Converters 8x8 for £1500? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Converters 8x8 for £1500?
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Converters 8x8 for £1500?

Hi all,
looking for some new converters haven't had any response in the gear part of the forum so i though i'd post here.

I have around £1500 to spend, i would like 8 ins and 8 outs.

Was looking at a used apogee ad16x & da16x system, then maybe a big ben when i can afford it? Or maybe a rosetta 800, I'm just bothered about these as they are old, I currently use a Mac Pro tower so PCI cards are fine for time being but I might make the move to a Mac Pro cylinder in the near future so would probably have to be thunderbolt or similar. what would you guys recommend?

Cheers

Jake
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I was making a list myself just the other day:
  • RME ADI-8 DS mkIII $2200
  • RME ADI-8 QS $3000
  • Mytek 8x192 $3100
  • Lavry 4496 modular (does not do 8x8) $3100+
  • Apogee Symphony 8x8 $3000
  • Metric Halo LIO-8 $3000
  • DAD AX24 ???
  • Prism Dream ADA $10,000
  • Apogee Rosetta 800 legacy $1300
  • Lucid legacy ???
I wouldn't be bothered by 'old.' The Apogee stuff is from the pinnacle of digital audio era. I wouldn't bother with the Big Ben either.

You mention PCI--looking for converters vs an interface are two very different things. I would definitely not buy an old interface.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew ➡️
I was making a list myself just the other day:
  • RME ADI-8 DS mkIII $2200
  • RME ADI-8 QS $3000
  • Mytek 8x192 $3100
  • Lavry 4496 modular (does not do 8x8) $3100+
  • Apogee Symphony 8x8 $3000
  • Metric Halo LIO-8 $3000
  • DAD AX24 ???
  • Prism Dream ADA $10,000
  • Apogee Rosetta 800 legacy $1300
  • Lucid legacy ???
I wouldn't be bothered by 'old.' The Apogee stuff is from the pinnacle of digital audio era. I wouldn't bother with the Big Ben either.

You mention PCI--looking for converters vs an interface are two very different things. I would definitely not buy an old interface.
Yeah bit unsure what to get was thinking maybe a UAD Apollo but again it's more an interface than a converter, when I said pci I meant like the symphony cards that interface the apogee stuff not an actual pci interface if you get what I mean, all the ones you listed are probably a tad out my price range.

Thanks
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really like the lucid 88192 for 8in8out ADAT. kind of ballpark quality to my apogee da16x for dac, but I use the lucid in preference to the apogee for mastering where I don't need so many outputs. pretty sure it has a slightly lower noise floor than the apogee in my setup.

I use the c777 bigben clock from the apogee as master clock although I cant really say this sounds better than the lucid clocking without going and testing. I can't remember thinking, wow, the lucid sounds so much better when I got the apogee and started clocking with it instead of the lucid.

you would obviously need a pc ADAT interface aswell, but the lucid itself can be had for well under £1500 these days.
📝 Reply