I bought is an SSL SixCh and I tracked the vocals and bass through it. This thing is sooo good. So much easier to get the sounds to sit right.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!
Old 13th February 2022
Lives for gear

I like your vocal and singing. Thought the guitars might have been a tick robust for the drums. But overall, I like it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcoholByVolume ➡️

Full story: I ate mushrooms friday night and wrote and recorded this song. Its not a typical "I wrote this on mushrooms" song. Its pretty much straight boogie rock.

But, because of its vintagey vibes, I mixed it in mono. I actually might mix in mono more often. I kind of really like how the flow of mixing goes in mono. Pretty cool.

Anyway, Im not sold on the lyrics and vocal melody. I kind of think its a bit cliche in spots but I'll see what you all think.

Finally, this is the first tune I recorded on my new 500 series setup. First module I bought is an SSL SixCh and I tracked the vocals and bass through it. This thing is sooo good. So much easier to get the sounds to sit right.

Keep eating the mushrooms, this is brilliant!....Has an early Deep Purple feel to it, would love to hear Ian Gillan have a crack at it, though your vocal is excellent. I only have Shitake mushrooms to hand right now, but I'm going to try them anyway.
Old 14th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people ➡️
I like your vocal and singing. Thought the guitars might have been a tick robust for the drums. But overall, I like it.
Thanks! I kind of felt the same about the guitars. They kind of disappear a bit if I lower the volume, but I might be able to eq the parallel track a little bit softer and take the edge off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump ➡️
Keep eating the mushrooms, this is brilliant!....Has an early Deep Purple feel to it, would love to hear Ian Gillan have a crack at it, though your vocal is excellent. I only have Shitake mushrooms to hand right now, but I'm going to try them anyway.
Haha, I love writing while shroomin. Always seem to go in directions I might go in not otherwise. Not sure shiitakes will get the job done, but if they do, let me know please!

But thank you! I think I'm gonna have to go listen to some early deep purple now 😁
Old 14th February 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
me like!

g
Old 18th February 2022
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug ➡️
Huge props to the Gearslutz Gods for providing this forum!

This is a thread to post rough demos of songs, for critique NOT of production but of composition. So out-of-tune vocals or crappy recordings are totally fine -- this is about the song, not the performance.

Here's a song I just finished but am still noodling on. What I like about it so far is the chordal structure, the way the chorus kicks in, and the way it keeps on modulating. Not sure about the lyrics yet.

>>> https://soundcloud.com/user-54415704...ut-a-heartache

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbIp_oTFoI

Verse1:
Not a thing could've changed my world, relationships are not even real
Said I didn't notice when it's gone
I set the fire, tried to burn that wall, I have not make sure that no one gets killed
Said I didn't notice the thing is wrong

Pre-chorus:
You listen, party people can't lose their control and lose their vibes
Now watching, just follow my lead, to reorganize that the feelings inside

Chorus:
It ain't nothing but a heartache, and I used to dance with you, like no one else could ever do
It ain't nothing but a heartache, and I was in love with you, now it's all gone by in your move

Verse2:
As my mind got to feel alone, I thought your love has got to be real
Said I didn't notice when it's gone
I pulled some water into my cold zone, need to grow some plants in the barren world
Said I didn't notice the thing is wrong

Pre-chorus:
You listen, party people can't lose their control and lose their vibes
Now watching, just follow my lead, to reorganize that the feelings inside

Chorus:
It ain't nothing but a heartache, and I used to dance with you, like no one else could ever do
It ain't nothing but a heartache, and I was in love with you, now it's all gone by in your move
It ain't nothing but a heartache
Old 18th February 2022
Lives for gear

What do you think of the mix here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-18690862...social_sharing

Thanks
Old 18th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people ➡️
What do you think of the mix here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-18690862...social_sharing

Thanks
This is very catchy. It sound nice and clear to me.
Old 18th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Here's one I did a quick remix on and added a bongo part. The overall mix was analog but put through Fairchild (plugin) at the end. Vocal effects are Ensoniq DP4. Vocal compression is Portico 5043. Sang and performed everything on it. Song is called 'Screened'. Is a folky, rock, lamentation on life and lessons learned.

Screened

Now is not the time
To pretend your life away
I'm counting down the days
I have left to be grateful

I've fallen through the clouds
To my knees
There's nothing left for me
To believe
I wanted more for us
Can't you see how I'm dreaming
In the past

It's over now and sadly
You're broken to pieces
I need to know that you
Want to love me again

I've fallen through the clouds
To my knees
There's nothing left for me
To believe
I wanted more for us
Can't you see how I'm dreaming
In the past

In the past
In the past

Now is not the time
To pretend that it's ok
You've counted down the days
You have left to be grateful
Old 20th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Dude, this sounds great! Love the riffing, the hookiness, and the off-the-wall sort of style to it. Id listen to it again for sure. I heard plenty of room in the middle too. I dont know if you changed since the "busy in the middle" comment, but I dont agree with that opinion at all. Great work
Thanks so much man. The only thing I've done (actually in the process of doing) is taking out all of the NORD horns, and replacing them with a real sax section.

All of the dude I know who play horn are tied up with work in to the near future, so I went out and bought myself a sax. I'm learning to play it, and already building a sax section that is working out fairly nice. Getting a tone is difficult, but I'm getting there. My wife is going to play some flute on it and backup vocals, and I'm in a constant improvement phase with the horn section, as I learn more about playing sax, but it's coming together. Hopefully, can post a revision in about a week or so.
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Yes, this is really nice. As Clump said, really cool Purple feel to it, but updated vibe. Great melody and overall songwriting.

So, you got the SSL. I'm thinking about that. Is it the SiX or the BIG SiX? I've got the Matrix at work, and love it, so I'm thinking about the Big SiX for the home studio, as I don't have a good interface, and the Big has a 16x16 interface built in.

Anyway, the SSL seems to be working for you nicely. Great sound on this tune!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, this is really nice. As Clump said, really cool Purple feel to it, but updated vibe. Great melody and overall songwriting.

So, you got the SSL. I'm thinking about that. Is it the SiX or the BIG SiX? I've got the Matrix at work, and love it, so I'm thinking about the Big SiX for the home studio, as I don't have a good interface, and the Big has a 16x16 interface built in.

Anyway, the SSL seems to be working for you nicely. Great sound on this tune!
Thanks, @ kennybro !

I have the SiX 500 series channel strip module. But from what I know, it's essentially the same thing as a single channel on the big six so I think you would be making a wise move with the big six. The EQ section is just enough to give you a little push where you need it. The bell switch on the low at 200hz is awesome on vocals and snare and the high EQ adds the right sauce with just a touch of addition. The result are clean, punchy sounds that sit just right before any additional mixing is done. It really has been a revelation for me.

Also, don't be afraid to search Fiverr for a horn section if you want something sooner than you can learn to play how you'd like. I've used people on Fiverr for guitar solos and promotion/marketing and I've been quite pleased with it. Just take the time to read some reviews of the sellers so you can make an educated choice
Old 21st February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks, @ kennybro !

I have the SiX 500 series channel strip module. But from what I know, it's essentially the same thing as a single channel on the big six so I think you would be making a wise move with the big six. The EQ section is just enough to give you a little push where you need it. The bell switch on the low at 200hz is awesome on vocals and snare and the high EQ adds the right sauce with just a touch of addition. The result are clean, punchy sounds that sit just right before any additional mixing is done. It really has been a revelation for me.

Also, don't be afraid to search Fiverr for a horn section if you want something sooner than you can learn to play how you'd like. I've used people on Fiverr for guitar solos and promotion/marketing and I've been quite pleased with it. Just take the time to read some reviews of the sellers so you can make an educated choice
Oh, that 500 series looks cool. I didn't know it existed. I'll have a look at the Fiverr thing. Thanks for the tip. Sax is coming along here. Slow but steady progress so far.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…