Quantcast
Mojave MA-200 need your impressions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mojave MA-200 need your impressions
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Mojave MA-200 need your impressions

I recently upgraded my Blackspade UM17 with the Thiersch Blueline M7 capsule. I'm not sure how I feel about it now, and might consider something else. I've been ill, and my voice was in really bad shape, so I'll keep an open mind until the next time I try it.

I've read some raves about the Mojave MA-200. Sylvia Massey uses them all the time in her productions and swears by them. Now, my benchmark vocal sound is Lyle Lovett's tone on the "Road to Ensenada", which was done on a Neumann U67.. I've read the Mojave MA-200 is a basically done in a 67 style. I don't care if chain smoking Chinese amoeba made the capsule, as long as it sounds right.

Please let me know of your experiences with it, before I jump in the wrong direction.

Thanks.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
All the following vocals were recorded with an MA-200:

Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks so much Bill, that was really helpful. If I had tried to guess, and having never heard the MA-200, I would have guessed that was an AKG 414 on the vocals. There's a beautiful clarity there, but a thin low end. I don't mean it's top heavy, juts not huge in the bottom. I can see how a rock vocal in a crowded mix could be greatly helped by this kind of mic. First impression is I don't prefer it to my Blackspade though, which in a way, is a relief.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
MJB......I have owned and returned the MA-200 two different times in recent years.....it's a real good mic but here are some thoughts I have about it........while to my ears it sounded good in the mids and provided a bit of creaminess in the mids I also felt the lows were lacking a bit, but since I do mostly rock that wasnt the primary issue for me......the primary issue with that the highs were at times difficult to tame.......required quite a bit of de-essing and also required quite a bit of EQing some of the highs out with certain singers.

this mic to me was every bit as difficult to tame on the high end as the Neumann TLM-103. and to my ears didnt necessarily "blow away" the much cheaper Rode NT-2A.

The mic decision that I made that ultimately has been without a doubt the best move for me was taking the plunge on the Lauten Audio Atlantis. The mic doesnt sound like anything I have mentioned or ever heard before. to my ears it has more of a "vintage" flavor to it.....I do not struggle at ALL to control the highs and the versatility that is added by having the "forward", "neutral" and "gentle" makes it usable by nearly any voice type.

the Mojave is not a bad mic but I really do believe that with a few hundred dollars more that you could make a serious step up with the Atlantis. I'm not affiliated with Lauten at all....I paid full price for my Atlantis, but I am happy enough with it to recommend it to anyone.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks masque, that's what my ears were telling me when I listened to Bills files. Funny you should mention the Lauten, I've met Fab Dupont, and we spoke of it when he was working with them on the design. It is much more likely the kind of sound I like. I'll have to do some research. If I was able to compare it to my Blackspade U17 R-Blueline, and it was better, I can probably get enough cash for my mic to switch comfortably.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB ➑️
Thanks so much Bill, that was really helpful. If I had tried to guess, and having never heard the MA-200, I would have guessed that was an AKG 414 on the vocals. There's a beautiful clarity there, but a thin low end. I don't mean it's top heavy, juts not huge in the bottom. I can see how a rock vocal in a crowded mix could be greatly helped by this kind of mic. First impression is I don't prefer it to my Blackspade though, which in a way, is a relief.
The chain for most of the tracks I listed was MA200 -> UA 710 -> DBX902 -> Distressor. I can get a really warm sound out of it by running through a Trident S20/LA2A chain.

I rolled off the lows pretty good in many of these mixes because of the arrangements and styles.

I use several models of 414's on a regular basis and they sound very different from the MA-200. The 414's have a lot less color on the highs and are much more "brittle".

If you are looking for a really warm/round mic, consider using the Royer 122 or an AKG C12.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Bill. In her posts as a guest here, Sylvia Massey mentions the Mojave many times, so I know it's versatile. The C12 is my holy grail, but the Lauten Atlantis is in my price range, so I'll probably start investigating there.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use to work part time at a studio that had a pair of the MA-200s. They're a nice mic. I liked them on drum room, drum overheads, acoustic guitar and vocals, however they had this high top end air/sizzle I didn't care for.

Though recently, I've thought about buying a pair
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I considered the MA-200, demo'ed it. It had some nice qualities, nice definition. In the end, I felt it got a little spiky in the sibilants and lacked body.

I ultimately went with a Lauten Atlantis, and we are currently enjoying a quite lovely extended honeymoon together.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla ➑️
I considered the MA-200, demo'ed it. It had some nice qualities, nice definition. In the end, I felt it got a little spiky in the sibilants and lacked body.

I ultimately went with a Lauten Atlantis, and we are currently enjoying a quite lovely extended honeymoon together.

^ this
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cool, thanks guys. I've just emailed an acquaintance, and asked if I can come and listen to the Atlantis sometime next week.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i think that's a great move!
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted 1846071
I have to go with the group opinion here, the subjective descriptions match what I hear too. My experience with the Mojave -- on acoustic guitar, OH, and piano -- is that it's useable but not ideal.

I wouldn't buy one for vocals.

If the Atlantis doesn't work out for you, you might try one of the usual suspect 47 clones.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Yummerz. My Blackspade U17RB is in a 47 style already. Oliver Archut's BV8 transformer, Thiersch M7 capsule. I had a U47 FET two weeks ago, and both my wife and myself preferred the Blackspade. I've had a terrible chest cold lately, so I'm reserving final judgement on it while I search around. I've definitely decided the MA-200's not for me. The Atlantis seems like a possibility. I hope I can audition one soon.

* you guys have all been really great, thank you so much. It was a huge help to hear of your experiences and hear those sound files. I think I'll exit this thread and start a Lauten Atlantis thread.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
All the above opinions on the Mojave are valid. Funny thing about this mic though, in actual use, I've never had a client, singer, or musician not like the sound of it. Worth having just for that reason, especially at used prices. IMHO, and YMMV.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Edva, I can see where it can work well. Right now I need one killer vocal mic in the Neumann direction. I might even try a TLM49 too.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i think sylvia said she liked them most on overheads... but she also runs everything thru 1073's which can be dark and so a match for her in her situation. im interested in the oceanus as well... my buddy wants the mojaves because massey liked them so much.

tlm 49 is also kinda bright...

i hear dark tendencies in old 67's that is very pleasureable that being said I also hear good of the Lauten, the teleusa ak47II but even more so their u47/48, but if you had 8.5 just get a 67...right?
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks Edva, I can see where it can work well. Right now I need one killer vocal mic in the Neumann direction. I might even try a TLM49 too.
You're welcome.
Mics I think that sound "Neumannesque" to me in one way or another, for a lower price, are the little known Nevaton brand, and the Miktek brand. Of course, it all depends on how the voice fits the mic, and how the mic suits the ear. Good luck.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks Edva. If you guys would like to join me here, at the Lauten Atlantis thread I just started: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...pressions.html
I'd love to hear from you.
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I've used the MA200 for a long time, I built several of the old Mojave MA2 kits which is basically the same mic. After that I got a factory made one, they are a brighter mic, for me it sounds great on vocals and acoustic instruments. For me they work better on female vocals, when I've done male rock vocals the MA201fet is much better. From what I've heard the MA200 is similar to a U67, I've never made the comparison myself. I have compared the MA201fet to a U87 and found them very similar.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks jonathanm, I just listened to the Lauten Atlantis. If I was going FET, I think I'd go there before the Mojave.
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva ➑️
All the above opinions on the Mojave are valid. Funny thing about this mic though, in actual use, I've never had a client, singer, or musician not like the sound of it. Worth having just for that reason, especially at used prices. IMHO, and YMMV.
Great point. It does have a little extra sizzle to it..but it just so happens to be very complimentary to my voice, so it works great for me!
Old 13th December 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Sorry to bring up this old thread but just wondering if anybody had similar issues which they may be able to share. Plus I didn't want to start a new thread....

I've had an MA200 for a couple years now and on the whole been very happy with it. I have noticed something really irritating recently though on a couple of occasions with this mic and that is distortion!!

My usual tracking chain is MA-200 > Neve 1073DPD > LA2A > Focusrite Clarett 8PreX. On most singers this works very well - it is a bright mic but I don't mind that. However on my particular voice I'm getting some very noticeable and audible distortion when I sing louder. The Neve 1073 is on the lowest gain setting and the trim pot is dialled back a bit too. The LA2A is doing around 5-7dB compression on the loudest parts and the gain is set between 10-20. However when I sing louder something is still distorting.

I'm inclined to think its something the mic is doing as when I use my AKG 414 or SM7 I can achieve higher gains before driving something into distortion (it is very easy to notice distortion on my voice too for some reason).

I have done some other testing and think I found a bad 6AQ5 tube in the LA2A which I have since swapped and I have some NOS Mullard and GE tubes on their way for me to try out in there too.

When taking the LA2A out of the chain and just running the MA200 into the Neve on the same gain/output settings, I can get more headroom before distorting but on the louder parts its still there.

Is it just my voice and this mic? Anybody had any similar issues with this mic or chain? I'm starting to get paranoid something isn't right in my LA2A

Thanks
Adam
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A lot of time has passed since I was posting in this thread. I managed to do a shootout of top of the line mint condition vintage mics at a world class studio. There was a Neumann U47, M49 and U67, my Blackspade UM17R and the Soyuz 0-19 FET. The U47 was perfection itself, the M49 interesting, but too thin for my taste, the Blackspade was very very close to the U47, so much so, that with some expert tweaking might be indistinguishable, the surprise was the Soyuz. I didn't have their 0-17 tube version, which is a monster, but the 0-19 FET was incredibly good, considering the competition, that's saying something. It turned out that for my voice, the U67 was the best fit, just gigantic, and detailed too. You could feel more of the natural ambience of the room as well. The Soyuz has a K67 style capsule, so it was close to the U67 in vibe. So, if you don't have $10,000 - $15,000 for the vintage mic, the Soyuz is remarkable, and the 0-17 tube version (I know from having it for a week), competes neck and neck with anything, including the 47 and 67.
Old 20th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Man I have been eyeing the soyuz. I have embarked on this perfect mic mission and come across Shannon Rhoades of Mic Rehab | Keeping the classic microphones alive by restoring capsules with today's new technology.

He has been curbing my mic jones lately and is currently working on mics in the vein of a 47 and 269 as we speak. As great as his work is that soyuz is for lack of a better word...cute. Serious eye candy!

Quote:
A lot of time has passed since I was posting in this thread. I managed to do a shootout of top of the line mint condition vintage mics at a world class studio. There was a Neumann U47, M49 and U67, my Blackspade UM17R and the Soyuz 0-19 FET. The U47 was perfection itself, the M49 interesting, but too thin for my taste, the Blackspade was very very close to the U47, so much so, that with some expert tweaking might be indistinguishable, the surprise was the Soyuz. I didn't have their 0-17 tube version, which is a monster, but the 0-19 FET was incredibly good, considering the competition, that's saying something. It turned out that for my voice, the U67 was the best fit, just gigantic, and detailed too. You could feel more of the natural ambience of the room as well. The Soyuz has a K67 style capsule, so it was close to the U67 in vibe. So, if you don't have $10,000 - $15,000 for the vintage mic, the Soyuz is remarkable, and the 0-17 tube version (I know from having it for a week), competes neck and neck with anything, including the 47 and 67.
Old 20th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The U47 was perfection itself, the M49 interesting, but too thin for my taste, the Blackspade was very very close to the U47, so much so, that with some expert tweaking might be indistinguishable
Yep, the UM17 comes closer to the U47 than the M49 spectrum...has a bit more of that low end beef.

There is a kind of lore that it's closer to an M49, and I think it may technically be circuit wise, but the transformer, grille, and incidentals point it more towards the U47.
Old 20th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Soyuz mic design might not be to everyone's taste, but when it's in your hand and right in front of you, it's a class piece. You're right toledo3, as Blackspade tweaked the design of the UM17B/R, they did in fact get closer to the U47 tone than the M49.

Twenty Staxx, Shannon is a friend, and will go the extra mile every time to get things right for you! If you can swing it, the Soyuz 0-17 hangs with the best there is. You could easily choose it over any vintage Neumann if you were just listening. It's good to have a real choice now. Not another clone, but a new great high end mic that is in the direction of a classic like the U67, but has it's own sound. Relative to the other mics, it's affordable, but obviously priced for professional uses.
πŸ“ Reply