Metal drum samples - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metal drum samples
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Metal drum samples

Hi all,

I'm producing a metal band, which is my first, and the guys sent me a link to a band they like, which is Five Finger Death Punch. The drums/samples on this song sound markedly different than my Slate-replaced drum samples. They almost have a drum module kind of sound, like an Alesis D4 kind of thing... almost like electronic drums, rather than samples of real drums. I can't locate anything quite like this in my Slate collection.

Anyone have any idea of what the metal guys are doing these days in major productions to get "modern" metal drum sounds?

Any thoughts, discussions are welcomed!
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A lot of them are stacking more than one sample, and processing the crap out of them! Some are stacking with drum machine snares/kicks for extra snap or punch... All the new metal mixes I have heard lately sound very unnatural to me, it's what they're going for (I hope).
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistervenable ➑️
A lot of them are stacking more than one sample, and processing the crap out of them! Some are stacking with drum machine snares/kicks for extra snap or punch... All the new metal mixes I have heard lately sound very unnatural to me, it's what they're going for (I hope).
Yes, I agree... They sound very unnatural... But in many cases... Really punchy and powerful.

Any specifics of what folks are doing?
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
XLN Audio - Addictive Drums

Addictive Drums with the Metal Drum Packs. Basically a staple for creating drum ghost tracks and writing drum parts but sometimes used for production, pretty cheap as well with cool features and effects to give them that "human" feel
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty999 ➑️
XLN Audio - Addictive Drums

Addictive Drums with the Metal Drum Packs. Basically a staple for creating drum ghost tracks and writing drum parts but sometimes used for production, pretty cheap as well with cool features and effects to give them that "human" feel
Thanks for the suggestion...

I've heard of these guys a bunch of times, but never checked them out.

It's unclear on their website if I could use AD in the way I need. I'll need the samples to be replacement tools for existing tracks, similar to Slate Trigger, which is what I currently use. Can AD be used as such? I do like their product.
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly ➑️
Thanks for the suggestion...

I've heard of these guys a bunch of times, but never checked them out.

It's unclear on their website if I could use AD in the way I need. I'll need the samples to be replacement tools for existing tracks, similar to Slate Trigger, which is what I currently use. Can AD be used as such? I do like their product.
Not really sure what slate trigger does, I'm guessing drum replacement? Well if there is a way to trigger MIDI then you could easily use this VST as your MIDI device to trigger the drums.

The alternative is to just dig around forums for free or paid for metal drum sample packs

006 Drum Pack - Free Sample Pack - Ultimate Metal Forum

And set them up in a trigger
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
These may not be what you are looking for , but check out the demos , I must say I still love the sound of the Alesis D4 ! i would love to know what was done to get those kicks , gear , eq , mics etc . Drum samples & kits | Professional heavy metal drum samples.
Old 14th March 2014

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Didn't Alesis hire the Drum Doctor to do their sounds around that time? I like some Alesis sounds - I started with an HR16 in the 80's and currently have a DM10. Very underrated box in my opinion, largely because the presets totally suck. You can stack two drum samples and apply cheap FX, but that doesn't mean you have to all the time - which is why the presents suck badly. But if you dig into editing it, the raw samples are really great. With external FX they can be amazing - and if you intent to use some analog saturation FX then it doesn't matter greatly that it lacks digital i/o. Then again - soft samplers with good samples can be amazing too, with the right samples.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I specialize in this kind of stuff. Feel free to check out all the drum samples I've got in the store. Most of the Sneap forum guys swear by them.
Home / VR Musicgroup
VR Music Group | Audio Production Services
πŸ“ Reply