Quantcast
Compressor 'Pumping' with the Kick... Which instruments go to the compressed bus? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Compressor 'Pumping' with the Kick... Which instruments go to the compressed bus?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Compressor 'Pumping' with the Kick... Which instruments go to the compressed bus?

I wouldn't think you'd want the lead vocal to pump so no pumping compression on the master/stereo bus correct?

You would want the drums (overheads especially) to have the pumping effect correct?

I don't think I usually hear the other instruments (guitar, bass, keys) having this effect but I'm not sure here.

I realize there are no rules but for those who have some rules or heard certain standards followed, I'm curious. Obviously there are some rules or the tuning of an orchestra could pass as the rest of the performance. So obviously we all know what we think is music and what's not. Curious to hear some opinions here.

I just built an 1176 and I'm considering building a GSSL to cover drum bus and or stereo mix.

I just downloaded the DC8C compressor, I've got a feeling I'm going to like that. But I still like hardware where I can get it. I think ears can hear (although plugins are pretty darn good these days). I'm sure plugins vs hardware debates are the least of my worries, but it all adds up. I definitely appreciate good tone when I hear it.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I typically sidechain my kick to my bass, to stop infighting between frequencies, but that's not always a necessity - generally depends on the mix, at least for me.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I'll have to try that. I've never sidechained bass guitar. I suppose I could also sidechain the entire drum bus to a 4 beat drum machine kick on parts where the pumping is supposed to happen and then just use another compressor as normal on top of that.
๐Ÿ“ Reply