Quantcast
How do most professional studios interface with a DAW? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do most professional studios interface with a DAW?
Old 22nd February 2015
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
How do most professional studios interface with a DAW?

I've recently been getting into the more high-end area of professional recording and I've primarily used USB/Firewire interfaces with limited amounts of analogue I/O but I'm curious as to how most professional studios get a lot of analogue I/O (primarily mics) into the DAW as separate channels for multitrack recording. What I mean by that is that for each mic, it gets sent to the DAW as its own track that can be recorded independently of all the other mics.

I've never really been a mixing console kind of guy, as I've always done the bulk of my mixing/mastering on a computer instead of a physical board. Lately, I was considering getting a Behringer X32 board since it has everything that I needed in a unit but I just couldn't fit it into my budget. :( I really didn't need the physical mixing console, so instead I got a Roland Studio Capture since it has a pretty generous amount of I/O and can be expanded with a second unit to get 32 inputs (24 mic pres). The Studio Capture seems to be the only USB/Firewire interface with a lot of mic preamps. If anyone knows of any other similar devices please share.

Anyway to get back to my original question, how do most pros interface with their DAW when they need a lot of analogue inputs that can be sent as its own track to a computer?
Old 23rd February 2015
  #2
Moderator
 
Bender412's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecannon ➡️
...how do most pros interface with their DAW when they need a lot of analogue inputs that can be sent as its own track to a computer?
Traditionally with Pro Tools and PTHD interfaces. A lot of times tracking through an analog console's preamps. These days, there may be other low latency (with high track count) solutions also, but I'm not sure.
Old 23rd February 2015
  #3
Gear Nut
 
ericsebastion's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
most pros use burl,lynx avid and apogee with pcie/pcix cards in their desktops. simple stuff
Old 23rd February 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Commercial studios are overwhelmingly Pro Tools with Avid or Digidesign hardware. Yes, there might be something else but you almost always see a 192 or three.
Old 23rd February 2015 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Nut
 
ericsebastion's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla_studios ➡️
Commercial studios are overwhelmingly Pro Tools with Avid or Digidesign hardware. Yes, there might be something else but you almost always see a 192 or three.
192? maybe the ones that haven't upgraded yet, and the reason for avid stuff in commercial places is because avid reps go to their studios and work out a whole system tailored to their needs.
Old 23rd February 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecannon ➡️
I've recently been getting into the more high-end area of professional recording and I've primarily used USB/Firewire interfaces with limited amounts of analogue I/O but I'm curious as to how most professional studios get a lot of analogue I/O (primarily mics) into the DAW as separate channels for multitrack recording. What I mean by that is that for each mic, it gets sent to the DAW as its own track that can be recorded independently of all the other mics.

I've never really been a mixing console kind of guy, as I've always done the bulk of my mixing/mastering on a computer instead of a physical board. Lately, I was considering getting a Behringer X32 board since it has everything that I needed in a unit but I just couldn't fit it into my budget. :( I really didn't need the physical mixing console, so instead I got a Roland Studio Capture since it has a pretty generous amount of I/O and can be expanded with a second unit to get 32 inputs (24 mic pres). The Studio Capture seems to be the only USB/Firewire interface with a lot of mic preamps. If anyone knows of any other similar devices please share.

Anyway to get back to my original question, how do most pros interface with their DAW when they need a lot of analogue inputs that can be sent as its own track to a computer?
you need a nice PCIe card for low latency. I don't think usb/fw can provide consistent results. Also your computer has a lot to do with performance. SSD and a dedicated fine tuned OS
Old 23rd February 2015
  #7
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
I already got the PC covered. SSD drive and tuned OS. The Studio Capture has high reviews in regards to its USB driver being incredibly stable and tuned for performance. I wouldn't mind eventually getting a Pro Tools HDX system but unless I'm able to secure a business loan I doubt I'll have access to that kind of tech for a while. I'm already getting 5ms latency on the Studio Capture and that's at 96 samples. Im not having any issues with glitching audio, so I can probably go down to 32 samples if I wanted to.
Old 23rd February 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
 
mu6gr8's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecannon ➡️
Anyway to get back to my original question, how do most pros interface with their DAW when they need a lot of analogue inputs that can be sent as its own track to a computer?
I'm hanging four Lynx Aurora 16s off an HDX card for 64 simultaneous channels of analog I/O. Works & sounds great.

Mic preamps are separate from the interface/converters. The mic pre outputs are on a patchbay, where they can easily be patched to any desired converter input.
Old 21st March 2015
  #9
323496
Guest
I can sometimes go down to 32 samples with my Studio Capture in Logic. That part is good.

However, I'm very disappointed with its preamps. Lovecannon, would you mind checking this thread:

Roland Studio Capture hum and clicking noise on specific gain settings

I would like to know if your unit has the hum too.
Old 21st March 2015
  #10
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
It does have the hum. I never did notice the gain staging though, so you opened my eyes to that. However, I have noticed that I'm about 99% sure that noise is coming from the PC. The digitally controlled gain and fixed gain stages is bull****, however I still need to experiment to see if running a separate power conditioner to the PC will help. I've noticed that if I shut the PC off and run the Studio Capture on its own there is no preamp noise.
Old 22nd March 2015
  #11
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsebastion ➡️
most pros use burl,lynx avid and apogee with pcie/pcix cards in their desktops. simple stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla_studios ➡️
Commercial studios are overwhelmingly Pro Tools with Avid or Digidesign hardware. Yes, there might be something else but you almost always see a 192 or three.
This. Many are now updating to HD IOs; as you say, many still running 192s (I have 2 HD IOs, 1 192). Occasionally Apogee or Lynx - the odd super high end studio with Prisms. I've never seen a Mothership in a commercial studio - it's simply too expensive to justify for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsebastion ➡️
192? maybe the ones that haven't upgraded yet, and the reason for avid stuff in commercial places is because avid reps go to their studios and work out a whole system tailored to their needs.
The reason for Avid stuff in commercial places are because it's a complete system, with a single point of contact for support. And because they integrate perfectly with PT, with regard to converter delay etc.

Not because of reps.
Old 22nd March 2015 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
The reason for Avid stuff in commercial places are because it's a complete system, with a single point of contact for support. And because they integrate perfectly with PT, with regard to converter delay etc.

Not because of reps.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
I've never seen a Mothership in a commercial studio - it's simply too expensive to justify for most.
The only one I've seen is at Phase One in Toronto, in their Neve room.

Last edited by nspaas; 22nd March 2015 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 22nd March 2015
  #13
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Bucking the trend... Two Lucid 88192 with a Lynx AES 16 PCI card. 16 in/out with a 16 buss analog split console. We are running either ProTools 11 when the work comes that way or Nuendo for anything done in house.
Old 22nd March 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
And Burl has now added Dante to the offerings...
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 35107
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 889 views: 427878
Avatar for MediaGary
MediaGary 21st September 2020
replies: 66 views: 21215
Avatar for John DiNicola
John DiNicola 25th February 2014
replies: 1296 views: 188543
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump