The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Linear phase frequency band splitter
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
thanks for the reply!

MB-7 looks interesting, though perhaps limited since you can only add 2 plugins pre and 2 post on each band (maybe also getting blue cat's patchwork plugin will allow those 2 slots to be expanded?). It seems the MB-7 is minimum phase. I really do like the Equilibrium options to try out different phases for each band in free phase. I've been having good results using linear on the upper cross-over, and minimum on the lower.

To save bus real-estate in other areas of the mix, the Blue Cat Patchwork plugin look great! I can probably use that for a lot of my parallel routing, and then perhaps save the bus real-estate to to do null trick for kick and bass. Getting the low end right in the mix is very important to me, so I'd love to use the null trick if possible on Kick and Bass.
Old 15th October 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Testing the null trick, I am finding it nulls perfectly with linear phase, minimum phase, analogue, zero-latency analogue and IIR with DMG equilibrium.

What is the benefit of using linear phase in the null trick situation? If it nulls perfectly with a signal that isn't split, I am assuming there is no phase distortion regardless of the mode of the splitter, and it does not matter which is used, so the lowest latency settings would be superior...zero-latency analogue or IIR.
Old 27th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRECS ➑️
MB-7 looks interesting, though perhaps limited since you can only add 2 plugins pre and 2 post on each band (maybe also getting blue cat's patchwork plugin will allow those 2 slots to be expanded?). It seems the MB-7 is minimum phase.
MB-7 filters are indeed minimum phase. In another thread, some folks suggested to the developers that they add linear phase filters as an option. Their response was, in effect, "maybe someday".

To do what the original poster was trying to do, I ended up picking Patchwork with multiple instances of a filter plugin to create the bands. At the moment, my linear phase choice for the filters is DDMF LP10. It's small and light. Based on a fairly superficial test, the bands appear to sum with no level variations near the crossover points. I need to test in more detail, though.

With regard to the early part of this thread, if I recall correctly, a Linkwitz-Riley filter is (by definition) two Butterworths in series. You can make a L-R filter with a single plugin that has at least two bands that can both be set to Butterworth curves at the same frequency and placed in series. Again, Patchwork is a great framework for this.
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I am also looking for a plugin that does this. Has anything new been released last year? Want to recombine two tracks that have been processed slightly different with the cutoff point at about 800 Hz.
Old 8th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbot ➑️
I am also looking for a plugin that does this. Has anything new been released last year? Want to recombine two tracks that have been processed slightly different with the cutoff point at about 800 Hz.
Not that I know of (and I'm trying to keep track). My solution is still Patchwork with a linear phase filter on each band. In addition to LP10, another great choice for this is DMG Equick with the filters set to linear mode.
Old 5th July 2016
Pep
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What about the Pro Multiband Splitter from Avid? I believe it's pretty transparent but don't know the actual facts on what it does.
Also the minimum band width on the higher end of the spectrum is about 0.5 kHz, which can be a pain in the ass sometimes for very precise insertions.

Any of you guys know about Wavelab 9 Pro's Splitting options? Please let me know,
Old 6th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So.... such a basic stand alone, simple piece of software still does not exist!

Iv been doing a fair bit of splitting with multi band comps (comp sections bypassed), but the band q's and crossovers are sooooo wide its ridiculous!

Somebody!!! Please create this tool, market it properly, you will make a fortune!!

Last edited by cupid stunt; 7th October 2016 at 05:20 PM..
Old 8th October 2016
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This is easy to do. Mult the audio to as many separate tracks as you wish to split it to. Use a linear phase EQ with crossover points that are 6dB down (in many EQs such as Pro2 this requires doubling up identical filters since they're only -3db at Fc and you need the crossover points to be -6dB). If you low pass the LF at 100hz then use a 100hz HPF on the mid band. If you've done it properly they'll sum perfectly. A single EQ plugin on each of the bands / channels is all that is needed.

If the EQs aren't linear phase this won't work.

Alternately, in Live you can do this all using a rack inserted on a single track.

Last edited by nms; 8th October 2016 at 12:30 PM..
Old 9th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why wouldn't Blue Cats MB7 plugin work for you? You can add different plugs directly on the different bands.
Old 9th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't wanna be mr killjoy, but it can be a bit misleading to use linear phase, or phase cancellation, as a sign of 'unaffected'. Even though the splits can be made quite transparent, the differentiated parts of the audio spectrum may not match up with the other parts 'as before' anyway, or an a way that is wanted, if you use different processing on each part.

Try to use your ears, rather than technical principles, to determine what works better and what doesn't.

Last edited by Sk106; 9th October 2016 at 03:26 PM..
Old 9th October 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
...nearly any of the multiband plugs from Melda Productions will give you the features your looking for...hth.../s~
Old 9th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
MB-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are ➑️
Why wouldn't Blue Cats MB7 plugin work for you? You can add different plugs directly on the different bands.
Earlier in this thread it was established that the MB7's crossovers are not linear phase -- the bands don't sum back to the original input signal. Someone from Blue Cat said they would consider adding a linear phase option in the future.

Last edited by rrichard63; 9th October 2016 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: fix typo
Old 9th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Melda Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveGS ➑️
...nearly any of the multiband plugs from Melda Productions will give you the features your looking for...hth.../s~
Does Melda have a plugin that is like Blue Cat MB-7, so that you can process each band with different effects? That's really the primary motive for this whole thread.

Last edited by rrichard63; 9th October 2016 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 9th October 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
...can't say, I've never used the Blue Cat MB-7...there is a "free bundle" download of some of the plugs as well as a fourteen-day trial of everything...take a look...hth.../s~
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
FL Studio has Frequency Splitter like that. I don't know if they give it as a separate VST. There is a way to split with any linear phase EQ. You set the EQ to low pass, then you send it as is to one channel(this will be the first band) and other inverted to the sum with dry signal(this becomes second band). And that takes away this part from the dry signal. Now you have 2 bands. You do the same with the resulted second band signal "low pass to one channel" "low pass inverted + dry 2nd band" signal makes it take away and creates 3rd band. Now you have 3 bands and so on.
This requires correct latency compensation by DAW. I think usually they have it.

I think I just answered a wrong topic...
πŸ“ Reply