The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes ➡️
Okay, it's done. I credited Zed999 with the lyrics. Thank you for the inspiration to do this.

Too Slow!
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I posted the original instrumental of this one, then Knate (AlcoholByVolume) sang on it and posted that. Then it got a bit stuck. I mess with it now and again.

It now has drums to liven it up and some extra vocals in the later chorus's snipped from the main vocal, retimed a bit and detuned. It's morphing into something I think. I'm quite pleased with the kick up the arse these changes have given it. I hope you like the extra vocal Knate.

https://soundcloud.com/user-87512468.../s-baibwTXwIHc
Old 10th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine ➡️
Super dark, it would fit right in to True Blood" episode.
I've never done anything like that, what fun, thanks for showing me that door!
Thank you Rocky! Very kind...BTW Wags has 'left the building' (again) he went a couple of weeks ago, I'm sure he'll be back.
Old 10th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump ➡️
Thank you Rocky! Very kind...BTW Wags has 'left the building' (again) he went a couple of weeks ago, I'm sure he'll be back.
I'm not Wags keeper. I can't help but like him, I've always loved crazy people, heck I married three of them so far, and I'm even putting up with the current ones broken leg... "Just call me Derrick", a lifting device!

I've been away, trying to become a better musician and songwriter, and of course, not sure I've done either. I pretty much hate everything I've done so far, can't even stand to listen to it, and I loved it before! I wish I knew if that was good or bad? I miss denial, lol!

Good to see so much stuff in here, so many people with the same 'must write a good song' disease. I have a bunch of new stuff I haven't dared to record. I blamed my lack of recording know how for my general lack of talent!

As Louis Armstrong said, "You blows who you is!", now there's the rub!
Old 13th February 2021
Gear Head

Made in GarageBand!!

Old 15th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
hii guys, i made a 90's teen pop beat
Attached Files

90's pop.mp3 (6.81 MB, 597 views)

Old 17th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Good vibes!
Old 18th February 2021
Gear Head

Hey yall!

I got a new microphone (AT2020) and decided to re-record my last two tracks. Please give it a listen when you get the chance!!! I’d really appreciate any feedback on mixing, i’m really new Using GarageBand btw. I recorded all instruments and vocals thanks

https://soundcloud.com/deejay2109/notches

https://soundcloud.com/deejay2109/julie-cool

Old 19th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Hymn Null new song by R. Lavine

Simple song that wrote itself, pretty much.
It's one take studio recording just added a little percussion, and a few effects.
Such a fun song to do, I hope to do it with a sing along live soon.

Hymn Null

Like a song within a song
like a play within a play
like an expanding pattern
that makes a sunny holiday

Chorus {We have walked that ancient path
from here unto the Devil's door
all been saved a thousand time
but have no idea what for}

I'm Funking through the fog
that I call reality
the limits of my existence
are bounded by what I'll let myself believe
Chorus
A wise man once told me
that we should only allow what we know to be absolutely true
to wind us up to make us dance like the Devil
or sing them lowdown blues
Chorus
Now I find life sacred
I swear I will to the end
but god or accident seem equal
neither one can I Comprehend
Chorus
like an ever expanding fractal pattern
that gonna make yourself a sunny day
Old 19th February 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I dont write many songs on the piano, im more of a guitar songwriter. However this came to me today on the piano and i think its my best 'Piano song' anyway. Recorded pretty quick. I play all the instruments but still dont have a singer or vocalist. I humm the vocal melody. I have a line for this one at the start of the chorus;

"Yes I left, but,
you disowned me"

Let me know what you think or if anyones up for a collaboration, ive got so many tracks unfinished. Cheers.

Lives for gear

Quote:

Simple song that wrote itself, pretty much.
It's one take studio recording just added a little percussion, and a few effects.
Such a fun song to do, I hope to do it with a sing along live soon.

Hymn Null

like an expanding pattern
that makes a sunny holiday

Chorus {We have walked that ancient path
from here unto the Devil's door
all been saved a thousand time
but have no idea what for}

I'm Funking through the fog
that I call reality
the limits of my existence
are bounded by what I'll let myself believe
Chorus
A wise man once told me
that we should only allow what we know to be absolutely true
to wind us up to make us dance like the Devil
or sing them lowdown blues
Chorus
Now I find life sacred
I swear I will to the end
but god or accident seem equal
neither one can I Comprehend
Chorus
like an ever expanding fractal pattern
that gonna make yourself a sunny day
I think the arpeggio guitar works really well in the chorus, but seems to lose it's way through the verses...would be nice to hear it with a Dylanesque acoustic guitar strumming accompaniment...Really liking your vocals on this one Rocky.
Gear Head

Can you send me stems without humming???
Old 20th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Thanks. I didn't think about strumming, I get locked into the fingerpicking cause that's what I do. the pattern of words in the verses is free form and I was changing it on the fly based on the preset ideas for the verses. I had to rewrite the lyric sheet after, sort of like limited improve. This was my first take of the song and I didn't think it would be a keeper, but I liked it. Of course, the Chorus is regular so it is in lock step with the pattern, so no problem there. I think that is what you are hearing.
The song is fun to sing and you can't do it softly. I had fun with this one, it pretty much wrote itself on Superbowl Sunday, as it's so simple and repetitive. Options for adding to it are huge, but everytime I do that I end up with more is less, lack of skill and taste, lol. Thanks for listening.
Old 21st February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
I think it's a landscape around the protagonist who is bored out of their mind, but too hopeful for some external magic to initiate any action but doing the same pattern over. Like Groundhog day, but with Bill Murray doing the same thing. Yeap, a helpless emo ballad, so best be unapologetic about it.

"In the Hedge Row
There's some E Mo
Helpless Ranger
A waits Ne mo

Periscope up
will change your luck
but his lame Paws
stay stuck in muck"

Fun to think about another's half song.
Old 21st February 2021
Gear Head

I remastered my two newest tracks.

If anyone could give me mixing feedback I’d REALLY appreciate it... THANKS

Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hi guys, I made a pop ballad
Attached Files

pop ballad.mp3 (6.84 MB, 354 views)

Old 27th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popp ➡️
Nice melodies!

I could listen to it the whole day and never get tired of it.

~HW
Lives for gear
Quote:
Please ignore word ideas if you don't want them, and these are off the cuff

Starting at :11

What's the point of Love ing
It only ends bad ly
every time

What's the point of 'pre ten ding'
no one cares what 'your send ing'

Tell Lazy Cupid in the wings
Shoot my heart and make it sing
over the moon peal s ring

I've heard that love can turn
a fool into a king

It's a semi sad love long for sure and it deserves some lyrics better than these, but that's the mood I got.
And the music is very cool.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss ➡️
Nice melodies!

I could listen to it the whole day and never get tired of it.

~HW
Thank you, that's a nice compliment!

Quote:
Please ignore word ideas if you don't want them, and these are off the cuff

Starting at :11

What's the point of Love ing
It only ends bad ly
every time

What's the point of 'pre ten ding'
no one cares what 'your send ing'

Tell Lazy Cupid in the wings
Shoot my heart and make it sing
over the moon peal s ring

I've heard that love can turn
a fool into a king

It's a semi sad love long for sure and it deserves some lyrics better than these, but that's the mood I got.
And the music is very cool.
Thank you. Those are some usefull lines for sure! Lyrics are an art form in itself. I hope to put more time in that!
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I even sent your post to my gmail account; so I can listen to it at my leisure.

This is a first, after a 9-year membership.

Cheers,
~Hw
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Cheers,
~Hw
Thank you. It means a lot to me!

Last edited by popp; 28th February 2021 at 04:02 AM..
Gear Maniac

I'm progressing, a melody...and two parts.

and about 10-15dB less bass than my heart always wants.

Mixed genre. Psychedelic something or other perhaps. I hope so, I aim to add a touch of that to most things I do.

Guitars too much? two guitars hard panned and chopped in alternate fast chunks with a square wave, like a vicious switch panning effect... but for the guitars being different and not moving so there is half of each missing. If I hadn't balanced each with reverb in it's opposite speaker it would make you feel sick but... I like. You'll see...it's safe with the reverb.

Sorry about the hoochy saxophones, what can I do? I can't sing and the mic I forgot I had is broken. I've done my best to make it sound a bit like singing but it sounds like supermarket musak. If you need words, the title fits over most of it so you can sing along yourself.

And the drummer - so lazy on the snare. I wanted laid back, not half asleep, you can't get the staff these days.

https://soundcloud.com/user-87512468.../s-ZNkW6N77HBN
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

My stuff tends to be a bit full on both musically and mix. I'm slowing improving the mix part I hope. Lessons learned and applied next time to the best of my ability.
Since the above post I've cleared out the bass end of the kick, the bass and main fluttering guitars and turned the guitars down. That's really helped with the mud and a little with the madness. I'd been trying to mix in the bass and kick but both were so bass heavy they were either too loud or gone. Better at lower volumes too I think. These are headphone mixes.

I've got some sparkly guitar euphoric kind of build ups going on and at those points I'm yeah, I like that. I need to tame the other parts somehow to emphasize that. Any ideas? I do have rough words to suit that kind of doom "but it's ok!" musical story. Thanks for listening, if you do.

https://soundcloud.com/user-87512468.../s-FmH7PqafGNm
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➡️
My stuff tends to be a bit full on both musically and mix. I'm slowing improving the mix part I hope. Lessons learned and applied next time to the best of my ability.
Since the above post I've cleared out the bass end of the kick, the bass and main fluttering guitars and turned the guitars down. That's really helped with the mud and a little with the madness. I'd been trying to mix in the bass and kick but both were so bass heavy they were either too loud or gone. Better at lower volumes too I think. These are headphone mixes.

I've got some sparkly guitar euphoric kind of build ups going on and at those points I'm yeah, I like that. I need to tame the other parts somehow to emphasize that. Any ideas? I do have rough words to suit that kind of doom "but it's ok!" musical story. Thanks for listening, if you do.

https://soundcloud.com/user-87512468.../s-FmH7PqafGNm
Hi, i am also still learning the mixing and mastering part. I am more into composing.

I also get the muddy problem if i add much instruments in a song. It's also about picking the right instruments that dont get in the way of each other. Panning and EQ also helps. Keep practicing and Youtube is also helpfull with many tutorials.
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Cheers,
~Hw
I removed the highest and lowest frequencies in this new file. So it is slightly better for the ears when you listen it more often.

Right click on the filename and choose ''Save as'' to download it on your hard drive.
Attached Files

pop ballad 2.mp3 (6.84 MB, 181 views)

Old 3rd March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi, i am also still learning the mixing and mastering part. I am more into composing.

I also get the muddy problem if i add much instruments in a song. It's also about picking the right instruments that dont get in the way of each other. Panning and EQ also helps. Keep practicing and Youtube is also helpfull with many tutorials.
Thanks for the reply.

In all honesty, what I do I have been doing for my own consumption for 40+ years until I found this site while building a new PC. Like a guilty schoolboy I'm now retraining myself away from 40 years of bass heavy mixes - mixes that did translate to my excellent neutral home hifi ... but nowhere else, they are like you already pressed the loudness button and turned up the treble and bass. I can laugh now but I had no desire to play them anywhere else and I liked all that bass so I didn't tackle it.

I've retired now, I have more time and I'm trying harder but meanwhile an infection left me with permanent tinnitus and an unbalanced high frequency loss in both ears. I'm finding surprisingly that I am slowly learning to hear through all this to a greater extent than I thought possible which is good.

Which all leads to this: I've severely (honestly!) reduced my bass end compared to the previous 40 years - have I reduced it enough for general consumption, that's one big question?

This is naturally making all other frequencies louder than they "used to be" and exposing those mids to more scrutiny though reducing bass has made them clearer to start with and that's encouraging. At the same time, aware of my hearing situation I could be drilling your ears with frequencies that I can't hear AT ALL. There are some, quite a list of notches but they vary from ear to ear and I use a gadget on the masterbus that switches left/right every 60 seconds which helps a great deal with panned instrument levels.

In amongst trying to get a sonically pleasant result and catchy tunes, I do very much aim to make the listener work a bit and hide them as much as I can. Hence those guitars on this one. At the beginning they sound pretty horrible and strange but by the time everything is going they kind of disappear into a maelstrom which again is intentional and I hope works. But it's all a but cruder than I'd like as a sonic experience. I don't wish to hear anything more clearly particularly or play anything more accurately, which leaves balances and frequencies.

I made one huge high frequency shelf cut on the guitars which helped bring the drums out but where I find myself with trying to balance it is that something is always too loud until I've gone round in a loop turning everything down and lost the 2-bus level hahaha. Turn it all back up and repeat but with frequency and compression adjustments too - better. More transients - easier to mix - too much compression - dirge. Slowly, slowly but any general tips are always gratefully received. No offense, but "watch some videos" isn't a lot of help.

After that I should critique yours? I find the presentation so flat, twee and emotionless that all I hear is musak that a computer might have generated with a really uninspiring hook against chord progression the combination of which personally I would reject out of hand for that reason. Maybe I just don't like it - Heir Weiss loves it so I'm probably talking out of rear orifice! To mere mortals like myself, presentation of a song idea is very important. A melody and chord structure is just that, it's what you do with it that counts. A song must be very strong indeed to stand on it's own two feet. Just my amateur opinion.
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I removed the highest and lowest frequencies in this new file. So it is slightly better for the ears when you listen it more often.

Right click on the filename and choose ''Save as'' to download it on your hard drive.

Thanks for letting me know another way to save your song.

Yes, this version sounds cleaner, good job!

~HW
Old 4th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➡️
After that I should critique yours? I find the presentation so flat, twee and emotionless that all I hear is musak that a computer might have generated with a really uninspiring hook against chord progression the combination of which personally I would reject out of hand for that reason. Maybe I just don't like it - Heir Weiss loves it so I'm probably talking out of rear orifice! To mere mortals like myself, presentation of a song idea is very important. A melody and chord structure is just that, it's what you do with it that counts. A song must be very strong indeed to stand on it's own two feet. Just my amateur opinion.
The last 'song' you posted is basically a 'looped long' Introduction; a lá Bad Company.
I was surprised when the 'song' ended; I thought my battery had died.

What's even weirder is your odd criticism of popp's
wonderful Ballad.
Way off in so many ways, I do not even know where to start my rebuke.

~HW
Old 6th March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know another way to save your song.

Yes, this version sounds cleaner, good job!

~HW
No problem.

Thanks!
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No problem.

Thanks!
Do not be discouraged with Zid999's critique; it was just a verbal jab aimed at me.

Melody is KING; something 99% of songwriters be found lacking.

Good night,
~HW
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…