Quantcast
Dangerous Source - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dangerous Source
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Dangerous Source

Hello again everyone..and thanks for solving most of my problems. Hopefully this one is just ignorance.

For those seeing my frequent posts you may be familiar with some of this information.

I've had the mbox 3 pro for a while and have gotten external mic pres and ADC for a little better sound, the only thing lacking now was DAC but mainly so I could completely bypass the pro for various reasons.

I purchased the dangerous source, now my problem is, It's hooked up via SPDIF but when I'm in PT i can't select SDPIF as my outputs because I hear no sound...it's still just outputs 1 and 2 that I can hear. And funnier, the source box WORKS with outputs 1 and 2....

So do I have something hooked up wrong? because the only difference I'm hearing is volume...through my headphones at least...

Sense it's hooked up spidf shouldn't I need to set outputs to SDPIF just like my inputs are SDPIF for the outboard ADCs??

anyone who can help please do. My I\O is set to default, If that has something to do with it i surely need some help.

thanks again everyone.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey there,
I would look into the Mbox's mixer utility / settings. Make sure the SPDIF routing is correct. If you're getting sound out of the source, it obviously means Protools is sending audio to the right outputs, or the Mbox is routing the 1-2 outs to the SPDIF. I don't have an Mbox but many interfaces can take the signal out of DAW and re-route the audio to different hardware outputs.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hm...then It would seem I'm running it correctly...the more I listen the more I can tell the bass is a little more defined...and the panning feels better in the monitors...And yes the volume is much louder...

When I first plugged it up, it went to install drivers and it said that my hardware did not install successfully...via usb. Now it doesn't even show when I plug it in via USB...But I thought my PC should recognize it...

I'm afraid that if It didn't install all of the drivers I may not be hearing it at it's full potential...

is that possible?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You initially said you're trying to use SPDIF? Which made me wonder why not use the USB.
That's the better thing to do for sure, and the procedure is quite different.
If you use the USB, then you COMPLETELY bypass the mbox, the sound goes straight out of the DAW (1-2) to the source, and the source IS your interface.

If you still want to use the mbox for recording, which I assume you do, you have to create an agreggate device (not sure the PC equivalent to this) which is basically combine to 2 interfaces and tell your DAW to use the combined one.
If you can't do that, you would have to go back to using SPDIF out of your mbox. If you do this, you don't need the USB, and the source would go back to being just the DAC.
If you're getting sound through the source, then that's the sound, not amount of installation will make it sound better, it either works or not.

If you can't hear much difference, then consider the converters were not the right thing for you to upgrade (you should always consider upgrading your weakest link), in other words, your monitoring is not strong enough that you can hear the differences, or your ears are not picking up on the differences. But don't be discouraged, figure out how to move forward.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
In the end I feel like I can hear a difference it's not huge....but once again its enough to help. AND. Now I'm in no way using my mbox. Everything is external...meaning if the mbox ever goes I still have my same setup and I won't have to spend a tone if money on an interface to compete with the sound.

Yea. I'm not sure how to do the USB thing but that did answer my question. I will continue to use the SPIDF but even though that sound is little better, I know it'll only improve more once I upgrade my monitors. I'm happy to be ahead if my game in DAC anyways. Plus I can hear the difference my ADC is making a little better now..

Win/win. Even with a small change comes a big change in the end.

Thank ya sir. Gonna start using this beast. I appreciate your help.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's awesome man - you're very welcome!
Yes from my experience, converters do make a difference but compared to other items, the difference is small.
In the end, it's all very cumulative..
Good luck and have fun making music!
A
πŸ“ Reply