Quantcast
Alternating Sessions - Workflow - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alternating Sessions - Workflow
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Alternating Sessions - Workflow

For years I've used the "binge on the project until it is done" method, using breaks and/or sleep as the only away time before I finish it.

I tend to work this way because if I don't, I risk wanting to start something new and leaving it unfinished.

Last night it occurred to me that I might actually work more efficiently if I break each day into two halves and force myself to switch between two sessions. Better perspective, more inspiration from not forcing parts, etc. It's one thing when the project comes along well and I can finish it in one 10-14 hour session, but the multiple-day jobs start to wear after awhile.

I mix ITB and my tracking is all pretty streamlined and ready to go so that isn't an issue.

What style works well for you?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
To moderators- I meant to put this in Music For Picture.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Think of it like this. I think many, if not all, do not want a mix to slowly lose all of its beautiful properties, all its energy, all its attitude... In order to be able to only meet these basic listener expectations, even these default requirements require a pretty powerful presence in relation to the mix. Now, for hit mixes, in my view much more is required, you essentially have to put the beautiful mix properties on a cumulative curvature, both the polarity and the strength need to increase cumulatively. That requires a certain approach. One approch is to start a new mix by mixing the most important chorus, which is the most important part of the song, in other words mix each part in order of importance on a separate session, starting with the most important one. Negative polarity is inverting in nature, long single sessions can result in negative cycles - the song is slowly losing all of its vitality. Here is an example of a powerful verse 1 to chorus 1 to bridge progression. At the end of the second verse when the rhythm guitars enter you notice that the mix is on a slow cumulative polarity increase. Fantastic mix...

http://open.spotify.com/track/0uZhRTUTRk3iaAlJPLswm1
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I used to binge only as well. Don't get me wrong, if you're on a roll you should keep pushing. But, yes, alternating between projects now has definitely gotten me more quality progress.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I binge.....definitely. I need to take full advantage of the specific inspiration when it is there.

I occasionally have two projects going at the same time but when I do I need to put one aside to concentrate on the one at hand.

That said......I work pretty fast......definite binging. I make decisions and commitments that move my projects toward completion before any....negative cycles....have time to develop.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…