Quantcast
Not quite sure on which direction to go... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Not quite sure on which direction to go...
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Not quite sure on which direction to go...

I recently just sold some gear and got around $500 to spend on my studio and I'm not quite sure on what I should do next. I have a room that I'm trying to convert in to a live room which is 11x10. Right now there's no acoustic treatment in it besides a bass trap. Here's my problem...

Rumbling through one of the forums, I stumbled upon this panel "http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-242-acoustic-panel/" for the price that seems pretty good

Should I purchase some panels and get a SE electronics mini iso booth? Or should I mod my NT1A with the MJE mod and spend the last $100 on building panels by hand? The NT1A is my main LDC.

Thanks in advance
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Acoustic treatment is always a good thing but you can get a lot done with quilts over a boom stand set like a "T".
You don't mention what other mics you have. I'd buy an SM-7. They sound great and can make your room sound better than it is since they aren't as sensitive as an LDC. Blending the mics will also give you another sound and you might not feel the need for the mod.

A good set of tracking headphones are a must for me. I love the ATM-H50s and you can get a pair for around $100 from eBay dealers.
I can make a record with those two right there.
Old 14th March 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
From experience,I personally would avoid the sE Reflxion.It's simply not worth the dough and a real clunky contraption
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Converting a 11x10 room into a live room is tough.You didn't say whether you want to record live drums or guitar in there but my advice is,if you do,close mic everything regardless of the treatment.Use something like an sm7 rather than LDC's for vocals.JMO
Old 14th March 2014

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think most commercial acoustic products are a bit of a rip off. You are paying for cosmetics and shipping and insurance and putting the kids through college, etc, etc, etc. Most are just some absorbent material in an untuned holder/box, tarted up with some slick cosmetics and rhetoric.

The only thing better than a little bit of absorbent material is a LOT of absorbent material, in the right place. Franky, I think a few cheap foam mattresses strategically placed in each corner of a room can be more effective than some commercial products. But cosmetics are important, and if a brand name makes you for your clients feel good then I say go for it.

+1 to the SM7B recommendation ... I have a bunch of Rode mics, and most of my vocal recording problems went away when I got an SM7B. An LCD is just not the right mic for every voice - and cheap ones with an established reputation for sounding harsh don't help.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The SM7B is on my list of next things to purchase, I would be tracking drums in the room as well and my current mics besides the SM7B are an Audio Technica AT2020 which I'm planning on selling, a CAD M179 and a few SM57's
πŸ“ Reply