Quantcast
imac g4 (2002) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
imac g4 (2002)
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
imac g4 (2002)

Any idea how you can record sounds on an imac g4 from 2002?
So which version of logic to use...or other daw...

Thanks
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

I once used a G4 (still around somewhere in the basement) running OS9. I used a high+quality 2-channel PCI A/D-D/A converter with balanced I/O (can't remember the manufacturer) and ran BIAS Peak for recording and editing. It worked great using the PCI converter. No computer noise, no ground loops and clean conversion.

A G4 running OS9 will work with Logic 6.4 or 7. A G4 should be able to run an early edition of OSX which would allow operation of Logic 8. Don't know how late a edition of OSX will run on a non-Intel Mac. Probably not past 10.5.8

Then, there's always the mic input and the headphone output.

There are still some old archived posts on the Logic User's group that deal with what version of Logic will work with what OS on a Mac.

Addendum: Whoa! Just noticed you said an iMac. My G4 was a PowerMac with PCI slots, so the PCI card is out. A single, lowercase letter makes a big difference.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…