Quantcast
Control 24 Pre Amps vs Audient Pre Amps? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Control 24 Pre Amps vs Audient Pre Amps?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Control 24 Pre Amps vs Audient Pre Amps?

If you had the choice which ones would you use and why? Ideally, which pre's are better?

Thanks
Old 6th March 2014

🎧 10 years
The old Control 24 had pretty horrible preamps. The newer ones were better. I haven't compared them side by side but would guess the audient ones are a little ahead of even the newer C24. I wouldn't consider either to be high end (hence the move to So Much gear).
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I haven't used ones for a couple of years, but assuming you mean the old Control 24, (and not the new C24), I thought the pre's in it were trash. Sounded really bad to me. Theres no way I'd be tracking on one of those without taking some pre's in with me, very thin and brittle sounding. A rack of RNP's would smoke it. YMMV.

I can't speak for the Audient as I've not used one.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
The old Control 24 had pretty horrible preamps. The newer ones were better. I haven't compared them side by side but would guess the audient ones are a little ahead of even the newer C24. I wouldn't consider either to be high end (hence the move to So Much gear).
This model of Control 24 to be specific.

Old 6th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah, Control 24 then. Not C24.

Bad preamps in that thing.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 ➑️
This model of Control 24 to be specific.

Audient will sound better.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Audient will sound better.
Would it be a fairly notable difference in quality? I have 8 channels of Audient pre-amps I could use (and input the mic signal to the Control 24 at line level). But it's more carrying weight for me.

Any words of advice anyone?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Would it be a fairly notable difference in quality? I have 8 channels of Audient pre-amps I could use (and input the mic signal to the Control 24 at line level). But it's more carrying weight for me.

Any words of advice anyone?
It would be a notable difference if you could avoid the Control 24 preamps altogether. My worry would be that if you were going line into the C24 you may actually just be going in through preamps padded to line level (many of the prosumer items take this approach as it's cheaper to implement. I havent seen the schematic on the C24 so don't know if digi did.)

But, in any case, if you've got to carry something why take the control 24?? Take the audient preamps and a small interface.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It would be a notable difference if you could avoid the Control 24 preamps altogether. My worry would be that if you were going line into the C24 you may actually just be going in through preamps padded to line level (many of the prosumer items take this approach as it's cheaper to implement. I havent seen the schematic on the C24 so don't know if digi did.)

But, in any case, if you've got to carry something why take the control 24?? Take the audient preamps and a small interface.
+1. I'd go straight out of the Audient into the inputs of the interface. Best avoiding the C24 altogether. Decent control surface, awful front end.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well it's someone else's studio, they have a C24, Pro Tools HD and eight channels of 192 converters set up to a decent live room via tie lines. The converters are meant to be good (from what I've heard) so no problem there. I just wanted to bypass the C24's pre's if the Audients I have were better, but pulling apart the studio isn't really an option.

If I were to use my Audient ASP008 pre-amps/ADAT converters (along with my iD22 interface) I'm guessing the benefits of the improved pre-amps would be nullified overall as my ASP008 converters almost certainly aren't as good as the 192s (I presume?).
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
They should be able to patch your pres in without touching the desk without too much difficulty.

Quote:
Well it's someone else's studio, they have a C24, Pro Tools HD and eight channels of 192 converters set up to a decent live room via tie lines. The converters are meant to be good (from what I've heard) so no problem there. I just wanted to bypass the C24's pre's if the Audients I have were better, but pulling apart the studio isn't really an option.

If I were to use my Audient ASP008 pre-amps/ADAT converters (along with my iD22 interface) I'm guessing the benefits of the improved pre-amps would be nullified overall as my ASP008 converters almost certainly aren't as good as the 192s (I presume?).
πŸ“ Reply