Quantcast
Tube Tech Volume issue - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube Tech Volume issue
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Tube Tech Volume issue

Ok I have a Tube Tech CL-2A and I love it! But I am having an issue and was wondering if anyone knew or might know what the issue is. Ok what happens is I have to really put a super loud signal into the compressor to get the needle to move even at High compression or threshold levels. I have ran bass, drums, synths, vox etc though it and it is like the output level is fine it even peaks! But for some reason it is as if the level of the input of the tube tech is not hot enough. Like for example a synth sound that normally hits anywhere from -6 to 0 db barely even compresses or makes the needle move unless I turn up the threshold and ration full blast. Do I need a preamp in front of it? Is this common for compressors when running otb from itb? I will admit the vocals do manage to get better signal but I do have to kind of give my pre amp a hot signal. I only have a gap pre 73 so I only use a pre amp with the compressor when cutting vocals but not when I run my synth/bass/drum wavs out the box into the compressor and back into the interface. Once again I get a perfectly fine level going back into my DAW just not a good signal going into the compressor even when cranking db. I hope I am explaining this clearly lol.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Maybe I just need a pre amp or calibrate the meter? could that be the issue?
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Does anyone know? Ok I am using mogami cables. From my Steinberg ur44 interface outputs using mogami gold trs to male xlr into the tube tech cl2a and out of the cl2a with mogami gold xlr cables back into the Steinberg ur44 interface. The daw I am using is Sonar X2. Sorry I am just so new at all this but can there be significant differences in db level using different xlr cables? I get a good level when I record vocals though. I use a Neumann TLM 102 into a Golden Age Pre Amp 73 MK2 into the cl2a into the interface. I only have one gap pre 73 so I can't use it when I go otb unless I were to use it in mono but all the instruments I run otb are synths in stereo. So should I just buy another GAP Pre 73? Or does anyone know if I could just buy different cables and that might bring the db level where it needs to be? Thanks!
๐Ÿ“ Reply