New mic pres from Hairball Audio - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New mic pres from Hairball Audio
Old 2nd May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball Audio ➑️
The FET/500 series is awesome. MNATS really hit it out of the park with them.

The audio signal is identical to the original and uses the same +30/-10 supply. He was able to use creative grounding to get the 30V rail without using a noisy DC/DC converter. Same transformers, same components.

The noise floor is only marginally higher and certainly way below what is acceptable for pro audio. Nothing you would ever detect with hooking them up to an audio analyzer. They're dead quiet.

We actually like them better because 1) they sound the same and 2) the have the 2:1 ratio which is our favorite ratio 3) have true bypass 4) more responsive/accurate metering.

The only thing you're giving up is the cool 2U format and and the classic push buttons. The tiny knobs take some getting used to.
thank you for the information that's really great to know. another big reason to consider 500 format for me.
Old 2nd May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There is always give and take with designing a pre. I would say try the Lola with BA512, I think you'll be super happy!

Mike
I sent an email to you about the silver. you guys get back pretty quick. Still thinking about your lola 512 option. Or the gold for that matter. I keep worrying about clean. As i have 8 apollo mic pres. But I should probably let that go. Im sure the clean of the gold or the lola is far superior to the apollo clean. I can definitely hear the difference with the copper.
Old 3rd May 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Alright, i was going to post some copper clips. But i'll wait until tomorrow. For some reason, the uploader thing is failing to post. I'll try again tomorrow. If you want to hear the clips on drums, i posted them in another thread. Here's the link.

At the end of this thread... https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-...l#post11018536
Old 4th May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRanger ➑️
I sent an email to you about the silver. you guys get back pretty quick. Still thinking about your lola 512 option. Or the gold for that matter. I keep worrying about clean. As i have 8 apollo mic pres. But I should probably let that go. Im sure the clean of the gold or the lola is far superior to the apollo clean. I can definitely hear the difference with the copper.
Try the Lola 990.

Then you could check out the 512 Lola by popping in the 512's from your coppers.

Mike
Old 4th May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Try the Lola 990.

Then you could check out the 512 Lola by popping in the 512's from your coppers.

Mike
ha! I don't even wanna get into opening up those boxes. I'm not handy with that stuff. The fine humans at Pro Recording Store ( utah ) put my coppers together for me.

But I'll be ordering something soon. Paid my taxes...Time to buy again =)
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Just another thought. My favorite part about the copper pre amp is the effect it has on cymbals. My cymbals are already in the " jazz " camp. But I love a thick top end on cymbals vs a ticky like sound. So obviously, the copper kills ( and I mean kills ) on drums. But the real magic for me has been overheads. That being said, my overhead microphones are the MJE-250 mod. So my sound was already a little soothing. But that's the biggest difference in drum sound for me vs my standard apollo mic pre-amps. The top end is just smooth. And that's just with my the condensers! Can't wait to hear the ribbons I have=)

Last edited by FreeRanger; 8th May 2015 at 04:04 PM..
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Seriously considering a pair of 990 lolas for my first 500 series slots. A friend graciously loaned me his coppers and they sounded awesome. I'm feeling the bigger bottom from the lolas would be a cool character to get my hands on which my interface doesnt really do on its own but maaaaaan those coppers sounded great.
Old 8th May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumsmile ➑️
Seriously considering a pair of 990 lolas for my first 500 series slots. A friend graciously loaned me his coppers and they sounded awesome. I'm feeling the bigger bottom from the lolas would be a cool character to get my hands on which my interface doesnt really do on its own but maaaaaan those coppers sounded great.
Agreed=) Coppers are good! I'm curious to hear the others though. If you get them ( lolas ) please share your thoughts.
Old 8th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did anyone compare these to Great River preamps ?
Old 8th May 2015
Jtt
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnielson ➑️
Did anyone compare these to Great River preamps ?
I like my Lola 512 better for vocals then my great river. I like the great river bass DI slightly more, and I would split the difference on guitar. The Lola is a great buy, especially if you put it together yourself.
Old 9th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt ➑️
I like my Lola 512 better for vocals then my great river. I like the great river bass DI slightly more, and I would split the difference on guitar. The Lola is a great buy, especially if you put it together yourself.
Cheers. What makes you prefer one over the other in those particular scenarios ?
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Anyone have any sound files of vocals? Elements of Lola?
Old 12th June 2015 | Show parent
Jtt
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnielson ➑️
Cheers. What makes you prefer one over the other in those particular scenarios ?
Sorry for the delay--I didn't see this before. The Lola seems faster and a little more open, while still sounding really great. I like that on vocals. Something about the Great River DI though--so deep and meaty. Both are very good at these tasks and the DI on the lola is no slouch. Like the great river, it runs through the input transformer--which many preamp DI's do not.

Overdriving the Lola does not sound good (to me). Overdriving the great river can be good.

If either was my only pre--I would be perfectly content. Both are very good all around. I just enjoy putting things together now.

The Great river is built to withstand a ground zero nuclear strike; it is an overbuilt engineering marvel. The Lola is made of good stuff, but it is just a preamp card.
Old 21st June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt ➑️
Sorry for the delay--I didn't see this before. The Lola seems faster and a little more open, while still sounding really great. I like that on vocals. Something about the Great River DI though--so deep and meaty. Both are very good at these tasks and the DI on the lola is no slouch. Like the great river, it runs through the input transformer--which many preamp DI's do not.

Overdriving the Lola does not sound good (to me). Overdriving the great river can be good.

If either was my only pre--I would be perfectly content. Both are very good all around. I just enjoy putting things together now.

The Great river is built to withstand a ground zero nuclear strike; it is an overbuilt engineering marvel. The Lola is made of good stuff, but it is just a preamp card.
Do you have any clips of the 5 12 on vocals or anything else for that matter?
Old 4th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So, I wanted to put up some drum clip examples. Two Overheads ( MJE-250 ) through 2 Hairball Audio Copper mic pre amps. In my 12 x 12 rehearsal space. I'm a fan of this pre amp on ANYTHING. But I especially love it on overheads . it chills all of the necessary high end you may get with cymbals, drums, or anything with SHINE.

Off to do gigs to by MORE. lol
Attached Files
Old 4th December 2015
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sounds pretty good! I can imagine that working in a track with other microphones.
Old 4th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've just finished building my 3rd Lola with 990 op-amps (one more to go!).
A bit of a finicky build, particularly the meter board, but all in all very doable, even if requiring a little patience and extra attention, compared to, say, VP26's and VP312's, which I've done a few of in the past.
Very happy with the sound of it so far, if not overdriven, which can be done fairly easily. Clean, but with some balls and authority up to about 35-40 dB gain and a moderate output setting. After that you're driving it pretty hard and overloading the A/D's anyway. Love the DI on bass, and I'm looking forward to recording some kick, toms, piano and vocals soon.
Old 9th January 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Has anyone mixed and matched with one ba512 and one 990 in a single lola? Or is that a stupid question?
Old 10th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovin2 ➑️
Has anyone mixed and matched with one ba512 and one 990 in a single lola? Or is that a stupid question?
Wouldn't that sort of un-match the differential amplfier?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➑️
Wouldn't that sort of un-match the differential amplfier?
I was guessing/asking about a 2520/1731 type-relationship using 990/ba512
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovin2 ➑️
I was guessing/asking about a 2520/1731 type-relationship using 990/ba512
My point is don't they need to be a matched set?
Old 12th January 2016
Lives for gear

24 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, they need to be a matched set in a Lola. It's not the same deal.
Old 28th January 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Here's one more example off the hairball audio pre-amps ruling. Two LRM-1 Ribbons-Two Hairball Audio Bronze mic pre-amps. FULL & AWESOME. I'm finally ready to start making some music. I've been putting it off so I could understand this sound/gear stuff. Not that anyone cares. lol. But i'm just saying...I'm kind of excited to get into it.
Attached Files
Old 28th January 2016
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Cool sound. I've been listening to Sea Change recently, reminds me of that. I wonder if Godrich was using Coles ribbons on that kit, really does sound kind of like it, especially that tom sound.
Old 29th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Possibly. I believe Joey is on that record. You should send me some music to play on for fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➑️
Cool sound. I've been listening to Sea Change recently, reminds me of that. I wonder if Godrich was using Coles ribbons on that kit, really does sound kind of like it, especially that tom sound.
πŸ“ Reply