Quantcast
nice footage of a recording session - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
nice footage of a recording session
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
nice footage of a recording session

Here´s some footage of a Korean band I recorded some months ago. I think it turned out quite cool. Let me know what you think! I´d like to hear your opinions.

Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
looks and sounds great. you remember the set-up you used to record the instruments, apart from what's obvious in the video?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It is cool! Very good music.....sounds good too.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very, very cool.

Sounds fabulous. And I love the music.

Just....what were those strange white round spinning things at 3:30?

Seriously...thanks for posting this.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
very cool! thank you for sharing.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks everyone! I´ve always felt a little reluctant posting stuff, but I thought I´d take the plunge this time. Those guys were great company. Spoke very little English but we had good fun nonetheless. Best thing was that they thought the Euro-Chinese food was the best thing they´d ever had(...). We worked really hard at this and recorded/mixed a full album in a week. I had an intern at the time who did all the filming and editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N ➡️
looks and sounds great. you remember the set-up you used to record the instruments, apart from what's obvious in the video?
I remember it vividly. I tend to forget stuff like that but I remember this one:

Drums (1960´s Premier, our studio kit) using the recorderman setup:

Gefell m94´s sd condensers on overhead
Beyer 201 on snare
Audiotechnica condenser stage mic on bottom (standing on the floor looking up)
Sennheiser E602 on kick
T-Bone Ribbon out in the room with 1176 all buttons in.

Piano (1800´s Blüthner): two SE Electronics 4400 (414 knockoffs) in XY looking at the soundholes.

Geigum (the harp): two Gefell m94´s. One close miked underneath the instrument at the soundhole the other one up in the air looking down on the strings. Mixed to mono.

Trumpet: Gefell UM70 and T-Bone Ribbon mixed together.

Flute: Gefell um70 in Omni miked pretty far from the soundsource to get it to blend in better with the rest (it´s a very sharp instrument)

Bass: DI and a touch of 1176 compression.

I used a V72 on all the solo instruments (Flute, Trumpet and harp). All the other stuff was the MCI JH428 board preamps. Straight to tape on a Tascam ATR-80 at 30 ips (no noise reduction).
Mixed on the MCI to 24 bit on a Lynx soundcard. Reverb (apart from the room itself) is an EMT 140 plate.
The whole thing was mastered in Korea.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
THATS JOEP van Rhijn! Old class mate buddy of me! We where always doing creative stuff, music and short films! Hahahaha awesome that he is coming so far!

BTW GREAT job on the recording and mixing men! PUIK werk
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
What a great job! Sounds great and your intern did a nice job with the video too! Enjoyable production all around
Old 8th March 2014
Lou
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
great job.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce ➡️
THATS JOEP van Rhijn! Old class mate buddy of me! We where always doing creative stuff, music and short films! Hahahaha awesome that he is coming so far!

BTW GREAT job on the recording and mixing men! PUIK werk
Thanks! Yes! I know him from the old days as well. He lives in Korea at the moment. Great guy and player.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Great job. It's nice to find something that I can actually listen all the way through.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fantastic recording and mix. Someone posted this sentiment above but yeah, I actually listened all the way thru! Great job syncing the video as well. It amazes me how many of these videos I see on Youtube where the sync is off. Great job once again. Thumbsup
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just awesome.....! Recording and music.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks so much! The intern wasn't even that much into audio. Video is his thing and he's really good at it. This project has become a benchmark for me so far as what I have to accomplish in the studio. I haven't gotten these results before and (admittedly)after even though I've been engineering some cool stuff lately. Somehow these guys and myself just "got it" this time. We trusted each other which is really important. They never intervened with what I did even when it took an hour to get the sound right. Me and Joep (the trumpet player and producer/arranger) complimented each other perfectly when it came to the musical/producing side of things as well. I Punched in like mother on that tape machine and now it's become second nature. I'm still happy with all the mixes that I did in roughly two days. That rarely ever happens. I do think this song might be the best mix of the bunch as it made me work a lot harder on getting it right because it's such a busy arrangement.
It just goes to show it's all about great musicians and chemistry with everyone involved. I've recorded some less stellar musicians as well after this and you look at all that gear and you want it to do the same thing and you just hear it say: " Nope...you're on your own his time:"

If anyone wants a copy of the album send me a PM, I'll ask the band to send you one.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Nice!
📝 Reply