Quantcast
Comb Filtering on some buses only (Logic) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Comb Filtering on some buses only (Logic)
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Comb Filtering on some buses only (Logic)

I'm currently mixing drums in Logic 9 and sent all the drums (sans kick) to 3 busses (2 for different reverbs, 1 for parallel compression). For some reason I am getting comb filtering/latency on one of the buses, but not the other 2. The one I am using to send to a parallel comp is comb filtering. Even if I remove all the plugins from all 3 buses, I still only get comb filtering on one of them.

Suggestions/thoughts/fixes? At first I thought it was because I was using a different compressor on the parallel bus, which may not have had proper plugin delay compensation (API 2500), though even when the bus is completely empty of all inserts I am still getting this offset/comb filtering.

Thanks!
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What are you using to measure this comb filtering? How are you able to tell? I use parallel compression in Logic all the time and I don't think I've run in to this problem.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My ears. It sounds like a single short delay.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've heard this problem before when I enabled/disable or insert/remove plugins on my channels while the music is playing. But, if I stop and start the playback again, it syncs up fine. I would make sure that in your Preferences > General > Plug-In Latency > Compensation is set to "All." I noticed this problem mainly with UAD plugins, but I think the plugin latency compensation applies to all plugins.

Sometimes Logic can be screwy. Things you should check:

- Have you tried deleting the bus, and resending the parallel signal to a new bus?
- Make sure the parallel bus is set to stereo...Sometimes Logic doesn't catch that you're sending a stereo signal to a bus, and creates the bus in mono. This has happened to me many times.

Edit: Also, make sure that the plugins on your bus are in stereo...Sometimes Logic will show the bus is in stereo, but if even one plugin in the chain is in mono, it will make the entire signal mono.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
tried all of that stuff. just realized it was coming from the fact that i sent my snare out to a bus separately to effect it, and then sent that bus to the main parallel drum bus - once i took the send off that channel, all was well again. i guess you can't send a track to "Bus 1" and then send "Bus 1" to "Bus 2" if Bus 2 also is being sent the original track?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't think there's any problem doing that, but it sounds like the effect you were putting on your snare was introducing some sort of delay. What if you did that same routing without the effect? Keep in mind also that simply disabling a plugin doesn't always remove it's processing entirely from the chain/memory. You may have to completely remove the insert to get the full effect (I've always been skeptical of DAW's "bypass" functions...)
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i'm having really weird results. i set up a bus to parallel compress...sent the snare through it...sounds awesome...moving on with the mix...sent hi hats to it...suddenly comb filtering...turn off hi hats going to that bus, so back to just the original snare...still comb filtering now...remove the busses from the hi hat sends all together...back to normal...add one hi hat track...good...add second hi hat track...everything comb filters again. i should be able to sent multiple tracks out to the bus without this happening right?

i don't know what this could be (i have plugin delay comp on). any ideas?

P.S. this is happening sending stuff to reverb buses as well
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What are your computer specs? It sounds like your computer is not keeping up in real time with the changes you're making across the mixer. Are you doing this routing with no plugins at first, so we know this is being caused simply from routing to the bus?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
yeah, the buses work, and then at some point the comb filtering starts. comp can def handle everything....not even getting close to CPU meter (quad core 2.3, 16 gigs ram, ssd)
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't know man...Sounds very strange to me. I'm using Logic Pro X on Mavericks, but that was a recent switch from Logic 9. I haven't had a similar problem with either of them.

I did have a problem in Logic 9 a while back where for some unknown reason the main output channel in the mixer wouldn't output anything. Everything was set as it should be, and it showed levels in the meters, but it wouldn't output. I had to revert to an older backup copy and it worked fine. Sometimes I think the Logic file just gets corrupted.

Does this happen on all of your projects, or just this particular one?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try to change buffer size
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is there anything weird on that buss in the environment window that your not seeing from the mix window?
πŸ“ Reply