Quantcast
Another NS-10 thread. yay. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another NS-10 thread. yay.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Another NS-10 thread. yay.

How many more threads do we need on these speakers? None, but I'm doing it anyway!

I Just recently picked up a pair with an old yamaha p2100 that was recently re-capped. Prior to this I didn't know a ton about them other than they seem to be a standard in most studios. Now being an owner I decided to do some research and to my surprise I found there was a plethora of discussion about power amps...

From everything I have read it seems like if you don't have a bryston 3b or 4b you are not hearing them as most mixers are.

This isn't a "which amp thread" I have a perfectly functioning amp, but my question is, is it really worth the price tag of a bryston? Am I wasting my time with my current pairing? How much better could they really sound?

If NS-10s are known for not sounding good, why would I spend 4 digits on an amp if they are still going to be these mid heavy little boxes?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No it's not worth it. Even Chris Lord Alge just uses a Yamaha 2002M amp with his. I use a cheaper Adcom amp and it sounds perfectly fine. The money paid for a Bryston will be excessively more than the noticeable sound difference.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I use them with an old consumer Yamaha AV amp, work great
I cranked up the bass EQ with a little bit of high and they sound very sweet haha. I can even work on the bass with them now ^^
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendert ➑️
If NS-10s are known for not sounding good, why would I spend 4 digits on an amp if they are still going to be these mid heavy little boxes?
Bingo!

I use a 2200 with mine and a 2100 with a pair of Auratone for over 20 years now.

Nothin like the Yammy, the VU meters on the 2200 are ultra cool.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm using an old Yamaha a100a. Seems to be working fine.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I used a Yamaha Pm-2100 for years. As per Jim Williams advice,
I switched to an Adcom GFA-555. Big difference.
Then I replaced the capasitors in the internal cross-overs with some
Audiophile caps. Really opened up the sound, as far as response, clarity,
and imaging. Fuse the tweeters, at a replacement cost of $120.00 apiece,
it's cheaper to replace a 25 cent fuse.
Old 6th March 2014

🎧 10 years
I notched enough of a difference between using them with a QSC amp, and a Bryston, to purchase the Bryston.

Still - the Yamaha amps designed for them don't do a bad job at all.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I use a Bryston and they still sound like crap. Love it!
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimpkins ➑️
I'm still confused... A bryston obviously makes a difference, but if using one only opens them up a bit from everything else, wouldn't it be money better spent on some better sounding monitors rather than trying to get the NS10s to sound the best they can? Maybe some Focals?
Old 6th March 2014

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimpkins ➑️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendert ➑️
I'm still confused... A bryston obviously makes a difference, but if using one only opens them up a bit from everything else, wouldn't it be money better spent on some better sounding monitors rather than trying to get the NS10s to sound the best they can? Maybe some Focals?
NS10s aren't about sounding good.

They represent transients really well - unencumbered by massive amounts of bass, they make it easy to balance drum levels within a mix, vocal rides etc.

A Bryston or similar makes them "better" at doing that, for me.

Although I don't really think NS10s sound "bad"...just not flattering. And I personally can't stand focals!
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️

They represent transients really well - unencumbered by massive amounts of bass, they make it easy to balance drum levels within a mix, vocal rides etc.

Although I don't really think NS10s sound "bad"...just not flattering. And I personally can't stand focals!

Thank you. Probably the best answer I've heard on the subject.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Surely a Bryston 3B can be had for less than 4 figures? I think I paid around 600 for mine. Great amp, no doubt.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️

That was exactly my point. Thank you.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'd be surprised if it's worth it. For what ns10s do you don't need to ask a lot of your power amp. Yes every power amp will sound different, but you get the *ns10 effect* with even modest amps. I've been rocking a peavy power amp for a decade. Every now and then I've plugged in higher fidelity amps and I can definitely hear a difference, but never enough to make me think an upgrade isn't pointless.
πŸ“ Reply