The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 896 - time to move on?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
MOTU 896 - time to move on?

hi,

i was hoping to get some opinions on the following situation:

1. i was on the verge of purchasing a Ferrofish A16 to connect to my 896 mk1, and 896HD for a grand total of 32 i/o analog when the 896 stopped connecting to the mac. now, the UK MOTU dealer has stopped servicing these machines altogether so apparently i can't have it fixed.

other than not connecting to the computer it appears to fine, so to speak, i have tried the "hard reset" with the voltage switch and left it off for several days to no avail. i've also tried reinstalling the drivers (you never know) but naturally nothing happened.

any ideas on how i can get it fixed or who i can send it to?

i remember reading a tutorial somewhere on the internet on how to change the FW sockets or something but i just can't seem to find it anymore.

2. any tips on what to get to replace the 896 in the very probable case that i can't do anything to fix it? i'd like to stay on the good side of Β£1000 including the ferrofish.

i'm kinda fond/accustomed to the sound of MOTU and i could probably pick up another 896HD second hand for around Β£250 but now i'm afraid i'd have to throw it out if it fails.

any insights would be great.

cheers.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
These guys... MOTU Mods :: Black Lion Audio

I had my Motu 896HD modded by Black Lion Audio a few years back and it was easily the most "bang for my buck" I've ever experienced. If you like the way it sounds now you'll be amazed at how clear and wide everything sounds when played back through this and recorded through the 896 after their mod. Puts it in the range of much more high end and much more expensive converters. The mod is around 350 and I recommend getting their clock too for another $350. (My mod was $550 and included a clock mod, but now they just sell you the one they make which is great.) They would likely repair it on the way to modding it, but I don't think they're in the business of just repairs. Nice guys too... very easy to get questions answered etc...
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellotronic ➑️
These guys... MOTU Mods :: Black Lion Audio

I had my Motu 896HD modded by Black Lion Audio a few years back and it was easily the most "bang for my buck" I've ever experienced. If you like the way it sounds now you'll be amazed at how clear and wide everything sounds when played back through this and recorded through the 896 after their mod. Puts it in the range of much more high end and much more expensive converters. The mod is around 350 and I recommend getting their clock too for another $350. (My mod was $550 and included a clock mod, but now they just sell you the one they make which is great.) They would likely repair it on the way to modding it, but I don't think they're in the business of just repairs. Nice guys too... very easy to get questions answered etc...
that's a vey interesting idea! but they in the US right? gotta see how much it would be for a round trip to the US and back though. i'm already clocked by a big-ben so just the converters... and the fix! (otherwise i'd have a much better sounding door stop than i have now.)

cheers.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Maybe an RME Fireface 800 and the Ferrofish A16AE?
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
One of my preamp channels on my 896 quit working, and a friend of mine had both FW ports on his 896 go out. These units aren't the most durable over time, but fortunately the MOTU service department will repair and/or send you a replacement (refurbished) unit for around $100.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Had an 828 where the firewire chip said goodbye - sadly MOTU wouldn't just fix the FW chip, but just replace the board (with the BLA mod and new clock) - so IF you have it fixed by MOTU get it to BLA after that... or maybe ask BLA if they could dig into this but if I'm not mistaken, they stay off things that aren't in their mod. After that I got a RME (on saturday afternoon in the middle of a session, after the shop was closed - talk about customer service! Hurray for real music stores) and never looked back. The sound of the RME was as the MOTU with the BLA mod ;-) and the totalmix software is a dream for complicated (or dead easy) headphone mixes. Anyway, whatever you get, first make sure it has good drivers that go well with your machine.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i'm having no luck finding a repair for the 896. you wouldn't believe how many reports i've found about MOTU and FW problems... mmmph.. the RME seems well respected around these parts.. let's see how much it goes for 2nd hand...
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Have you called MOTU support or tried submitting a help ticket on their website?
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Snap ➑️
Have you called MOTU support or tried submitting a help ticket on their website?
no. i just asked the UK dealer. might be worth a shot. cheers.
πŸ“ Reply