Quantcast
Lots of Noise with new Rode NT1 (Black model) - Faulty Unit? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lots of Noise with new Rode NT1 (Black model) - Faulty Unit?
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Lots of Noise with new Rode NT1 (Black model) - Faulty Unit?

Hi, I need your advice.

I bought a Rode NT1, the new black model, and other equipment for my home studio including the Saffire Pro 24 DSP firewire interface. Im using the NT1 with that interface. Since I heard for first time the NT1 through the Saffire I hear a lot of noise. Even the noise is recorded when I tried to do something with the NT1. This noise is not present when the NT1 is not connected or when I use other mics like SM57. Im using the phantom power obviously for the NT1.

At first I thought that the Saffire would be the problem so I went to the shop were I bought the Saffire (I bought the NT1 in other shop) and I tried the Saffire with other condenser mic, a Sansom entry model. No noise was heared. When I connected the NT1 the noise was still present. I disconnected the NT1 and I examined it. Then I tried the NT1 with another interface (RME usb interface) and the noise was there too. I tried again the NT1 with the Saffire and the noise was there but suddenly it disappeared. My actual situation is that the most of the times the noise is here and for short periods of time sometimes it disappears. That is a problem because Im afraid that when I attemping to show to the salesman of the NT1 shop the problem that Im experimenting maybe the noise will not be there.

What can be? or I have a faulty Rode NT1 new model?

I recorded the noise that Im experimenting with my Rode NT1. Please take caution when hearing, in some spots even I get heavy clippings. In some spots I turned down the gain in order to not generate a lot of clipping. The gain was only at 50% most of the time, if I keep turning up the gain dial at 1 o'clock I got a huge heavy clipping, I cant pass 1 o'clock for that reason.

Rode NT1 Noise with Saffire Pro 24 DSP, recorded in Cubase 7 by Cybrid on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The mic is faulty my new rode nt1 is supper quiet take it back and get a new one.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I think is a very faulty unit. I'll apply warranty. Thanks for the input.
📝 Reply