Quantcast
RME Fireface UCX pres and converters... should I upgrade? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Fireface UCX pres and converters... should I upgrade?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
RME Fireface UCX pres and converters... should I upgrade?

Hi guys,

I'm a solo singer-songwriter working on home recording in preparation for a single release. I'm going for a high end warm sound and willing to spend the $ to achieve it. A friend of mine who recorded a great single with her RME Fireface UXC recommended it to me and so I've been working with it and getting ok results. However, her music is electronic + vocals where as mine is folk/country/indie so whilst I liked the end result of her track, suitable vocals for the genre I'm wondering if for me, if I'm going to need extra gear or if I should focus more on microphone upgrades and techniques. If anyone knows of any tracks recorded just with the RME UCX (as in no additional converters or mic pres) the rest just achieved through great mics and software plug ins.... I'd be really keen to hear those tracks. Is it possible to achieve a high end sound this way or am I dreaming? The unit was sold to me on the basis that it has world class converters and mic pres on par with dedicated high end units. Is this rubbish? This is my friends track... and below that a demo of mine, this is where I'm at.

https://soundcloud.com/beatrice-musi...autiful-mind-1

https://soundcloud.com/rachael-byrne...ack-fat-lashes

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds good. I think you will see the biggest difference by upgrading the mic and maybe finding a cool character compressor. Compressing on the way in can really help in my opinion as long as you don't totally kill the dynamics. But that too can be cool as well depending on the sound you're going for. You can push an analog compressor way harder than plug ins. I like to get the vibe on the way in then use plug ins to tweak the last bit.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepRedBells ➡️
Hi guys,

I'm a solo singer-songwriter working on home recording in preparation for a single release. I'm going for a high end warm sound and willing to spend the $ to achieve it. A friend of mine who recorded a great single with her RME Fireface UXC recommended it to me and so I've been working with it and getting ok results. However, her music is electronic + vocals where as mine is folk/country/indie so whilst I liked the end result of her track, suitable vocals for the genre I'm wondering if for me, if I'm going to need extra gear or if I should focus more on microphone upgrades and techniques. If anyone knows of any tracks recorded just with the RME UCX (as in no additional converters or mic pres) the rest just achieved through great mics and software plug ins.... I'd be really keen to hear those tracks. Is it possible to achieve a high end sound this way or am I dreaming? The unit was sold to me on the basis that it has world class converters and mic pres on par with dedicated high end units. Is this rubbish? This is my friends track... and below that a demo of mine, this is where I'm at.

https://soundcloud.com/beatrice-musi...autiful-mind-1

https://soundcloud.com/rachael-byrne...ack-fat-lashes

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.
The RME UFX/UCX interfaces are really as good as it can get in this price realm. I recently felt I needed to upgrade our interface to ensure we have the best available conversion and interface combo.
Long story short, I returned the latency prone Prism Titan and am currently looking for another UFX.

The RME just ticks alot of boxes, makes composing and arranging with real time synths and sims completely stress free.

The titan is a really cool looking box with horrible driver designs and is best suited for folks who don't input live. I was shocked to find out such great conversion comes at a sacrifice and detriment to workflow for, example, real humans playing real music. This box is not ready for real time ain't judging by the Prism attitude about it, that ain't gonna change.
So let down.

I had always been able to rely upon our UFX, not once did it fail to do it's job as described and prescribed.
The PrismSound titan just upset workflow and could never stabilise under a load.
I reckon the software is what kills it, but.in the RME side of things, their drivers provide seamless work flow, rarely drawing attention to itself. Other than to simply be rock solid.
Tried a few other of the current latest offerings and all failed to match the UFX/UCX performance and ability across the board. Some pricier units did "this" well or "that " well, but none ticked the boxes vital to the composing arranging mixing mastering musicians who rely on being able to translate music in real time.

Go get your ucx and know you're onto a very solid platform that will just let you flow when it matters most, which is, all of the time. Happy for you man :-)

be well
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
thanks for your thoughts guys. That's disappointing about the converter but good to hear about the reliability of RME. (are you getting paid to say that lol)
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwayne ➡️
Sounds good. I think you will see the biggest difference by upgrading the mic and maybe finding a cool character compressor. Compressing on the way in can really help in my opinion as long as you don't totally kill the dynamics. But that too can be cool as well depending on the sound you're going for. You can push an analog compressor way harder than plug ins. I like to get the vibe on the way in then use plug ins to tweak the last bit.
Hey thanks for that.. do you have any links to your recordings? I check them out
Old 11th March 2014
Deleted 1846071
I have to agree with the above. The UCX pres are pretty good, the character is in the mic. You probably want something like a Pearlman TM-1, a U47 style which has loads of character and was used on countless classic records. That's where the "sound" is.

I second the advice to get a compressor too. If you are recording yourself you don't want to fiddle with settings too much, so get something that is fairly set and forget.

For tons of character (and $3k) there is the Retro Sta Level. For less dough you can get an Anamod 660, which sounds like a Fairchild, but much cheaper, in the $1000 range. Also check out Chandler stuff like the Germanium compressor.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
thanks for your thoughts guys. That's disappointing about the converter but good to hear about the reliability of RME. (are you getting paid to say that lol)
No man, no pay. Just a tough arse lesson I would not want to see another go through.
The RME pays it's own way.
Be well
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
... If anyone knows of any tracks recorded just with the RME UCX (as in no additional converters or mic pres) the rest just achieved through great mics and software plug ins.... I'd be really keen to hear those tracks.
Hi ! I've got a RME UCX, and I love it.
I recorded this EP using it as main pre's and a few more tascam units as utility pre's. The band was tracked live using the 8 analog channels of the RME. And some overdubs were made later using the UCX pres.
The pres are really clean and nice to me, if you want warm you may have to achieve it later.

Here's the single of the album:

The full album (mastered for Itunes):
https://itunes.apple.com/ar/album/li...ep/id775185635
or
wav (free): hasdee.com Lightly Landed EP - Español

I would recommend it to anyone. It's ease of use and sound quality will become your friends. And you get DIGICheck free =)

Good luck!
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounding good, tk...
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The RME will not in any way prevent you from making a great-sounding album. Since you're into indie folk I'll point out that The Shins' early albums were made with far worse gear than what you already have.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk_nacho ➡️
I recorded this EP using it as main pre's and a few more tascam units as utility pre's. The band was tracked live using the 8 analog channels of the RME. And some overdubs were made later using the UCX pres.
The pres are really clean and nice to me, if you want warm you may have to achieve it later.

Here's the single of the album:

The full album (mastered for Itunes):
https://itunes.apple.com/ar/album/li...ep/id775185635
or
wav (free): hasdee.com Lightly Landed EP - Español

I would recommend it to anyone. It's ease of use and sound quality will become your friends. And you get DIGICheck free =)

Good luck!
Excellent work man. Did you do your summing ITB?
For my tastes, the 8816 or VintageMaker 475 amps both pair up nicely with UFX/UCX.

I REALLY ENJOYED HEARING THIS! :-)
I like the chilly vibe the mix projects, a wanton, longing vibe woven into a natural building tension, great release. Thank you for sharing.
Some of those snare placements are really grabbing. A round of cyber applause man,
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Really cool stuff TK, sounds awesome.

@OP, the RME boxes are great. On par with BLA if you ask me, and ADAC is something I really listen for FWIW. No reason why an RME interface wouldn't serve you faithfully.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear
Just a quick thought ( I own the UCX as well) if you are going to use outboard compression, the UCX doesn't have inserts. So you would have to either go through an external mic preamp, into the comp, then into the UCX, or you will have to re amp the track in some fashion.

I use external preamps with the UCX. I find its reliability and the little remote some of its best features.

I had a year off due to shoulder surgery which went side ways, as soon as I could get my arm across my guitar, I made an EP

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bl...ep/id794347120

This is all just acoustic guitar and voice, no things like auto tune.

I think the OP will find this interesting as its using the UCX as conversion only.

The vocal chain was Neumann U87, BAE1073 DMP, Drip LA2A.

The acoustic guitar was a Maton Messiah, Neumann KM84, JLM Audio TG500 mic preamp.

The reverb is the RELAB reverb.

There really isn't too much going on in mixing at all.

That should give you at least something to hear thats external gear (of really good quality) running into the UCX

cheers

Wiz

Last edited by Wiz_Oz; 12th March 2014 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey JulianFernandez, GeneHall and TurboJets, thank you so much for your great comments guys!! Really appreciate your kind words, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall ➡️
Excellent work man. Did you do your summing ITB?
The mixes were done and summed ITB on Harrison Mixbus. An extra detail is that all the plugins used were freeware.

Thanks again for listening!

Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey JulianFernandez, GeneHall and TurboJets, thank you so much for your great comments guys!! Really appreciate your kind words, thanks!

The mixes were done and summed ITB on Harrison Mixbus. An extra detail is that all the plugins used were freeware.

Thanks again for listening!

The Harrison Mixbus looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the tip TK
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey thanks for that.. do you have any links to your recordings? I check them out
You're welcome. You can listen to some previews of my ep at my site.

Roll Down the River EP | John W Tuggle
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I recorded this EP using it as main pre's and a few more tascam units as utility pre's.

Good luck!
Sounds great TK thanks heaps for sharing all that
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz ➡️
I have to agree with the above. The UCX pres are pretty good, the character is in the mic. You probably want something like a Pearlman TM-1, a U47 style which has loads of character and was used on countless classic records. That's where the "sound" is.

I second the advice to get a compressor too. If you are recording yourself you don't want to fiddle with settings too much, so get something that is fairly set and forget.

For tons of character (and $3k) there is the Retro Sta Level. For less dough you can get an Anamod 660, which sounds like a Fairchild, but much cheaper, in the $1000 range. Also check out Chandler stuff like the Germanium compressor.
Yo thanks for this. I rented a Wagner ($9000 u47 clone made by a famous neuman veteran) and yes indeen the character whas amazing, vintage and obvious (imho). but with the the mic going into the RME then my lap top I'm still not getting the warmth I was after. I think there's still a missing link for me it might just be one of those units you have mentioned above to take me over the line. thanks
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz ➡️
Just a quick thought ( I own the UCX as well) if you are going to use outboard compression, the UCX doesn't have inserts. So you would have to either go through an external mic preamp, into the comp, then into the UCX, or you will have to re amp the track in some fashion.

I use external preamps with the UCX. I find its reliability and the little remote some of its best features.

I had a year off due to shoulder surgery which went side ways, as soon as I could get my arm across my guitar, I made an EP

That should give you at least something to hear thats external gear (of really good quality) running into the UCX

cheers

Wiz
good info thank you and will check out those tunes
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
what's your home studio set up john.. you're EP sounds great. its got that specail warmth I'm after. what is the secret?????
Deleted 1846071
Quote:
Yo thanks for this. I rented a Wagner ($9000 u47 clone made by a famous neuman veteran) and yes indeen the character whas amazing, vintage and obvious (imho). but with the the mic going into the RME then my lap top I'm still not getting the warmth I was after. I think there's still a missing link for me it might just be one of those units you have mentioned above to take me over the line. thanks
If you can swing that kind of money, then you should get an external pre after all. Try a BAE 1073 or a Mercury M72, into a Mercury 66, and throw a Fatso in there for kicks. Another option is the UA 6176, which is what Adele sang into for Rolling in the Deep.

Really what you want is harmonic distortion, and those will give it to you while sounding very high end. If budget is more of a consideration, then look into the AWTAC or the CAPI V28, which include circuitry similar to what you would find in a console -- this makes the sound even thicker. Lots of options if you want to go this route.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz ➡️

This is all just acoustic guitar and voice, no things like auto tune.

I think the OP will find this interesting as its using the UCX as conversion only.

The vocal chain was Neumann U87, BAE1073 DMP, Drip LA2A.

The acoustic guitar was a Maton Messiah, Neumann KM84, JLM Audio TG500 mic preamp.

The reverb is the RELAB reverb.

There really isn't too much going on in mixing at all.

cheers

Wiz
How's the ReLab verb? Is this the Lexi replica?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall ➡️
How's the ReLab verb? Is this the Lexi replica?
To me , its simply outstanding.

cheers

Wiz
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
what's your home studio set up john.. you're EP sounds great. its got that specail warmth I'm after. what is the secret?????
Thanks! My setup is minimal but the main recording pieces that give character to me are the API A2D and the A Designs Nail Compressor.

Lots of guitars and a 66 Vibrolux give me the guitar tone I need. AEA R84 and a 57 sound sweet together.
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks! My setup is minimal but the main recording pieces that give character to me are the API A2D and the A Designs Nail Compressor.

Lots of guitars and a 66 Vibrolux give me the guitar tone I need. AEA R84 and a 57 sound sweet together.
Good stuff, man! Where did you recorded the drums?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez ➡️
Good stuff, man! Where did you recorded the drums?
Thanks! I recorded them with Marty at 800 East in Atl.

800east.com
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The UFX is a bullet proof transparent interface that will never get in your way. I have 3 Peluso tube mics (P2247, P67 & P12) that are great replicas of the vintage German mics and I have found the UA 4-710d 4 channel pre to be a very good pre with internal limiting and 1176 comps available for each channel. The UFX will accommodate 8 TRS direct inputs plus it's own 4 pre channels giving you 12 channels of simultaneous input in the event you need that many. I also have an ADL600 tube pre and some other press that offer various color that can be appropriate for some recordings. I have been recording Bluegrass and acoustic Americana music for more than 40 years and 10 years ago when I decided to abandon console based pres in favor of my present work flow the new options for matching need with flexible choices were a real eye opener. The best start into this protocol is the RME UFX.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks! I recorded them with Marty at 800 East in Atl.

800east.com
Cool! Who´s the drummer?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez ➡️
Cool! Who´s the drummer?
That is my old bandmate Carlton Owens. Here's my short write up on the session with a video. Recording Drums and Bass for the EP - Roll Down the River |

Old 17th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well i don't know how to help you. All i know is i dont like this fireface ufx. Sorry but i just dont think its good enough
📝 Reply