Studio Kit or BYOD? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Kit or BYOD?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Studio Kit or BYOD?

Out of ten, how many times does the studio kit get recorded vs. the drummer bringing his own kit (cymbals, snare excluded)? i.e. 9/10 it's the studio kit.

Just gauging whether this is even a non-issue or not (storage of the studio kit when the drummer wants to bring his own).
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➡️
Out of ten, how many times does the studio kit get recorded vs. the drummer bringing his own kit (cymbals, snare excluded)? i.e. 9/10 it's the studio kit..
I am trying to remember the last time a drummer brought his full kit in to record. I am a drummer myself and the house kits are in very good shape, so a lot of the clients know that.

A lot depends on the styles of music you are recording. We do a lot of commercial work, jazz, blues, soundtracks, Broadway stuff and not that many Rock Bands. The drummers on those sessions are often hired guns, and do not have their egos tied up with "their sound" as far as the project is concerned. They bring a snare, pedals, maybe a few fave cymbals. They also don't want to be known as the ones responsible for the set-up taking too long!

OTOH, if you have an original speed metal band or something, the drummer is probably not going to be satisfied with a 5-piece, even if it is a very nice one! It may go well beyond his "sound" and "comfort". The songs may require double bass drums and the big rows of toms and specialized cymbals.

Quote:
Just gauging whether this is even a non-issue or not (storage of the studio kit when the drummer wants to bring his own)
the studio is always a 'wreck' once everyone is set up and settled in. If some drums are stacked in a corner or hallway, it's no worse than all the guitar cases, coats, gig bags, pedal boards, unused mic stands, and lunches lying about.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Working a 25 x 30 one room studio so space is at a premium. Ok. Was going to stress that the studio kit is preferred, but didn't want to come across as being a jackass. Definitely metal bands or Bozzio wannabes would want their own kits though.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➡️
Was going to stress that the studio kit is preferred, but didn't want to come across as being a jackass
nothing jackass about it
just tell them you charge for setup time

house kit is already set up and you already have the miking strategy in place - so it's more of a carrot than a stick
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
nothing jackass about it
just tell them you charge for setup time

house kit is already set up and you already have the miking strategy in place - so it's more of a carrot than a stick
Yeah, great point.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's absolutely a plus having a goood studio kit. And a good snare! Sometimes a snare just doesn't fit the song and then you've got options. Sometimes drummers have less than stellar kits and your kit will save the day. However, I have a drumit that is suited for mellower stuff and rootsy rock. A 1960's premier. It doesn't get extremely loud and aggressive and has a closed skin on the kick. There've been times where I wish the drummer had just brought his own gear. Over here it's 50/50
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…