Quantcast
Lauten Atlantis, your impressions? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lauten Atlantis, your impressions?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lauten Atlantis, your impressions?

I recently upgraded my Blackspade U17 with the Thiersch M7 capsule, Blueline. It's in a U47/49 style. I liked the plain vanilla U17 so much, I thought the capsule would complete it, giving me a fuller low end, and a less brittle top. I've only spent maybe 1/2 hour with it since it's return, but I'm not sure I like it so much now.

I've had a terrible chest cold, so there's chance it's my fault, but while I'm waiting, has anyone here used the Lauten Atlantis?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Musically, my own style is Alt. Country, similar to Tom Petty, Ryan Adams, Lucinda Williams, etc. But I'm not limited to that alone when it comes to vocal sound. My wife's a former Atlantic Records artist and she dozes some work with me too. My benchmark for a vocal sound I like is Lyle Lovett's "Road to Ensenada", and he used a Neumann U67 on that, with a stereo C24 on the guitar.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i will wave the flag for the Atlantis all day long…..no affiliation other than I am a paying customer that absolutely loves this mic. it's versatile and sounds great.

when i got this mic all of a sudden my vocals were able to sit in the mix perfectly and were still audible without having to sit on top of the mix for them to be heard.

admittedly, i'm not a guy that has been able to record with vintage U67's and other "holy grail" mics…..I'm just a regular guy working and playing music trying to figure out how to buy the best gear I can while making a house payment and sending kids to college…..lol

but i have extensive experience with;

neumann tlm 103
mojave ma-200
rode nt2a
shure ksm 33
royer r-121
shure sm7b
shure sm57 and beta 57a
shure sm 58
sennheiser md441

and now the lauten audio atlantis and for my money none of those mics are as useful to me as the atlantis when it comes to vocals or acoustic guitars.

here is a link to some of my music that will showcase the Atlantis is action https://soundcloud.com/masque13

the one that probably shows the intimacy of the mic the best is "I will do"….the vocals and acoustic guitars were done with the atlantis thru a great river pre into a uad apollo into logic x.

other songs done with the atlantis include;

no parole
allright
what i want
the ballad of the ferryman
simple simon
somewhere in missouri
2 good 2 b true
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks masque13. I went to Soundcloud, but none of the tracks will play. They look like they're playing, but no sound. The volume is up and my system is working.

I tried my own Soundcloud tracks, and they play fine..
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I only rec vocals with mine n I love it. But i also have never used a holy grail mic.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Something's not right at Soundcloud for me. My system plays fine, my own Soundcloud files play fine, but I get no sound when trying to play both Jazjetson or masque13's tracks. Any idea why? Do you guys have to designate it "public" or something?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Played ok for me. R & R, baby! Sounds good!
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
not sure what the issue is…..i just went and checked what i could and it appears to be working fine….i have em all set to public as well. i'll try to research it bit more.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
try this link https://soundcloud.com/masque13/i-will-do
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
wow that is bizarre i was able to recreate your problem of no audio…….i also clicked on "jazjetson's" sound cloud link and had the same problem…..perhaps there is an issue with sound cloud right now????? i've never seen this happen before.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
ok i figured out my problem and if you are using "Safari" I can help you………you can go to "preferences" and then "advanced " and then UNCHECK the box that says something like "stop plug-ins from saving power"…….once I unchecked that box I could hear the tracks just fine…

i have a PC at work and a macbook pro at home so i didn't realize there was an issue with safari.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
this is the best thing going in the microphone world for me today. Unfortunately I have it out on loan more than I get to use it. I get so excited for others to try it I loan it out and they invariably buy one. It's a great mic...actually it's three great mics. Each setting has it's own sound.

I do not work for Lauten Audio but I am a long time fan. I love the Atlantis. My other go to mic was the Oceanus. I have found the Atlantis to give me both what I need and what I want. While I do voice over many of the friends I have loaned my mic to are vocalists and love it. And yes sometimes it's hard to get it back from people. ( I don't just loan it to anyone, I am careful about who I loan it to)

I wish I could tell you more. My best advice, get one. If you don't like it, which I doubt will happen, send it back.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
thanks masque13 GOT IT! Funny, that vocal sound is in a way, quite similar to my Blackspade U17R-Blueline, so I'm inclined to like it.

I just got a response from Daniel Sanint, the manager at Fab Dupont's Flux Studios here. He kindly offered to let me hear the Atlantis this Saturday. I plan to bring my mic and compare. How great is that? Too bad Fab's out of town, he doesn't equivocate with his opinions and has great ears.

Thanks voiceactor.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The mic absolutely kills, especially on vocals. PM me if you want to hear a recording with it.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sent you a PM Aaron, thanks.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This mic is excellent, yet to find a source it doesn't sound good on. Vox, guitar (electric & acoustic) drum room mic, sax are all v v good.

Also the guy behind Lauten, Brian Loudenslager, is a stand up guy. Not affiliated but a big fan & use this mic on every session.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
+1 on the high quality of the mic and Lauten in general. For a single mic, it's probably one of the most versatile out there because of its voicing options. I *am* proudly affiliated (as a dealer/reseller) and stake my reputation on the recommendation (although no microphone will always be perfect for every voice regardless of high quality).

Here is a youtube video that gives you an idea

Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That was great Nathan, thanks so much. I hope to do much the same this coming Saturday with my Blackspade mic and the Atlantis. For sure, the Atlantis is a contender, no doubt of its quality, it being in that class at the price it sells for is amazing.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I love my Atlantis. I've used a lot of different mics before and am glad I put the time into researching this one before buying. It has met all of my expectations and I look forward to using it on some upcoming vocal sessions.
Old 1st February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Resurrecting this thread. The OP never reported his decision?
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
5 Years after my above post about the Atlantis & it's still my primary vocal mic.
Made a lot of records with it and it always sits so well.
My vocal primary chain is Atlantis into a 500 series rack with an A-Designs blue EM preamp & a Foote Pico 502 compressor. Sometimes the Clariphonic or an Electrodyne 511 in the chain if I want more air or chest.

Here's a couple examples.

Female lead & background vocals are the Atlantis. A remix of this (same vox) is doing well in the UK soul charts right now.

Male lead vox (both singers) & Female bvox on Atlantis.
Old 4th February 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB ➡️
I recently upgraded my Blackspade U17 with the Thiersch M7 capsule, Blueline. It's in a U47/49 style. I liked the plain vanilla U17 so much, I thought the capsule would complete it, giving me a fuller low end, and a less brittle top. I've only spent maybe 1/2 hour with it since it's return, but I'm not sure I like it so much now.

I've had a terrible chest cold, so there's chance it's my fault, but while I'm waiting, has anyone here used the Lauten Atlantis?

I've had a Lauten Atlantis for a couple years now and I love it. To me, it has a very "tube mic" kind of sound--rich and full with articulate highs. It also has three different voicing presets available using a switch on the mic. The frequency curve for each is available at lautenaudio.com.
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Atlantis is my go-to vocal mic! It’s extremely versatile... sounds great on all kinds of voices in every conceivable genre. I sold my U87 when I demoed the Atlantis, no joke! I also love it on bass cabinet and outside the kick drum...
Old 25th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Do any of you have voiceover samples? Considering it for that application. Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by theglow ➡️
The Atlantis is my go-to vocal mic! It’s extremely versatile... sounds great on all kinds of voices in every conceivable genre. I sold my U87 when I demoed the Atlantis, no joke! I also love it on bass cabinet and outside the kick drum...
I know you posted that week over a year ago, but I’m curious.. how is the Atlantis holding up? Still your fave vocal mic?
Old 2nd September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarr ➡️
I know you posted that week over a year ago, but I’m curious.. how is the Atlantis holding up? Still your fave vocal mic?
I’ve added quite a few mics to my collection since then, and while I still feel the Atlantis is my most versatile mic (due to the voicing switch), I have to admit that the Soyuz 017 Tube is my absolute favorite... The upper-mid smoothness and off-axis rejection of the Soyuz just can’t be topped, but it doesn’t work for everything, so the Atlantis still sees frequent use (especially for rap/r’n’b vocals set to the ‘F’orward voicing. It’s also my favorite condenser for mono drum overhead.
Old 2nd September 2020
Lives for gear

The Atlantis is a lot of mic for the money. It's one of the mics we wished we'd kept in our "try every vocal mic" frenzy a few years back. It's a good deal especially if you can find one in "mint" condition used, $900- 1100 range.

The other 2 vocal mics that are high on the list in this range are the Telefunken Copperhead and Soundelux U195s. Can't go wrong with any of these. In a commercial studio, the Atlantis is a big, impressive mic with 3 voicings for fast flexibility.
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I’ve added quite a few mics to my collection since then, and while I still feel the Atlantis is my most versatile mic (due to the voicing switch), I have to admit that the Soyuz 017 Tube is my absolute favorite... The upper-mid smoothness and off-axis rejection of the Soyuz just can’t be topped, but it doesn’t work for everything, so the Atlantis still sees frequent use (especially for rap/r’n’b vocals set to the ‘F’orward voicing. It’s also my favorite condenser for mono drum overhead.
Could you post a clip of the atlantis on mono OH? This is the main reason I'm considering it. I'm looking for a fet mono OH

thanks
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han ➡️
Could you post a clip of the atlantis on mono OH? This is the main reason I'm considering it. I'm looking for a fet mono OH

thanks
This is not an isolated clip, but all of the drums on this record are just an RE20 on the kick and the Atlantis on overhead... that’s it!

Quote:
Follow the Weather, a song by Nomenclature on Spotify

Follow the Weather, a song by Nomenclature on Spotify
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This is not an isolated clip, but all of the drums on this record are just an RE20 on the kick and the Atlantis on overhead... that’s it!
That’s what’s up! Thanks so much. That record also has a good Steven Malkmus vibe

I could never get my kick to sound that good with the re20. Probably user error. I’m basically doing the same mic setup but adding a mic under the snare.
📝 Reply