The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best way for Arranging Drums - Help
Old 9th April 2021
Gear Head

Best way for Arranging Drums - Help

Hello, I arrange and mix my songs. Took advice from Producers and i had suggestions to mix my drums stereo. But i use Singular Sound Beat buddy pedal that i love the grooves but even though i track stereo, (from 2 outputs left and right) the two tracks are exaclty the same (one is lower volume) Should i get Superior Drummer kind of Software? if yes, which one has more intuitive workflow and easier to pick ready style loops? so what to do For better drum arrangements and better drum tracks? I cant write drums from scratch, i need loop ideas. Should my drum tracks be stereo or mono is also ok? Toms and crashes panned is a must?
Old 9th April 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I play drums so I can't help with drum programs but I can tell you this: If you want realistic sounding drums they need to be in stereo. Because of noise restraints I record with electronic drums but I pan each drum and cymbal to sound as if I'm standing in front of an actual drum set.
Old 9th April 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmann ➡️
I play drums so I can't help with drum programs but I can tell you this: If you want realistic sounding drums they need to be in stereo. Because of noise restraints I record with electronic drums but I pan each drum and cymbal to sound as if I'm standing in front of an actual drum set.
ok but how to make them stereo?
My beatbuddy pedal is stereo but both outputs send the same signal. So i truly need a drum software?
Old 9th April 2021
ccg
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Your drums don't NEED to be in stereo. Yes, it's very common. Even with a mono overhead people often pan close tom mics.

HOWEVER -- mono drums can sound perfectly "real" and were the gold standard for many years.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ece79 ➡️
ok but how to make them stereo?
My beatbuddy pedal is stereo but both outputs send the same signal. So i truly need a drum software?
I'm not familiar with Beat Buddy so I can't help with that but any drum software will have stereo capability and much more.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg ➡️
Your drums don't NEED to be in stereo. Yes, it's very common. Even with a mono overhead people often pan close tom mics.

HOWEVER -- mono drums can sound perfectly "real" and were the gold standard for many years.
To clarify, yes, obviously even real acoustic drums can be recorded mono and will sound like drums but when you are listening to drums in a room, or bar, or studio you are hearing stereo and that's what I try to simulate and IMO that's what sounds and works best for me. YMMV however.

Just curious... what years were mono drums the gold standard?
ccg
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
To clarify, yes, obviously even real acoustic drums can be recorded mono and will sound like drums but when you are listening to drums in a room, or bar, or studio you are hearing stereo and that's what I try to simulate and IMO that's what sounds and works best for me. YMMV however.

Sure, drums are stereo. The big wide spread we hear on records sometimes isn't very natural though. Cymbals are left and right, but we don't really hear them in such extreme isolation with our ears in a bar though. Of course I understand that YOU may not record/mix that way and may take a more natural approach to panning.

I also record stereo drums very often. These days, stereo is the way to go for most modern productions. I'll use a mono overhead if it fits the vibe, but I'll often supplement with a stereo room mic or pair of mics.

I just wanted to let the OP, who I think might be just getting started on his recording journey, that mono vs. stereo won't make or break his work necessarily.

Mono drums were king in the late 1950s and early 1960s. When "rock music" started happening they added more mics. Often these mics still remained in mono.

Don't quote me but I think there's only one released Beatles song with a stereo drum image even if they did start using more mics.

AND I didn't mean to imply that your approach is wrong or anything like that!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg ➡️
Sure, drums are stereo. The big wide spread we hear on records sometimes isn't very natural though. Cymbals are left and right, but we don't really hear them in such extreme isolation with our ears in a bar though. Of course I understand that YOU may not record/mix that way and may take a more natural approach to panning.

I also record stereo drums very often. These days, stereo is the way to go for most modern productions. I'll use a mono overhead if it fits the vibe, but I'll often supplement with a stereo room mic or pair of mics.

I just wanted to let the OP, who I think might be just getting started on his recording journey, that mono vs. stereo won't make or break his work necessarily.

Mono drums were king in the late 1950s and early 1960s. When "rock music" started happening they added more mics. Often these mics still remained in mono.

Don't quote me but I think there's only one released Beatles song with a stereo drum image even if they did start using more mics.

AND I didn't mean to imply that your approach is wrong or anything like that!
CCG, sound like we're on the same page.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Have a listen to any of the classic jazz LPs on Columbia. On the Miles Davis
records Jimmy Cobb, Philly Joe Jones, and Tony Williams are all in the right
speaker in mono while the horns are panned stereo. The years would be
roughly the mid 1950s to the late 1960s.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…