Quantcast
Reference Headphone advice - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reference Headphone advice
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I use Sennheiser HD650 & 600 at work.

For my own personal freelance work I use AKG K702.

The Sennheiser HD650 for me has the best balance of all three headphones and both the Sennheisers are VERY comfy (quite and important factor when 8 hours into a location session).

However, I find that the AKG K702 give me a little extra detail and I can hear compression & distortion artefacts extremely clearly. Balance wise they are perhaps slightly bright.

These are the only headphones I've ever really used to any great length.

Dave
Old 22nd March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones ➑️
I use Sennheiser HD650 & 600 at work.

For my own personal freelance work I use AKG K702.

The Sennheiser HD650 for me has the best balance of all three headphones and both the Sennheisers are VERY comfy (quite and important factor when 8 hours into a location session).

However, I find that the AKG K702 give me a little extra detail and I can hear compression & distortion artefacts extremely clearly. Balance wise they are perhaps slightly bright.

These are the only headphones I've ever really used to any great length.

Dave
Hi dave, do you have to run them through a headphone amp or would a firewire soundcard do the trick? this is the spec of the fa66
FA-66 :: Products :: Roland
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Focal Spirit Professional - those are very flat, with bass going down to DC. If you want to evaluate how deep your headphones/monitors can go in bass department - try 'Tron' OST by Daft Punk.
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Most accurate dynamic headphones ever heard (frequency response -wise):
High impedance: GMP450 pro
Low impedance: SRH 1840

High reputation, high distortion: HD800
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
GO with HD650 and Dangerous Music Source.
I never been this happy with any headphone/amp combination.
Old 23rd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
this is unprofessional poor man solution:
I bought some years ago closed headphones sweex hm510, as I remember for 15$
they are cheap, plastic, sound like ****, but they are easy to be moded
these cans wait to be "opened", look like open ones, have velour ear pads and grill.
For me open version sound very nice, I'm astonished
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derren ➑️
hi,
i'm looking for them more for studio use than for audiophile enjoyment, so i need them to be pretty clinical
I was in the same boat. My quest was over when I heard the HD-800 driven by the QES Labs HPBA-2 S.

Analytic, non-coloured, 'true-to-the-source' and natural sounding, featuring a lightning fast transient response.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi dave, do you have to run them through a headphone amp or would a firewire soundcard do the trick? this is the spec of the fa66
FA-66 :: Products :: Roland
In all honesty, I think they would run fine from the headphone output on that firewire card.

I personally use a Lavry DA10 which, to me, has excellent D/A conversion and an excellent headphone amp built in. I also use it to feed a pair of Geithain RL906 nearfield and a pair of Dynaudio M2s as per the XLR outputs on the back as well as the Headphone output on the front. Unfortunately the two are not independent so if you want headphone and no monitor then you have to either have monitor controller (which I do) or unplug / switch off your monitors.

Dave
Old 25th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
cheers guys, some great advice. i have decided to scrap getting a headphone amp and will use the money instead to up my headphone budget, it's just a choise now of either the k712's or hd650's.
Old 26th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
the sales pitch seems a bit strong "These drivers offer the most exact and correct sound reproduction you can imagine."
I know it is not germane to the discussion at this point, but for those who may be following along to make their own decision.....

I've been mixing with Ultrasones exclusively for over ten years and I've had some other good cans on.......Ultrasones really are different.
Old 28th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
should i steer clear of preowned cans? are they likely to have been played to within an inch or their life? or is there a benefit to buying well worn in ones?
πŸ“ Reply