The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daily Sketches - Post Here
Old 20th September 2022
Todays from me, decided to lean into a sound and style I don't like that others have said they hear in my music.

Old 20th September 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrandan ➡️
Nice percussion intro. Is that all DAW? For me, it's a big flashback to a friend's bedroom with a crate of beer back in my teens. He had (and still has) an ever-growing collection of metal with plenty of prog/symphonic.
Yes, all ITB
Old 21st September 2022 | Show parent
Todays from me, I just wanted to mess around with the new Hitmaker SDX.

Old 21st September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie ➡️
Todays from me, I just wanted to mess around with the new Hitmaker SDX.

Hitmaker SDX --> it suddenly sounds like a late 1980s song. Very good!

I gave up yesterday because everything sounded like crap. I have a very nice crazy drum avalanche kind of thing but I'm getting nowhere putting stuff on top. I don't mind because it's a bit of a difficult period in other areas as well. I gave it a try, next try tonight.
Old 21st September 2022
Gear Addict

Hurray, here it is! Title and the banging organ chord are a tribute to Arvo Pärt whereas the repetitive middle feels influenced by unconventional goth bands like Cranes to me.

I was hoping to continue in the same vein as the previous two tracks and work towards a collection of "imaginary 1980s games music". But sometimes you have to accept what's coming. I'm not far enough yet that I can force a direction. I know out of experience in other fields that it's a great feeling to just go ahead and knock out this or that in such or so style, but that it also carries the risk of getting rote and boring. So, while I'm not there yet, I have the opportunity of marvelling at whatever my brain comes up again this time.

I've got a pretty stressy period in several areas and I'm feeling it helps me to take my time. So it's going to be one track every 2-3 days, more likely.
Old 22nd September 2022 | Show parent
Those drums are ace, lots of fun with delays :D

From me tonight is just a simple bit of old school big beat techno
Old 23rd September 2022
Long day, todays from me is a simple rock track

Old 24th September 2022
Punk for tonight from me, based on events that happened to a friend of mine in Istanbul.

Old 25th September 2022
So out of energy today, so just a quick disco beat

Old 25th September 2022
Gear Addict

Here's a little track I started preparing yesterday. It features a bass that gets triggered at random on an 8th beat with random length, except when the bass is already playing. That was fun to implement

I finished it today because I noticed I was getting out of my publishing rhythm and that it would be hard to get back in. Gotta keep goin'

Oh yeah, it features cowbells so it must rock
Old 25th September 2022
Gear Addict

I think this fits in the 'Imaginary Videogames From The 1980s' series so I gave it a suitable title. Nothing extraordinarily complicated except the treble chirpy thingy that has a bit more to it.
Old 26th September 2022
Cool sounds, I can see it in an arcade.

Tonights from me, seems I'm still exploring 80's
Old 26th September 2022
Gear Addict

Here's a little woodpecker theme or something like that, with perhaps some trees coming down or what have you.
Old 27th September 2022
To me they're kinda watery sounds. Good job!

Tonights from me, obviously too much doom scrolling is causing leakage for me

Old 27th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
To me they're kinda watery sounds. Good job!

Tonights from me, obviously too much doom scrolling is causing leakage for me

Not intended as a knock, but do you ever notice how your vocals don't match you music bed? Music @ 90mph and vox at 10mph.

g
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps ➡️
Not intended as a knock, but do you ever notice how your vocals don't match you music bed? Music @ 90mph and vox at 10mph.

g
No offense taken, I realize there is no music bed that would match my vocals because I cannot sing so it would have to be a-musical or something as revolting as folk.

These are sketches, they can go anywhere but they tend to for me to be admittedly inarticulate naive matches for the kinds of music I like which almost always involve polyrhythm and counterpoint, where it’s more typical to match melody (vocal or otherwise) to chord change rather than the kick drum and that creates the tension and release.
Old 27th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've heard a couple of your songs sans the usual efx and it's def not what you think it is. to me, you seem to be at your best when some energy is involved and you sing without over thinking...again, no knock.
Old 27th September 2022
Interesting. I’m not sure what you mean about fx? It’s not particularly more or less than any others I do, including the acoustic numbers. The arrangement has a lot less space though.

Here’s an overview -

On the vocals there’s noise gate, eq and compressor. The noise gate wouldn’t be necessary but I just rush along and don’t isolate, so I have it playing in the bg on the monitors rather than on cans, eq reduces the mids and raises the treble a little, and compressor is evening out things, more in limiter mode removing plosives and sudden loud bits.

Guitar has an eq only outside of the lead which has a delay, the rest is raw amp tone, three parts.

Bass has a pultec and compressor, I find I often need to reduce the lower frequencies before compressing to get a sound that’s audible in smaller speakers.

Master has a tape plugin (mostly used as a gain stage leveler), eq (push bass and upper mids), compression and a light reverb to glue things.

For me this is a fairly energetic (or at least driven) song, or at least about as energetic as I get!

I can’t say I felt any more or less relaxed or self conscious or put any more thought in doing these vocals than on any other track. There possibly isn’t a “relaxed” mode for me because it always feels awkward and the most amateur aspect of the whole endeavor but backing tracks without any human voice feel empty in a possibly worse way, so on they go.
Old 27th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Reverb, delays...etc. Not song specific but in general then again to me, that seems to be the order of the day. A while back you redid a vocal without all the extraneous effects and your voice (again to me) wasn't bad, at least not as horrible as we all think our vocals our...except of course for mine.

The current trend imo is to bury ones voice with tons of externals whether it be compression, limiting, verb or the like. I seem to lean more to the natural with a little space. When I used to do this for a living I would hand edit words or phrases to get the levels I wanted vs using comps or limiters. There's already one Celine who bathes in verb only to hide the beauty of her natural voice.

g...just so you know, I won't be back till tomorrow morning.
Hey thanks for the feedback. I hear you, definitely leveling is far better than compressing. As someone pointed out to me - a compressor applies the same damage to the whole track, but leveling deals only with the hot spots and leaves everything else intact.

It’s just expedience in my case, I’m sure a professional could churn it out but I’m not there, and I’m already fighting my own brain which wants to keep adding more stuff and fine tuning when my ears are fatigued and I’m desperate to get more sleep and want to keep these sessions in under an hour because, you know, real life n stuff.

With regards reverb, I guess we just differ. I just like old music where things were often a-wash with reverb. Dry is interesting sometimes and I know it will always be more punchy and more modern, I just come at things with a certain level of surf and idolizing early Phil Spector, without it feels less… record like to me? I love colorful reverbs, not so keen on the super pristine studio verbs I hear on modern productions like Ariana Grande. Maybe it’s affectation, but I love it as much as distortion on guitar. It’s part of the instrument.
Old 28th September 2022 | Show parent
Tonights sketch, more psychedelic prog rock stuff.

Old 28th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Tonights sketch, more psychedelic prog rock stuff.

Not dry, just less. I also think that if you take more time even if it's over a couple of days your satisfaction level will climb and your fatigue will lessen. At least that's what it did for me. Unfortunately at 72, I'm not what I used to be compared to when I thought I sucked.
I've been told (due to carpentry accidents) 3 times that I'd never play guitar or piano again. It took time (years in every case) but I worked my way back to being somewhat less of a player but that made me be a better sound editor. It also made me see that everything that glitters ain't gold. So when something tells me it's not going to work, I move on.

g

Going out of town so I won't be back till tomorrow.

Last edited by gramps; 28th September 2022 at 10:33 AM..
Old 29th September 2022 | Show parent
It's a lot to rebuild after any setbacks let alone major injuries, I hope I don't end up doing something nasty to myself with my tools.

I'm happy to knock these out day by day while there's progress to be made, and if I'm honest it's not like I'd do a better job with more time - I'd just have a longer duration to suck within!

Getting things to the next level would probably require collaborating, working with a full team of engineer, producer, vocalist, session musicians, songwriters etc, then I can finally achieve my dream gig of being the guy on the sofa in the control room that's reading the comic on his back when anyone comes in and occasionally leaps up to go "Yeah!". that no-one knows but everyone assumes is with either the studio or the band and perhaps secretly fears is with the record company...

Anyhow, tonights sketch is I don't know what, the title matches the day, lots of busy work and small missteps that somehow still worked out ok so I'll call it a win overall, I had to record extra quiet as all the windows had to be open thanks to cleaning product fumes, gak...

Old 29th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's a lot to rebuild after any setbacks let alone major injuries, I hope I don't end up doing something nasty to myself with my tools.

I'm happy to knock these out day by day while there's progress to be made, and if I'm honest it's not like I'd do a better job with more time - I'd just have a longer duration to suck within!

Getting things to the next level would probably require collaborating, working with a full team of engineer, producer, vocalist, session musicians, songwriters etc, then I can finally achieve my dream gig of being the guy on the sofa in the control room that's reading the comic on his back when anyone comes in and occasionally leaps up to go "Yeah!". that no-one knows but everyone assumes is with either the studio or the band and perhaps secretly fears is with the record company...

Anyhow, tonights sketch is I don't know what, the title matches the day, lots of busy work and small missteps that somehow still worked out ok so I'll call it a win overall, I had to record extra quiet as all the windows had to be open thanks to cleaning product fumes, gak...

Do I like all your submissions...no. Neither am I a fan of some of my own and it's taken me years to give myself some credit for what I do compose. Do I ever completely finish anything? Not since 2 of my works were stolen by the companies that asked me to compose music for them...what's the point. I have 2 feet that I've shot more than once.

I understand both the pressure and satisfaction from composing and playing but I also understand the nee to underestimate what we as people do.

Due to my injuries I have been forced to play/record anything I do sometimes 1 measure at a time (typically it's 4) and stitch everything together. I used to do it 1 instrument at a time until the piece was finished, then do the others 1 at a time. A lot of takes were involved for each but it got done. Now I seem to score each segment completely before moving on to the next. This is a problem as I no longer takes notes and remembering which guitar part used what guitar (up to 5 some playing multiple parts) , what effect becomes an unsolvable mystery to me. So my answer to this, I rarely write anymore. Which I do miss.

Anyhow, stop being so hard on yourself and give yourself a break both in trying to write quantity and settle for quality. If you are who I think you are (looked you up a while back), we both know you're very capable of doing some pretty kickass things.

g
Old 29th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just listened to the song...not too shabby. Glad you took out (or didn't add) that mid eq boost on your voice, much better indeed.

g
Old 29th September 2022
I use a dip the mids if I adjust it, here I did but often it leaves a thin sound that can’t cut through a mix.

The thing is these are sketches, emphasis on quality at this stage is to me counterproductive. It’s easy to polish, but it matters more what you’re polishing.

IMO quality outside of polish isn’t a conjured thing and is often in the hands of the observer more than the artist. In my own experience there are tracks that connect with others that I view as facile and others I love that go nowhere. So working on your own in the dark on that is a fools errand, the odds aren’t in your favor to produce something that isn’t merely more polished mediocrity and you’ll waste time agonizing over trying to be creative rather than letting it just flow. It doesn’t matter how proud we are of our work, only whether it rings true to someone else and makes them feel something.

I’d say you need to stop focusing on quality, it’s easy for me, you or anyone that wants to join in the sketching process to go back and revisit our own stuff we create that resonates. But it’s much harder to get the stuff that does by reducing the flow.

I understand getting burned can make you very cautious. I won’t go into what you can do about it, but at the very least don’t work in a bubble, find others who you can trust and work with them.
Old 30th September 2022
Tonight I just didn't have the time or energy so I just went for a mood instead

Old 30th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
oh hell, getting "burned" was 40 years ago and at this point in my life I could care less. As to quality, I've never "polish finished" a composition as writing and playing everything was and is enough for me.

Anyhow, based on my own experience, if this is what does it for your needs, who am I to say that it isn't...have fun.

g
Old 30th September 2022
Gear Addict

I'm on a few days of musical leave, unfortunately, because the combined stress of everything else in my life became so overwhelming that I needed to tune out on as much as I could for a while. There's at least another week like that coming up so I'll see if I can get anything done at all. Just popping in to give my 2 cents on the discussion above.

I started with a brand new synth in January or February, deciding in March to produce a track every day. It's been a great way to improve fast and to get some sort of inventory of technique and sounds. Now, my synth is a modular, so it means I disconnect everything before I start, then start patching from scratch. It's ultimate freedom of sound design, and it's also ultimately irreproducible. There are sounds that I created recently that I know the general idea of, but would have a hard time reproducing exactly even if they handed me a cheque of €1M if I could. I considered early on to make patch notes, but I noticed that anything else than getting to the instrument, making the track and publishing it, distracts me and takes way too much time. Which would've caused my current predicament to occur much sooner than now.

As I learn more, patches aren't getting easier. My most recent purchase of patch cables was impossibly ambitious, I thought at the time. And despite the fact that I haven't actually added many more modules, I have recently had single sounds that use nearly all of those cables. More complexity brings a much more interesting and organic sound, if done well, so it's normal. But all of that work on sound design takes time. My previous break-throughs were simple enough I could incorporate them into my regular workflow and just get on. But now I'm bumping into the limitations and I noticed (e.g. with those delayed drums) that it frequently feels like a good idea to split the work of one track into 2 days. But I also notice, like mdme_sadie, that breaking the flow halfway is disastrous for a sketch, as perfectionism and doubt have the opportunity to creep in, which slows down the progress I am making by doing it every day.

The difference with mdme_sadie, though, is that quality is part of the story for me. It's a journey of exploring, learning and becoming better. It's not an arranged holiday with pre-planned destinations and checkboxes ("Yep, seen the Borom Budur! On to the hotel bar!"). I don't know where I'm going, but I can see a couple of possibilities. All of them involve more prep work than a bunch of WAV files on a hard disk. So I'm considering my options. It's possible that I'll switch format from my OTPD (One Track Per Day), but I'll do that only when I have a clear idea of what the next format will be.

Daily sketches have been very useful for me so far and I can recommend everybody to commit to it, though. I get many comments like "I could never do that". There are many good reasons why you shouldn't. I have a friend here who polishes his tracks until perfection and that's fine, obviously (he's reading this thread from time to time, so hi there!). In my case, I wanted to commit but found I didn't. So a daily sketch or OTPD were a perfect way to kickstart me and to get lots done in little time. Commitment is the point. The ideal format to get that depends on who you are.
Old 30th September 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps ➡️
oh hell, getting "burned" was 40 years ago and at this point in my life I could care less. As to quality, I've never "polish finished" a composition as writing and playing everything was and is enough for me.

Anyhow, based on my own experience, if this is what does it for your needs, who am I to say that it isn't...have fun.

g
Things change so who knows, for now this and it’s routine is what works for me. Also don’t get me wrong I’m not purposefully making things poorly, I generally aim for quality and it’s part of what I’m attempting to learn by doing this and I believe it’s achievable - many of the tracks I love were if not written during, at least recorded to a high standard in often less time than I use.

At some point I’m sure I’ll find something I want to work on for more than a couple of hours but it’s a much different thing to get pleasure out of.

Right now I like generating ideas more than planning and diving into processes. I can see there is a satisfaction to it, to mastery of “the craft”, taking your time over each aspect to get it right, going down that particular rabbit hole, I’ve just so far never been that person.

It’s probably telling that the only times I’ve taken longer have been collaborations, when other people or a clients needs have been a factor.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…