Quantcast
What's The Most Embarrassing Thing That's Happened to you In A Studio? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's The Most Embarrassing Thing That's Happened to you In A Studio?
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What's The Most Embarrassing Thing That's Happened to you In A Studio?

This has to be the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me in a studio. Way, way back when I was 14 years old, my band The Trees won a battle of the bands. First prize was a day of studio time. I was the drummer. While in the studio, we listened to the playback of the first take. I thought it needed more snare and started trying to pull the mic on my snare closer. What happened is the head of the mic came right off. There I was, horrified, holding the head of this mic, with little prongs coming out of the bottom of it in my hand. The engineer was very gracious. He just came out, got the mic that was in 2 pieces and replaced it with another saying next time say something and I'll adjust it from the control room. Well, I just tracked that engineer down and he told me the mic I pulled apart was a Neumann U67!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When I was in school I visited a local studio to take a tour and start making connections.

I was in the control room with the engineer/owner, and I had asked him how he got started in the business. Well, I got distracted by all of the gear and zoned out a bit as he was telling his story. I heard the words "would you like to be an intern?", and I immediately responded "yeah!" ...then I realized that it was part of his story, he wasn't actually asking me that. There was an extremely awkward pause before he slowly started to continue his story. Oops.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates ➑️
This has to be the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me in a studio. Way, way back when I was 14 years old, my band The Trees won a battle of the bands. First prize was a day of studio time. I was the drummer. While in the studio, we listened to the playback of the first take. I thought it needed more snare and started trying to pull the mic on my snare closer. What happened is the head of the mic came right off. There I was, horrified, holding the head of this mic, with little prongs coming out of the bottom of it in my hand. The engineer was very gracious. He just came out, got the mic that was in 2 pieces and replaced it with another saying next time say something and I'll adjust it from the control room. Well, I just tracked that engineer down and he told me the mic I pulled apart was a Neumann U67!
Kinda his own fault for using a U67 on the snare of a 14 year old....
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates ➑️
Hahaha, that's awesome dude!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I drank to much one time as a drummer and couldn't keep time to the click.
The session had to be re-scheduled and re-paid for the next day.
I never did that again.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➑️
Kinda his own fault for using a U67 on the snare of a 14 year old....
+1!

I accidentally record-armed the wrong track (Studer A827 2" machine) on the final vocal take of the last song of a record. We punched in and the take was perfect. On playback, I noticed one of the kick mics was gone.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Not me, but back in the 70s I watched as an assistant at Capricorn Studios accidentally spilled her can of Sprite onto the console and into several of the fader slots. No one had to say anything...
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was engineering a artist one time and we tracked the vocals takes and was i like what i have done wrong here? The vocals sounded muffled and low just nasty sounding I was tried to change the preamps, compressors to see which unit was going out. long and behind the artist was singing into the back of the mic. I had set the mic up backwards. I never told the artist I just switched the mic out with a different mic to save face and said the mic was going bad.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstockAudio ➑️
+1!

I accidentally record-armed the wrong track (Studer A827 2" machine) on the final vocal take of the last song of a record. We punched in and the take was perfect. On playback, I noticed one of the kick mics was gone.
Was that at Matt's?

I once recorded a band for an hour trying to get a take. We finally got one we wanted to hear and there was nothing on playback. I hadn't engaged the master record button on my 3M M79.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
A few years ago I was tracking a vocal take for Yusuf Islam aka Cat Stevens. At the end of the take for some reason I assumed he didnt like it, as he disliked the last 2 takes we just did. After hitting command + . to discard the take he said "ahh I think that was good actually, let's hear it".

I couldnt get it back and sheepishly apologised. He looked disappointed and went "hmmmm".
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not me but a client. He always insisted on taking his reels home every night. No big deal. One day he comes in to the studio early and gets really excited about another client in the studio and getting ready to leave. He puts down the tapes and starts talking to the "famous" guy. An hour later we put the tapes on the deck, hit play, and hear dropouts. Perfect timing every time the reel gets to one side it drops out the same place every time. Client panics, freaks, tears up. His pride and joy recording is ruined! He cries out "all I did was come in and set it down" and at that moment realizes he set it on a 4X12 speaker cab.

He always left his reels with us after that.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Was that at Matt's?

I once recorded a band for an hour trying to get a take. We finally got one we wanted to hear and there was nothing on playback. I hadn't engaged the master record button on my 3M M79.
It was! Haha.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Was that at Matt's?

winner!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Spent 5 minutes telling an assistant what a no-talent bunch of assholes the (relatively famous) band was. (And they were and are.) Guess who were sitting at an open door behind me listening to the whole conversation?
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted User
Years ago, I was plugging in a music stand lamp for Englebert Humperdinck. I stood up quickly from the power strip and cracked by head on the Starbird's counter weight with such force that Humperdinck, who was doing a rehearsal take, started laughing his cock off.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJesus ➑️
Spent 5 minutes telling an assistant what a no-talent bunch of assholes the (relatively famous) band was. (And they were and are.) Guess who were sitting at an open door behind me listening to the whole conversation?
Bahaha! Ouch... Please PM me the name of the band I'm curious
Old 10th March 2014

🎧 10 years
I'm sure I've said and done some pretty daft things - my favourite was leaving a health and safety lecture (I was a runner at a large uk studio at the time) to quickly go and clean a room for a client, only to return with a massive plaster on my forehead. Somehow managed to hit myself in the face with a 3pin mains plug (our uk plugs mean business compared to US or Aus ones!).

Perhaps I needed to stay in that lecture after all.
πŸ“ Reply