Quantcast
Exercise in Minimalism - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Exercise in Minimalism
Old 6 days ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
donnylang's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Exercise in Minimalism

Best thing I ever did for my songwriting and singing was get a 1960s Ampex suitcase recorder, plug a microphone in, and record an album.

That was the not the intention- my intention was to use 1960s gear in a very small space. But I realized I was previously always thinking in terms of arrangement and production. Now I began thinking in terms of the statement I was making with the song, the lyrics, and the melody.

Funny it seems so obvious in retrospect, but it took me years to realize it- when all you have is the song, you tend to write better songs.

Here are a couple examples of the outcome:

https://youtu.be/lHnWb4B4TSA

https://youtu.be/9RjTK1VITT0

Last edited by donnylang; 6 days ago at 04:28 AM..
Old 6 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Those are nice - if I ever do a film score where authentic 60s era, Southern California songs are needed, I’m calling you!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
donnylang's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 ➡️
Those are nice - if I ever do a film score where authentic 60s era, Southern California songs are needed, I’m calling you!
Ha wow thanks. Yep that’s my bag!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnylang ➡️
Ha wow thanks. Yep that’s my bag!
If you haven’t seen it, check out Jacob Dylan’s documentary on Netflix called “echo in the canyons” - all about Southern California music culture in the late 60s using the 1968 movie “model shop” (another must-see) as a backdrop.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
donnylang's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 ➡️
If you haven’t seen it, check out Jacob Dylan’s documentary on Netflix called “echo in the canyons” - all about Southern California music culture in the late 60s using the 1968 movie “model shop” (another must-see) as a backdrop.
Oh I’ve heard of this but haven’t watched it. Will check it out.
Old 5 days ago
  #6
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Similar but different... I felt the same way when I switched from open reel analog to DAW. With the analog gear I was always fiddling with the patch bay routing and outboard gear, then cutting & splicing tape, etc, etc, etc. With my DAW I arm a track and start recording. I have track templates created with effects chains and such so I don't have to think about much, just create.

I realize that you are minimizing by using only the Ampex but I see my laptop & DAW the same way (plus I can use it unplugged If I want). I do miss the analog mojo though.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmann ➡️
Similar but different... I felt the same way when I switched from open reel analog to DAW. With the analog gear I was always fiddling with the patch bay routing and outboard gear, then cutting & splicing tape, etc, etc, etc. With my DAW I arm a track and start recording. I have track templates created with effects chains and such so I don't have to think about much, just create.
Interesting... I find I'm just the opposite: Just the process of firing up the computer and launching the DAW app seems to feel like too much down time, and I often find I've lost the inspiration by the time I've armed a track and hit Record. Yet for some reason with analog the time spent winding to the blank spot on the reel -- which in all likelihood was just as long if not longer than the boot time on the Mac -- just felt like it encouraged the anticipation, and seemed to help the inspiration!
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #8
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross ➡️
Interesting... I find I'm just the opposite: Just the process of firing up the computer and launching the DAW app seems to feel like too much down time, and I often find I've lost the inspiration by the time I've armed a track and hit Record. Yet for some reason with analog the time spent winding to the blank spot on the reel -- which in all likelihood was just as long if not longer than the boot time on the Mac -- just felt like it encouraged the anticipation, and seemed to help the inspiration!
Whatever works, right? I started with a Teac 4 track reel to reel and upgraded to a Tascam 8 track reel to reel and used them for a total of 25 years. I was never completely comfortable with that gear but I was able to record multiple tracks on the DAW 15 minutes after firing it up the first time. I'm sure it helps that I work on a computer all day.
Old 3 days ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
donnylang's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
My limited experience with digital has been it’s challenging to get any kind of vibe going, and there seem to be too many things “hidden” behind menus etc. ... and too many things are “virtual” for me.

In the case of analog- it’s a simple matter of plugging things in and performing whatever physical tasks are needed. In my case, a recorder, reel of tape, XLR cable, microphone, and headphones.
Old 3 days ago
  #10
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
I listened to some of the "Mystery of Revival" songs and I like it. Keep up the good work.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
donnylang's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmann ➡️
I listened to some of the "Mystery of Revival" songs and I like it. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Mark!
Old 9 hours ago
  #12
Sky
Lives for gear
 
Sky's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I think your minimalist production works nicely in these tracks.

Sky
Old 9 hours ago | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
donnylang's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky ➡️
I think your minimalist production works nicely in these tracks.

Sky
Thanks for listening
I appreciate it
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump