Quantcast
Tannoy Reveal 802 Electronic Noise Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tannoy Reveal 802 Electronic Noise Question
Old 9th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Tannoy Reveal 802 Electronic Noise Question

I just purchased a pair of Reveal 802s and they sound great. I have a noise question though I would like to run by people.

I have a pair of older Passive Tannoy Reveal monitors (Red-faced monitors - http://www.tannoystudio.com/media/11..._series-4-.pdf.) When I turn them on, I hear no noise coming from them at all.

I just received the pair of Active Reveal 802 monitors. When I turn them on, I hear a subtle electronic noise coming from them when I put my ear near them. This occurs whether the 802 volume is set to low or high even with no audio cables even connected. The 802 is plugged into the same electrical source as the older Reveal speakers and is routed through a Furman 8 + 1 Power Conditioner. The noise is present even if they are plugged directly into an outlet. Also, the Voltage Select is set to the correct setting. This doesn't sound like a louder ground noise which I have heard. I had that before and had it corrected. In the past I had an electrician fix that in my studio and recommend the Furman for additional protection. This created a good ground and noise free studio.

Is it normal for there to be a subtle, soft electronic noise coming from Active speakers such as the 802s when they are turned on or should they be completely noise free? Is this a sign of a problem that should be addressed or does it sound like a typical Active 100W speaker issue? Please advise.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificm ➡️
I just purchased a pair of Reveal 802s and they sound great. I have a noise question though I would like to run by people.

I have a pair of older Passive Tannoy Reveal monitors (Red-faced monitors - http://www.tannoystudio.com/media/11..._series-4-.pdf.) When I turn them on, I hear no noise coming from them at all.

I just received the pair of Active Reveal 802 monitors. When I turn them on, I hear a subtle electronic noise coming from them when I put my ear near them. This occurs whether the 802 volume is set to low or high even with no audio cables even connected. The 802 is plugged into the same electrical source as the older Reveal speakers and is routed through a Furman 8 + 1 Power Conditioner. The noise is present even if they are plugged directly into an outlet. Also, the Voltage Select is set to the correct setting. This doesn't sound like a louder ground noise which I have heard. I had that before and had it corrected. In the past I had an electrician fix that in my studio and recommend the Furman for additional protection. This created a good ground and noise free studio.

Is it normal for there to be a subtle, soft electronic noise coming from Active speakers such as the 802s when they are turned on or should they be completely noise free? Is this a sign of a problem that should be addressed or does it sound like a typical Active 100W speaker issue? Please advise.
Have a look at this thread I started recently. Is that what you're talking about?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...-hiss-etc.html
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had the active version of your passive Tannoy Reveals. I had a very minor noise issue with those. It just sounded ungrounded, but very faint, bothersome enough to be annoying, not enough to worry about.

I bought mine used so I don't want to draw a conclusion that it's problematic with Tannoy active monitors. However, both did the exact same thing and 2 other sets did not, using all the same cabling. I don't think that type of noise would come from abuse, a bad repair maybe but the sound matched so well from each speaker that I was confident it was a problem with those speakers. I found a few others with the same problem, many more that didn't. I personally learned to live with it. Sorry, just sharing my experience, I never found a resolution to it.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I posted in another thread about my 502s having the same noise. It's incredibly annoying, and it appears it's just a characteristic of monitors, which Tannoy doesn't see as a problem—yet. I'm curious as why they made this new series ungrounded, although I'm not sure that's the necessarily the cause. I hope they offer a solution. Hiss is fine and expected; this electronic noise, however, is bound to make me hate an otherwise great pair of monitors.
Old 5th May 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have had the same problem with most newer active studio monitors regarding this hiss AND electronic noise. Not with my old 90's Tannoy Reveal active.

Now consider the following, which I have had more than one to agree with me:

Back in the 90's (when the earlier nearfield monitors where made) they were placed alongside large huge CRT monitors which emitted magnetism on and into anything that was placed beside them. Thus, all manufactureres created SHIELDED enclosures and speakers. Now, if they weren't shielded, both speaker could "leak" onto CRT screens and cause "fauréx" effects or magnetic bubbles on the screen. Also, CRT could leak into the speaker, not exactly whacking the frequencies but induce regular white noise, no matter how little.

TODAY : No one makes shielded nearfield monitors any more! Since we have LCD screens, flat screens they emit nothing. And they react from nothing magnetic that stands next to them.

THUS: Monitors are more prone to pick up stray noises today, from everything else, say cell phones, cell phones antennas or stations placed on top of buildings several kilometers (miles) away! The type of noise in the air, is different from the past, since it is wildly built up and expanded in all areas, the airwaves are more and more filled with different kind of noise. Even the noise from vintage single coil pickups in electric guitars sounds different than it did in the 60's.

Now, this I have no trouble with if you believe or not, but I had to return a set of CHRIS PELONIS monitor speakers due to this. They are high end, filled with Tannoy coaxial speakers, but are NOT active, and NOT shielded. So I sat them up along my computer. Now, when just turning them on, not even any wire connected, they sounded off - continuosly - just like when you get a phone call coming in to you cell phone placed in the vincinity of any speaker! That repeated "dutt-dutt-dutt" combined with all strange noises too.

Now: When moving the speakers down on the floor, away from window, or inwards, it decreased. IT DISAPPEARED TOTALLY first when I put down the venetian blinds in the windows, and since those are of metal, it was a shield for anything coming from outside! Looking out. 300 meters from my building is a crammed antenna with all things cellular and digital TV, internet networks, and whatever, placed on top of 10 store building. Straight line. I've checked this, and the signal and noise should be "best" within a 2-300 meter parabolic range from that station, just where I live. Now, I have never ever had any problem with my cell phone's signal!

Putting the old - inferior Tannoy Reveal - monitors back remedied this problem totally (again, it wasn't there before the new ones). So SHIELDED speaker enclosures may buck some, if not most of, the "new" stray noises that are cloggin up our airwaves these days. Or "electronic noise" as asknone9 put it. I mailed the Danish sole agent for Pelonis, and they said it wasn't the first time they've heard about this. I can't relocate the studio room, or angle them to get away with, the only thing is to have the blinds down like if it was in the middle of the night. Ok ok...I've heard you can make better mixes with lights out... but ..this is too far.

Last edited by Honch; 6th May 2014 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: spell check
Old 5th May 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So what I meant is:

1. Try the venetian blinds thing first, or move them away from other things that you know can produce signals. BlueTooth, IR, your local wireless routers. See if the noise is less.

2. Manufacturers should go back to making them shielded again. All of'em really.

3. Test for all monitors. Active and passive: If they're shielded (like the old way) they are most likely totally silent too. Actives, as well as passives. If they're not shielded, they produce more hiss and electronic noise, than their unshielded equivalents. Now check the manual and specs for this, but no one lists these specs anymore, since it has turned unimportant for manufacturers ...THEY THINK. I have had troubles with a small EBS combo bass amp too. Outrageous electronic noise, picked up and amplified. Since they put up that antenna some 2 years back.
Old 27th May 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello,

I wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. Since I was new to active speakers and the 802s are new, I was interested in learning more about this noise issue. I've learned a lot reading these responses. I decided to keep my 802s. As long as I have music coming through them, they sound just fine. In fact, I'm very satisfied with them overall.

Thanks again!
📝 Reply