Any using the A&H QU-16? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any using the A&H QU-16?
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Any using the A&H QU-16?

It's another live-oriented digital mixer similar to the Behringer X32 Compact and Presonus Studio Live 16.4.2, but it looks slightly higher quality and more thought-out/robust than the others (speculatively-speaking of course as I haven't touched either).

Anyone using it for studio use? Live only? Bands bringing it to shows?
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anywhere you might use a digital board it would be good. I've done live gigs, recorded to Pro Tool on a MBP, and brought it home to mix on the Qu and it works great, SOUNDS EXCELLENT!

But it really shines in live gigs. No racks of processing and EQs, quick versatility on the fly, and built-in recoding to external USB drive.

I 2009, I started working with a fine Soundcarft Vi4 at my job, got used to digital live mixing, and when the Presonus came out I popped for one for my own rig. Major workflow changes, lighter set of gear, and sounded fine... Then it had a hardware problem with a firmware upgrade and stranded me on a gig, and while it was getting serviced I got a Mackie ipad mixer, which has many limitations but is fun and compact for smaller gigs, and then the Qu-16 came out and it is my ideal mixer - moving faders, resettable preamps, gorgeous effects, incremental scene changes(!) and lightweight.

If I had a studio I would seriously consider it, but not if I had all the bells and whistles already. For mixing from a DAW via USB to the mixer, and AES out to the recorder, it might even work for mastering if the user is good.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been looking at the upcoming QU-24 for studio use as well. I played around with a QU-16 and have to say it felt great. Extremely intuitive to operate and get around on. It also felt really snappy when it came from moving through menus, changing scenes, etc.

Lou,
Have you tried using it as a control surface with any software DAWs?
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile ➡️
I've been looking at the upcoming QU-24 for studio use as well. I played around with a QU-16 and have to say it felt great. Extremely intuitive to operate and get around on. It also felt really snappy when it came from moving through menus, changing scenes, etc.

Lou,
Have you tried using it as a control surface with any software DAWs?
Good question - no I haven't. My mix room is small and the Qu lives with my live gig gear. I should set it up and find out! It sure would be more fun than mouse-mixing.
<L>
📝 Reply