Daily Sketches - Post Here
Old 1 week ago
Quick vaguely pop-ish thing from me tonight

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie ➑️
Tonights from me, a little quieter, more trip hop territory

I really like this one! Great atmosphere, nice processing on the vocals. I should do more downbeat stuff. I have the tendency to rush through the variations I have foreseen, but I’m actively trying to suppress that.

For the next few days I’ll be half-active. I've got another mini-gig of 10 minutes to play on Sunday. This time, I’d like to fill it and have a few mood switches so I’m going to take my time to prepare. If I have something intermediate, I’ll definitely post.
Old 1 week ago
Nice, 'grats on the mini gig. Live is always fun! I'm sure you'll bring back some goodness from what you create there.

For me tonight it's just some sort of 80's ish rock/pop mashup thing

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Here's, as the title says, prep part 1. So far, I like this as an intro. I still need to figure out how to pick it up again after the string part. Particularly because I’m already using several parts of my setup that I will need to reuse in some way. I've done that before and I have a few days left, so I’m curious myself to see where this'll lead me.
Old 1 week ago
Nice start!

For me tonight I just couldn't sum up the energy to complete this sketch, but that's fine it's a sketch after all

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Here's prep part 2, which is another fragment. I've got a bit of work left on it but it's mostly done now.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Tonights from me

Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

So today I went through everything a few times, making notes and doing a general rehearsal. I recorded it but won't publish it here as I know there are lurkers here who may be present tomorrow (hi guys!)

So I thought I had lots of material to jam along easily past the ten minutes, but of course it recorded at 7 minutes only. It's not important - first, who cares how long it is if it's fun? Second, it gives me plenty of time to do things at easy and I don't need to rush. Feeling all good about it!
Old 1 week ago
Good luck! I'm sure it'll be a blast.

Tonights form me, classic rock style musings
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Well, it certainly was interesting. Very disappointing turnout of 9 people including myself. I wasn't expecting hundreds but 20 would've been nice Modular synths is a very small scene. My sequencer skipped an entire part for no apparent reason. Make mental note - never upgrade firmware before a gig, even if it's for only 8 people. And the general sound was crap, both in the speakers as well as in my recording. Which is a surprise as I worked on it for three evenings and it was all fine and well, then disconnected and reconnected on site. Anyway, it was still pretty decent. And because we were so few, they just gathered behind me to see what I was doing and we had a good chat about it. Then there were two others with very different pieces. Because of the crap recording, here's the "studio version" I recorded yesterday!
Old 1 week ago
Ah but without the risk of failure live music wouldn't be exciting and so that's to me the whole point. There's always the next gig . Sounds like you had a good time anyway.

Tonight's from me, wall of noise prog
Old 6 days ago
Another prog rock/prog metal/space rock one from me tonight

Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Here's a short experiment with a 5-beat rhythm.
Old 5 days ago
More dark pop punk this time from me, a track about demented keyboard warriors full of conspiracy theory and pseudo science.

Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I urgently need to catch up on what you've been doing. In the meantime, I felt a bit deflated after the event on Sunday. That's why I’m playing around with a few techniques now, which is a fun way to diversify and keep it interesting. Here's something way out there - audio rate percussion. So instead of beating it 2, or 4, or even 10 times per second, I'll do it at 100, 400, 1000Hz. So in the percussion that starts from the beginning, there's a metallic sound in a 4 beat where I skip the 3rd beat. Then I start hitting it first at a very low rate and I go up. Initially, it's an extra beat, one or two, a few beats, a ratchet. As it goes up, it gains a frequency by itself. From that, I make a little melody that sounds like a kind of industrial metal guitar. I just fill the space with some bleeps and at the end, I explicitly descend back down into regular percussion levels of hitting the damn thing
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
A flop can take it out of you emotionally but even though it might seem like "I'm learning nothing from this" you are in fact learning a huge amount from any failure, it just isn't always conscious "I know what I did wrong, so now I'll do this instead". You'll still be pushing yourself in different directions. Failure is a win, you'll fail upwards. Plus at least it wasn't a learning experience on a stage at Coachella :D

New track sounds cool, I like the Dub, Psytrance and Goa elements in there. To me it sounds like quite a jump forwards.

Pop punk rock from me tonight
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
A flop can take it out of you emotionally but even though it might seem like "I'm learning nothing from this" you are in fact learning a huge amount from any failure, it just isn't always conscious "I know what I did wrong, so now I'll do this instead". You'll still be pushing yourself in different directions. Failure is a win, you'll fail upwards. Plus at least it wasn't a learning experience on a stage at Coachella :D

New track sounds cool, I like the Dub, Psytrance and Goa elements in there. To me it sounds like quite a jump forwards.

Pop punk rock from me tonight
Perhaps "deflated" was too strong a word. It's more like the release of tension that built up in the preparation of it. I didn't feel bad about it, just took it as it was and there were obviously plenty of things to take away from it.

Funny you think the track is cool. All the parts you point out are bits I added quickly to have something more than a metallic synth getting hit at +1000Hz. The jazzy percussion? Just a pattern of fourths with random beat skipping. The trippy bleeps coming in? Euclidean triggers. I pass it through a band pass filter that's all the way in the highest frequencies (poor dogs) and just turn it down and back up for a while to keep myself and you busy.

Perhaps that's the story of my one track per day project - I put in tremendous effort in certain areas that are completely ignored, but when I just let go and do something on a whim, everybody goes WOW

Edit: listened to In Blue just now. Vocals aren't very pop punk rock, rather end 60s-early 70s, but it's a fun track!

Last edited by Arrandan; 3 days ago at 10:35 PM.. Reason: Added the track review
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
More dark pop punk this time from me, a track about demented keyboard warriors full of conspiracy theory and pseudo science.

I like the change in tone just after 0:30. The break just after 1:00 works well as well. I've been listening in awe to Psy's Gangnam Style (yeah) and how he uses breaks to build variation. I really need to work on that. On the other hand, I like music that's one big burst of sound fancied up with some ear candy, so perhaps it's just in my nature to make that.
Old 3 days ago
Cheers. Structure is how you create a narrative within your songs, you need to push and pull with the audience, play with them a little.

Tonights from me is more folksy, jangly

Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I just rediscovered yet another micro-sub-genre I used to be into 25 years ago - isolationism, which is mostly just another name for dark ambient, which is basically a cross between ambient and industrial. If you follow my gist. Anyway, here's my very amateur attempt at it.
Old 2 days ago
Nice, never even heard of that genre (isolationism that is), you have some cool sounds going on there.

From me tonights is simply expedience, gotta quickly get something out, but I want a full nights sleep, thus minimal effort.

Old 1 day ago
Tonights from me, a little story about getting what you want

Old 23 hours ago
Gear Addict

Unfortunately, personal circumstances are preventing me again from doing the daily thing. Hoping to get to it tomorrow & Tuesday.

About isolationism - I sometimes feel like it's a more in-this-world version of dark ambient. Where dark ambient will show you dystopian landscapes on remote planets, isolationism shows the dystopia that is right here, right now. That may be me looking for too much in it. The term was coined by Kevin Martin in his vol.4 of the Virgin ambient collection in the 1990s.
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Ah, my kinda dark ambient :D

Hope your circumstances ease up and allow room for your creativity again soon.

Alrighty, tonights from me
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…