Quantcast
Preamp or Compressor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamp or Compressor
Old 9th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Preamp or Compressor

I have Peavey Rockmaster Tube preamp. I connected that's preamp out to my soundcard line in. (Impact twin) But signal is weak and Impact Twin and has no gain control on line in. ( I have use line in of my soundcard. Because 2 sm57 mics connected to my impact twin's mic ins)

So I want to raise my line level signal. In this case what should I do? I can buy a rack compressor (or channel strip etc) and I can hold compressor switch at minimum and output switch is at around max to raise my signal. Or I can buy a preamp and raise signal via preamp gain.

What do you advice?

PS : I don't want to raise signal via vst plugins.

Thanks.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
XLR out of pre to TRS line in?
Active instrument or Passive? is it plugged into the right input (low gain for active/high gain for passive)
Whats the record level in the DAW. 0vu = 18dbfs in the daw.

http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80301268.pdf

your problem is probably that the line out xlr is -10dbv and your interface is more than likely looking for a +4 line level.

something like an Ebtech line level shifter between the pre and interface line in.

using a comp would require it having a -10/+4 setting and use it in -10 setting and using makeup/output gain to raise the level.
Old 9th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for reply. Preamp Out (Ballanced XLR out-labeled 600ohm out) to Impact Twin Line in (But my cable Xlr-->Mono TS jack). And passive pickups.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wrong cable........should be XLR to TRS if the interface line in accepts balanced input. Just checked...ch 1-4 it is balanced. You should gain 6 db with the correct cable.
Old 9th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I will try that. Thanks for great help.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
try using line in with xlr to trs in the back, on ch 1 or 2 and you may be able to use gain adjustment to add gain. Ch 3/4 has no gain control. Press line button to activate the rear jacks.
then see if the gain knob allows adjustment to add gain if needed.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'd say, without a doubt, a preamp!
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen ➑️
try using line in with xlr to trs in the back, on ch 1 or 2 and you may be able to use gain adjustment to add gain. Ch 3/4 has no gain control. Press line button to activate the rear jacks.
then see if the gain knob allows adjustment to add gain if needed.
Yes, connecting XLR to TS cable to back inputs dont activate gain control knob. I have no XLR to TRS cable but I will buy tomorrow and try that. Thanks again.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you can try a mic cable XLR to XLR into ch 1 or 2. turn on the PAD to reduce level (you're already hotter than a mic signal coming out of the peavey), start with output on rockman low and preamp on twin turned down and adjust as needed as well.

This way you're basically using the preamp in the twin to add a little extra gain that the rockman pre is lacking because is -10 output instead of +4
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I think this is the best solution. Thanks, cheers.
πŸ“ Reply