Quantcast
Telefunken R-F-T AK47 vs. Peluso 2247SE - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Telefunken R-F-T AK47 vs. Peluso 2247SE
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Telefunken R-F-T AK47 vs. Peluso 2247SE

I'm thinking of picking up a mic between the 2 for a good quality vintage-like tone. I know what an original U47 sounds like through a Neve 80 series desk and I'd like to get close to that sound. I'm using a Portico 5012 mic pre going into a Pro Tools 8x8x8, so the AD/DA is pretty good.

Any experience regarding the differences between those mics and how they might compare to an original U47 would be helpful

It's tough to get these mics on loan and I'm on a tight budget...also I know I'd be pretty ok with either mic and that preamp. Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd March 2014

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 ➑️
I'm thinking of picking up a mic between the 2 for a good quality vintage-like tone. I know what an original U47 sounds like through a Neve 80 series desk and I'd like to get close to that sound. I'm using a Portico 5012 mic pre going into a Pro Tools 8x8x8, so the AD/DA is pretty good.

Any experience regarding the differences between those mics and how they might compare to an original U47 would be helpful

It's tough to get these mics on loan and I'm on a tight budget...also I know I'd be pretty ok with either mic and that preamp. Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance.
The AK47 is a very nice mic for the price point. It doesn't however have the smooth mids of a nice U47 and the top end is brighter.
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
The AK47 is a very nice mic for the price point. It doesn't however have the smooth mids of a nice U47 and the top end is brighter.
Thanks Trev. Do you have any experience with the Peluso? A smooth mid-range is more important to me than crisp highs.
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 ➑️
Thanks Trev. Do you have any experience with the Peluso? A smooth mid-range is more important to me than crisp highs.
Yes. I sold it very shortly after I bought my AK47. Take from that what you will.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
Yes. I sold it very shortly after I bought my AK47. Take from that what you will.
Thanks for the feedback. From your description and some others I've read in other posts regarding both the AK47 and the 2247SE I've started to look elsewhere.

I'm starting to love the Lawson L47MP. Not only does it sound killer on the type of vocals I need it for, it has a pot instead of a switch for the pattern select.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ask Dave Pearlman about his TM47. It sounds fantastic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubehead ➑️
Ask Dave Pearlman about his TM47. It sounds fantastic.
I've just looked at the site. Cardioid only... However I looked at his TM-1 w/upgrade model and he has a version that uses EF804's. I have 4 vintage unopened Telefunken EF804's and am contacting him regarding that mic.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
We've got an AK47 where I work and it sounds good but I'm not a fan of the build quality. It's Chinese(or somewhere in Asia, I don't recall exactly where at the moment) made and I don't think it's worth the money. Definitely check out the Pearlman TM1 like the other guy said if your looking for a vintagey mic.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
That's funny because I have the Tele AR51 and I think the build quality is outstanding. I love the pearlman TM47 sound wise but I actually just sent it back to Dave to fix some non-sound related issues with the body. He is a great guy so no issues there. I'm just pointing out that the quality of the telefunken in my opinion is outstanding. It also sounds wonderful as well.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I took the advice and called Dave and my TM-47 is in the mail!
Should have it Monday, can't wait!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiummusic ➑️
We've got an AK47 where I work and it sounds good but I'm not a fan of the build quality. It's Chinese(or somewhere in Asia, I don't recall exactly where at the moment) made and I don't think it's worth the money. Definitely check out the Pearlman TM1 like the other guy said if your looking for a vintagey mic.
Thanks for that info...build quality is important, especially if your purchasing something almost 2K.

I'm trying to see if there are any studios near me that have a few of these mics so I can 'audition' them. The Lawrence and the Pearlman are build to order, which is awesome, but it's kinds hard to get one on loan or for consideration.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I spoke to Dave and it was a great revelation. He's going to be building me a TM-1 around my vintage Telefunken EF 804's (sending him 2 so he can select the one with less noise... He thinks it will be a slammin' mic. Thanks for the suggestions guys...Been a real help!
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Good deal, from my conversations with him Dave is a great guy and very easily reachable.
Let us know how you make out.
I'll post back when I get my TM-47 on Monday. I'll try and post some clips also.
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have an AK47 which I love. Tested it on a female singer against a U67, 251, M49, C12. It's much cheaper than all of them, but we thought it worked best. It's brighter than a U47 for sure, but less so than a C12. It sounds M49-like I would say, but a bit less tubey.
Old 26th April 2014 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg ➑️
I have an AK47 which I love. Tested it on a female singer against a U67, 251, M49, C12. It's much cheaper than all of them, but we thought it worked best. It's brighter than a U47 for sure, but less so than a C12. It sounds M49-like I would say, but a bit less tubey.
My AK47 sounds absolutely nothing like an M49. The AK47 is a great mic for the price-point but isn't even in the same league as the others you mentioned. I suspect you were working with the 1 in 100 singers where that mic would have worked better than the others you listed.
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'm not saying the AK47 is a better mic han the other ones: of course a U67 sounds warmer, a C12 more detailed etc. All I'm saying is for me it strikes the right balance quite often, especially on female vox. As we all know, choosing a mic is not about which one is the best - people have preferred a simple sm7 over a vintage U47.
Old 27th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
But I strayed a bit to far from the original question, sorry for that. For a mic with a u47 like vintage tone you should indeed look somewhere else than the AK47. Good luck with the Pearlman, would love to try a TM1 myself.
Old 2nd June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I know it's been a while, but I've had my Pearlman TM-1 for a while and have been using it with a Neve 5012. The combo sounds great. With the EF804 it seems like the bottom goes to ~5 hertz...unbelieveable. A very usable and musical sounding mic. The midrange appears very smooth and for my voice, no eq is necessary...I just use the high pass around 40hz, and leave the mic flat.
Old 2nd June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...this thread is soundfile deficient...

...TM-1 and TM-47 clips would rectify the situation...
πŸ“ Reply