Quantcast
NAMM 2015: Dave Smith reacquires Sequential brand, Debuts Sequential Prophet-6 Synth - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2015: Dave Smith reacquires Sequential brand, Debuts Sequential Prophet-6 Synth
Old 22nd January 2015
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years
NAMM 2015: Dave Smith reacquires Sequential brand, Debuts Sequential Prophet-6 Synth

NAMM 2015: Dave Smith reacquires Sequential brand, Debuts Sequential Prophet-6 Synth-sequential-back-banner-smaller2.jpg

In an unprecedented gesture of good will, Yamaha Corporation and its President, Takuya Nakata, have granted possession of the Sequential brand back to its original owner and company founder, Dave Smith. “To say that I’m grateful would be putting it mildly,” said Smith. “Generosity at this level is almost unheard of in today’s corporate climate.”

Like the other pioneering American synthesizer manufacturers of the late 1970’s and 80’s, Moog and Oberheim, Sequential’s fortunes declined when digital instruments eclipsed their analog counterparts. All three company founders subsequently lost the rights to their own company name. When Sequential ceased operations in 1987, its name and assets were acquired by Yamaha. For a number of years following that, Smith worked as a consultant for Yamaha and Korg, and was largely responsible for Korg’s successful Wavestation series of vector-synthesis-based instruments.

Instrumental in restoring the Sequential name was Roland’s Founder, Ikutaro Kakehashi, a longtime colleague and friend of Smith’s. “I feel that it’s important to get rid of unnecessary conflict among electronic musical instrument companies,” said Kakehashi. “That is exactly the spirit of MIDI. For this reason, I personally recommended that the President of Yamaha, Mr. Nakata, return the rights to the Sequential name to Dave Smith. And I’m glad to see such a wonderful result—a new product with the Sequential name.”

Kakehashi is referring to Smith’s timely debut of a new analog poly synth bearing the Sequential name: the Prophet-6. “I wanted to celebrate the return of Sequential in the best way I could—by building the most awesome-sounding, modern analog poly synth possible,” said Smith. “The Prophet-6 is a tribute to Sequential’s most famous instrument, the Prophet-5. I think of it as vintage with a modern twist.” The new instrument features voltage-controlled oscillators, filters, and amplifiers. Its emphasis is on vintage analog tone with modern reliability.

Kakehashi, now CEO of Atelier Vision Corporation, is no stranger to such altruistic gestures. He was the original bridge and facilitator in the cooperative effort between Smith and Japanese instrument manufacturers Roland, Korg, Yamaha, and Kawai to develop the MIDI standard. The goal of the MIDI standard was to ensure compatibility between synthesizers from different manufacturers to the mutual benefit of all.

“Kakehashi-san is right,” said Smith. “This is really what MIDI was originally about—encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place. One can only hope that Yamaha’s kindness inspires others to show the same generosity. The original spirit of MIDI lives on. And because of that, Sequential is back!”

The Prophet-6 will be available in the second quarter of 2015 with a projected MAP of $2,799.

View a video of Dave Smith introducing the Prophet-6 at Dave Smith Instruments.
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM 2015: Dave Smith reacquires Sequential brand, Debuts Sequential Prophet-6 Synth-sequential-back-banner-smaller2.jpg  
Attached Images
NAMM 2015: Dave Smith reacquires Sequential brand, Debuts Sequential Prophet-6 Synth-dsi-20logo.png 
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow...feel-good story of the day.

Congrats to Dave...and kudos to Ikutaro Kakehashi and Yamaha.

Beastie of a machine, too!
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Speechless!!!

Best of namm 2015!!!!! Korg who???? Odyssey what??????
Old 22nd January 2015
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years
NAMM 2015: Dave Smith Unveils Sequential Prophet-6 Analog Synthesizer

Dave Smith today announced the Sequential Prophet-6, a new 6-voice synthesizer with an all-analog signal path and discrete VCOs and filters. Auspiciously branded with Smith’s recently reacquired original company name, the new instrument is aimed squarely at musicians in search of vintage tone with the reliability of modern technology. Said Smith: “The Prophet-6 is a tribute to the original poly synth that started it all—the Sequential Prophet-5. But more importantly, it’s the culmination of our effort to build the most awesome-sounding, modern analog poly synth possible.” Added Smith: “It’s not a reissue, it’s vintage with a modern twist.”

The Prophet-6 features two newly-designed, discrete voltage-controlled oscillators (plus sub-oscillator) per voice, with continuously variable waveshapes (triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse). There are two discrete filters per voice: a four-pole, resonant, low-pass inspired by the original Prophet-5 filter, and a two-pole, resonant, high-pass filter. Voltage-controlled amplifiers complete the all-analog signal path. “Our new VCOs, VCAs and filters give the Prophet-6 terrific warmth and presence,” said Smith. “The classic, big, punchy analog poly sound is all here.”

Also present from its classic predecessor is the much-loved Poly Mod section, albeit with enhancements. True to the original, modulation sources are filter envelope and oscillator 2 (both with bi-polar control). Destinations however, have been expanded to include oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 1 shape, oscillator 1 pulse width, low-pass filter cutoff, and high-pass filter cutoff. Another welcome reprise is Unison mode, which features configurable voice count (1-6 voices) and key modes.

The knob-per-function front panel is free of menu-diving, offering immediate access to virtually all parameters. Toggling off the Preset switch enables live panel mode, in which the sound of the instrument switches to the current settings of its knobs and switches. “We wanted to make the Prophet-6 as fast and easy to navigate as possible. Switch off Preset and what you see is what you hear,” said Smith.

A significant enhancement to the original design is a dual effects section with studio-quality reverbs, delays

(including standard and BBD), chorus and phase shifter. While the effects themselves are digital, with 24-bit, 48 kHz resolution, a true bypass maintains a full analog signal path. An independent stereo distortion is also provided and is 100% analog.

Additionally, the Prophet-6 features a multimode arpeggiator and a polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (and up to 6 notes per step) plus rests. It allows polyphonic keyboard input and can sync to external MIDI clock.

The full-size, four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard is velocity and aftertouch sensitive. “We completely empathize with project studios and gigging musicians,” said Smith, “so we made size a primary concern on the Prophet-6. We think it’s an ideal mix of portability and power. Best of all, it sounds amazing. Musicians are going to love it. ”

The Prophet-6 will be available in the second quarter of 2015 with a projected MAP of $2,799.

Dave Smith Instruments.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
WOW
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
so what will street price be? like 2200?
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Wow, very unexpected!
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is really smart on several levels. Kudos to Dave Smith. I want one.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lovely
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
+1 for best Gearslutz thread of all time.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So, Yamaha Corporation HAVE been involved in one of the mot interesting and desirable synths of 2015 (seriously. that was a great thing to do)! I didn't see that coming and am currently looking around my little studio for stuff to put on ebay!PS- Roland- this is what I call a good lookin' synth!
Old 22nd January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➡️
so what will street price be? like 2200?

They list it at $2,799 MAP

MAP = Minimum Advertised Price

All official dealers will HAVE to list at that price but that doesn't prevent your favorite dealer from offering you a better price. My guess is the lowest you'll be able to easily find by calling around would be just under $2,400.

If they nail the sound then I think either is a killer price.

Last edited by rapfreak; 22nd January 2015 at 07:36 PM..
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Dave Smith wins in such a big way. Who isn't going to get this?
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Maniac

Prophet-5 was my first synth in 1980.
I am buying this, effects, step sequencer, arp.

Awesome!

-dj
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's great. BUT: A fully DISCRETE Prophet without Curtis chips? Is this really a Prophet then? (provoking synth history here)
Old 22nd January 2015
Deleted 9b8a453
Instant Gearlust! I was not excited about the other DSI offerings, but this is really amazing, start saving now folks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt ➡️
It's great. BUT: A fully DISCRETE Prophet without Curtis chips? Is this really a Prophet then? (provoking synth history here)
As long as it sounds good.. who cares?
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
now this would be a nice complement to the Moog Voyager... must get
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I must have this.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is great news. It lacks 1 octave, but I better live with it. I will save up money, got to get it, no matter what.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by payt ➡️
As long as it sounds good.. who cares?
Listening to soundcloud right now, it actually sounds better. It was the Curtis part I always hated about Sequential. Now I have to reconfigure my Weltanschauung because in my book Sequential was a strident american "Semiconductor" sound ... not anymore.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What a fantastic time for synth-enthusiasts...
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sounds great ! So this looks like Dave is bringing out a whole new line , very cool . Also has anyone else noticed the full beard he has now At first I was thinking something looks different with Dave .
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

Haven't heard enough to form any opinion.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sounds great from the demo I saw. This will be in my studio.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is how to launch a product (and a great one from first listening), not announcing it for ages before it hits the shops ...
Well done
So far this one wins the show
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Holy mother of god.... sold!
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes! Someone finally listened. Will buy immediately. Now the wait...
Old 22nd January 2015
Deleted User
The best thing happened for 37 years!
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Given the recent "re-releases", this is it should be done -- an excellent balance between modern and vintage. I bet this will please a lot of people.

I can't wait for the monophonic version...
📝 Reply