Quantcast
Api 7800, internal picture - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Api 7800, internal picture
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Api 7800, internal picture

I wanted to share this picture of the inside of my api 7800, I searched the net and could not find an internal shot so here it is.

Although discontinued I was able to purchase this unit brand spanking new on 03-09-2014, with the full warranty, the opamps on the inside are stamped may 2012.

I run 3-8200's with this unit for a total of 24 channels, I also have the meter module, its a great set up sounds really good. I was using the 8200A before I got this master module. That sounds great as well.

I purchased a used 7800 from eBay last week and it was really messed up half the routing was not working / intermittent. Someone did a shotty job at trying to mod it, luckily enough I was able to return it and grab this one.

That's a whole lot of opamps and transformers.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
pic?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
iPhone load error

Attachment didn't work with last post. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Api 7800, internal picture-image_1596.jpg   Api 7800, internal picture-image_1188.jpg  
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is the two bus mix the same as the 8200a - two transformers and two 2520's ?

Are all the extra transformers and op amps for the the other features
in the 7800 ?
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pretty much yes, accept you can patch in a stereo compressor/eq etc... Plus you have more features like an output fader, but yes

2-2623 output transformers & 2-2520 opamps for the 2-buss monitor out,

2-2623 output transformers & 2-2520 opamps for the 2-track out,

4-2623 output transformers & 4-2520 opamps for aux's 1-4

4-2623 output transformers & 4-2520 opamps for buss 1-4,

The 8200a share only 2-2623 output transformers & 2- 2520 opamps for all the outs, I also have a picture of the inside of the 8200a I can post as well.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Did you void your warranty by opening up your brand new device?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pretty sloppy guts for being entirely PCB. Don't get me wrong, I love API & the sound dearly. But this isn't the first time I've seen their equipment messy from a build-out standpoint.

Brad Dollar
San Francisco Producer Engineer Mixer
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim ➑️
Did you void your warranty by opening up your brand new device?
Opening the lid of a piece of API gear will not void your warranty - we are proud of the 'guts' of our gear.

THIS, however, WILL void your warranty!
Attached Thumbnails
Api 7800, internal picture-22096721.jpg  
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Api

I always look inside all my gear, I want to make sure no one swapped out my real opamps for some cheap clone they made for $12., plus I like to know what's going on, if I didn't pop open the used one I purchased from eBay a week ago I would of never seen whats in picture below, tape in on the inside with writing stating the malfunctions, as well as a wire soldered across the pcb, not from the factory. Always check your gear. The seller refunded my money and I jumped on the new one, right away. If popping a lid and looking inside a piece of gear I owned voided a warranty I would not deal with the company. Now I understand modding a piece will void a warranty and I can't blame them for that.

I disagree with this being sloppy work, api fit a hell of a lot in a 1u space, this unit is very cool and a pleasure to mix with, it's the master section of an api console packed with tons transformers & opamps in one rack space, I went from a 6 foot Neotek 24x8 to the api DSM system. I saved myself a lot of space, and sonically improved my studio with my new setup. The DSM sounds super clear & punchy, defined, with a lot of impact. Really good for Rock N Roll (CRUNCH). The 8200a is really cool aswell its just a more stripped down version, but a sound improvement for sure over ITB mixes I've compared.

The picture below is why you should always check your gear when purchased used, When your dropping serious cash on gear it's good to know what your getting.
Attached Thumbnails
Api 7800, internal picture-image_6078.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply