Quantcast
New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio

I have been on the hunt for new monitors for a while now. I have tried and returned several pairs: LSR308, Neumann kh120, and Genelec 8050s. The 308s I found to be low quality in general.

The kh120s sounded great, and were easy to mix mids and highs, but the lows translated very poorly when played back on other systems (car, headphones) and they were pretty quiet overall, maybe too small for my room. What I loved about the kh120s is I could sit and produce on them all day with no ear fatigue and they had a sound that made me want to go into the studio and work on music. If all I worked on was acoustic and/or vocals, the kh120 would be a perfect speaker for me. They are also great for just listening to music.

The 8050as sounded pretty good for the most part. Razor sharp accuracy, but there was a huge hole in the mid bass. As I said in a previous post, in "Doin it Right" by Daft Punk the note at ~62 Hz is present, the note at ~39 Hz is very strong/overpowering, but the note at ~52 Hz is almost non-existent. They were also very fatiguing and were not inspiring to produce music on. It felt like a chore going into the studio to work on music with those.

So basically what I'm looking for is a good set of monitors that will be inspiring to work on and have pretty good LF extension with little to no ear fatigue. Not too much to ask for is it? I have listened to the a7x for a while and they have a very pleasant sound and are very detailed. I could see myself wanting to work on those but the LF is not low enough for me. I have listened to some dynaudio bm5as but it was a long time ago so I'm not sure how accurate my memory is but they sounded pretty good.

So based on what I've read online (I know, a horrible source for information but isn't that kind of the point of these forums? Better than sales reps at least), I think either a7x + sub8, bm6a mkii, bm12a, or a77x would be a good fit for me. Who has experience with any of these monitors and can share their experience regarding these key points?

ps. I mainly produce and listen to electronic music. Who would've guessed
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think either the A7x pr BM6a's are a good choice. However, it seems most people like one or the other, not both. I walked into Guitar Center convinced that I was going to buy Adam A7's. I just didn't like the way they sounded. I ended up choosing the BM5a's instead. My only regret was not at least exploring Focal because it seems like people who like the BM5a's love Focals. I still have yet to hear them and in all honesty, I couldn't afford them but I would have at least liked to explore that option.

On that note, you may need a sub regardless with either choice (not sure about the higher end model of either brand). For me, I use my mixer eq to reference bass and have done this on my 2 sets of monitors prior to this. It's not that the bass isn't there, it's just not loud. For me, I know my room, eq, and monitors well enough so that just using my EQ, I can be very certain that my levels are there on the bass.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
You may want to look at the new Adam F7's as they have the same tweeter as the AX7. I just bought a pair and according to ARC2 measurements they are way closer to flat than the old monitors I was using (not much correction needed at all even though they are in a smaller room). The detail is really amazing and the low end is no slouch either. Translation is really good, especially with ARC2. I am very satisfied with these monitors.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
3rd Degree, I did enjoy the Adam sound so I am sort of leaning that way. I wish there was a local shop nearby to demo the dynaudios but there isn't. The one thing that would probably make me order and try dynaudios over the Adams is if they have less ear fatigue. I seem to be pretty sensitive in that respect. It doesn't seem like there is a clear consensus on which brand has less ear fatigue.

Bandso, I have looked into the F7 and listened to them for a bit at Guitar Center. When I played sine waves through them, they actually could go a little bit lower than the a7x before becoming inaudible if I remember correctly. Although, I still preferred the midrange detail in the a7x to the F7. Also the soundonsound.com review of the F7 recommended the a7x over the F7 if you can afford it and the a7x is well within my budget. I will probably end up purchasing an ARC2 after I make some DIY bass traps. Glad you are enjoying your monitors.
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Lost ➑️
3rd Degree, I did enjoy the Adam sound so I am sort of leaning that way. I wish there was a local shop nearby to demo the dynaudios but there isn't. The one thing that would probably make me order and try dynaudios over the Adams is if they have less ear fatigue. I seem to be pretty sensitive in that respect. It doesn't seem like there is a clear consensus on which brand has less ear fatigue.
If I have learned anything about monitors, I have learned it's a matter of taste. I find Adam monitors to be fatiguing very quickly. They just don't work with my ears. However, many people a really respect recommended these to me and though I hate how their monitors sound, they mix very well. For me, the Dynaudios are more "hifi" sounding, they are actually pretty pleasant to listen to. I can listen to them for hours with no issue.

My point isn't to convince you that one is a better choice than the other. Instead, my point is to convince you to hopefully listen to both, if possible. I luckily could listen to both side by side but I actually had to spend 2.5 hours to actually purchase my BM5a's because where I heard them, they only had the demo.

If it helps, to me, the A7's sounded like a better version of the Yamaha HS series. The BM5a sounds like a better version of the Tannoy Reveal series. I actually bough the BM5a's because they sounded very similar to my older Tannoy's but more detailed. Then new Tannoys are very affordable and don't sound as good as my set but they have a similar sound.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I can only speak from experience on my A7X's, and I can say that they are wonderful to work with on a day-to-day basis. They don't have a phenomenal amount of low end (what nearfield's do...), so if you're looking for accurate low end I'd definitely recommend a sub like you mentioned. Extremely pleased with the Adams....plenty powerful and detailed enough to make a great mix.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do you have decent bass trapping and treatment in your room already?
The comments on the uneven bass response of the Genelec sound more like room nodes and positioning than the speaker response.
I've had Dynaudio BM6s before and now use the KH120's. i find the 120s much easier to work on, especially around the mids. I've got an Adam sub7 that I used to add a bit more wight to the low end, but I gradually weened myself off it and now only use the KH120s. It's much easier for me making decisions without a sub. With treatment in the room I find the bass on the 120s very reliable. I make electronic music only on them.
ECM
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

Bandso, I have looked into the F7 and listened to them for a bit at Guitar Center. When I played sine waves through them, they actually could go a little bit lower than the a7x before becoming inaudible if I remember correctly. Although, I still preferred the midrange detail in the a7x to the F7. Also the soundonsound.com review of the F7 recommended the a7x over the F7 if you can afford it and the a7x is well within my budget. I will probably end up purchasing an ARC2 after I make some DIY bass traps. Glad you are enjoying your monitors.
I think the fatique comes from the room or the Adams not being burned in properly. If you can get them all in your room and then see what you like the most.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree ➑️
I can listen to them for hours with no issue.
This makes me want to purchase the bm6a and try it out in my studio. 3rd degree, have you listened to the a7x at all? People say that the tweeters have really smoothed out compared to the a7. Also, can anyone who has dynaudios (bm5a or bm6a mkii) play "doin it right" by daft punk and let me know if the note at 39Hz is audible and strong? That would be about the lowest frequency I would work with.

I will be making 6 OC 703 bass traps for my room. Right now all I have is some foam panels and foam corner traps.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This makes me want to purchase the bm6a and try it out in my studio. 3rd degree, have you listened to the a7x at all? People say that the tweeters have really smoothed out compared to the a7. Also, can anyone who has dynaudios (bm5a or bm6a mkii) play "doin it right" by daft punk and let me know if the note at 39Hz is audible and strong? That would be about the lowest frequency I would work with.

I will be making 6 OC 703 bass traps for my room. Right now all I have is some foam panels and foam corner traps.
I have not heard the A7x's that I recall unfortunately.
Old 3rd March 2014
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The PSI Audio A17-M if you can afford it, nothing touches what they do and they are oh so smooth up top too (ie no fatigue) yet revealing. It is a unique company and product to say the least, mind blowing stuff in our experience.

War
vak
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➑️
The PSI Audio A17-M if you can afford it, nothing touches what they do and they are oh so smooth up top too (ie no fatigue) yet revealing. It is a unique company and product to say the least, mind blowing stuff in our experience.

War
where can you purchase these?
ECM
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

Yeah the new tweeter is much more advanced (and not harsh depending on room / filter setting and burn in time) the doing it right note @ 39Hz plays nice and loud on a7x.

Impossible to say which you would like out of a7x bm6a over some internet comments, only way would be for you to test them both in your space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak ➑️
where can you purchase these?
Any decent audio store, but they much higher up in the price range, and at that price range you got even more monitors to consider as well as the PSI's, if you can push up.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
PSI look like great monitors. But I'm trying to keep my purchase under 3k (I would likely need a sub with PSI) and there is little production evidence so far that the PSI can translate onto many playback systems. I'm not doubting their capability though and would love to try them out.

Trying to weight the pros and cons of dynaudio vs adam. Here's my comparison between the two brands so far. I'm not saying any of this information makes them a better or worse monitor but it's good to have it organized.

Dynaudio:

I don't think I've come across a review that has said the dynaudios are fatiguing. Must be that soft dome.

EDM Pro users: Hardwell, Tritonal, Firebeatz, Seven Lions, Steve Aoki, Flying Lotus, Dannic, Fehrplay, Eric Prydz, Gareth Emery, Hard Rock Sofa, Audien.

Rear ported (would prefer front)

bm6a: $1,300 Frequency Response (+/- 3 dB): 40 Hz - 21 kHz
bm6a + bm9s: $2,300 Frequency Response (+/- 3 dB): 29 Hz - 21 kHz

Adam:

Most people say the XART tweeters are smooth, clear, and non-fatiguing. Every once in a while I come across a user who can't stand them. My personal experience is that they are very nice sounding.

EDM Pro users: Diplo/Major Laser, Feed Me, Adam Beyer, David Guetta, Sebastian Ingrosso, Dillon Francis, Datsik, Max Vangeli.

Front Ported

a7x $1,400 Frequency Response (+/- ??): 42 Hz - 50 kHz (Sharp roll of below 42 Hz)
a77x $2,200 Frequency Response (+/- ??): 38 Hz - 50 kHz
a7x + Sub8: $2,200 Frequency Response (+/- ??): 28 Hz - 50 kHz

Does anyone have any mixes done on adams or dynaudio to post? I listened to some of 3rd degree's stuff and he's made some pretty good mixes with dynaudio. I have noticed that many on this forum say "a7x translates amazing!" but they never post a mix...

Last edited by Project Lost; 4th March 2014 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: Add information on ear fatigue
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Get dynaudio m4s
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Does anyone have any mixes done on adams or dynaudio to post? I listened to some of 3rd degree's stuff and he's made some pretty good mixes with dynaudio. I have noticed that many on this forum say "a7x translates amazing!" but they never post a mix...
I want to note that even if you like my stuff, I am not a mixing engineer. Every single project I put out professionally is not mixed by me, nor is on my soundcloud.

I just don't want to lead you to believe that what you are hearing from my page is the best these things can do. I consider everything on my page a "rough", though I took some time, until someone buys it, or I get an artist on it, I would say I put 30-50% into mixing. That's not to say there is 70% improvement by myself, I am just saying, I only spend a certain amount of time mixing things for free. Instrumentals will always get mixed again so, again, I don't trip on getting it exact.

Just saying, what you heard from me is not the best I can get out of these monitors and if you are a good mixing engineer, you can do better than me at my best.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Just ordered the Dynaudios to give them a fair shot against the adams. If I don't like em, I'll swap them out for some adams. Think I'll go 2.1 with either brand once I get some bass traps set up.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Getting a pair of ADAM A7 monitors turned out to be one of the most expensive purchases for me. They sounded so good that I threw away my large floor standing monitors (custom design) and started to listen with A7:s connected to Genelec 7071A sub (big boy…). After a while I started to crave for more SPL, so I got ADAM S3A and moved the A7:s back to the desk. After I started to get those S3A's protection circuits going a few times (did I hear you say I play loud? What?) I decided I need bigger boxes after all, so in came the PMC IB2S. So the expenditure is now over 10000€… And I thought those custom monitors I originally had were good...

A7 are now still my near fields of choice, doing double duty as MCH rear channels. By the way, the signal is still routed via that Genelec 7071A, giving flat response to 15 Hz in my room. ALL near fields need a sub… Even midfields.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I retract my statement about no one finding dynaudios fatiguing. Here are a few

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/1050266-post3.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/388197-post8.html

https://www.dubstepforum.com/forum/v...p?f=8&t=167546

Last edited by Project Lost; 5th March 2014 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Links
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My old dynaudio BM15A are still in use, sweet sounding and 0 hear fatigue. This last point was my priority when I bought them and I tested a lot in the same price range (15 years ago...)
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I have heard amazing things about the 15a but I fear my room is too small for it. What is your experience with the bm15a when being played at low volume?
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
On a small room it is better to close the bass reflex event with the rubber buffer (supplied) or the basses will become too fat.

I used to work as low as I can, depending on music style. I used them in 3 different rooms, the last one being the worse sounding but amazingly beautifull with large glasses everywere on a wonderfull landscape

I still have my NS10 to A/B the sensitives areas.

Last thing, they are rock solid. Bought them in 98, never have a problem.
Old 6th March 2014
GAS
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I owned a pair of Dynaudio bm5a's and although they were good for me at the time, I didnt love them. The main thing was everything sounded good on them, which left my mixes lacking.

Another issue was low freq. I wanted to have tangible bass and adding a sub always sounds disconnected and weird. So many people I know that use a sub are always futzing with the placement, phase, and level.

I highly recommend going with speakers that have a large sub driver like at least a 10. 12'' are great. Of course, when you go that big, you will want to have a three way speaker.

A good option is to check out used hifi speakers with those qualities. You may find something badass while spending much less than "studio monitors".

-George
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS ➑️
I owned a pair of Dynaudio bm5a's and although they were good for me at the time, I didnt love them. The main thing was everything sounded good on them, which left my mixes lacking.

Another issue was low freq. I wanted to have tangible bass and adding a sub always sounds disconnected and weird. So many people I know that use a sub are always futzing with the placement, phase, and level.

I highly recommend going with speakers that have a large sub driver like at least a 10. 12'' are great. Of course, when you go that big, you will want to have a three way speaker.

A good option is to check out used hifi speakers with those qualities. You may find something badass while spending much less than "studio monitors".

-George
Just out of curiosity, what did you get to replace them? I am seriously thinking about a second set of monitors. I have some Tannoy Reveals but the amp is blow on one, can't source a used single speaker. A pair is still really cheap but if I buy a pair, I may as well go with something else. I feel the Tannoys are really similar to my Dynaudio's as well but it's hard to compare with only one working speaker.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A studio I used to record at that a buddy of mine owns used to use dynaudio's, and then switched to Adams and never looked back. I've owned m-Audio's, yamahas, mackies, genelecs, and now Adam a7x's. Wasn't in love with them at first. But then I read they needed to be burned in, and I let me play for about 100 hours straight. Even just that little bit smoothed them out, made them less fatiguing and just overall more pleasant to work with, and now I love them. I do think I'll add a sub at some point (I did an EDM record recently and could have stood for more bass).
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
From listening to the Adams, I feel like they would be really good mixing tools. How are they for producing/writing electronic music. I felt that genelecs would be great if I was purely doing mixing/mastering but I did not enjoy producing on them. This is where I feel dynaudios may have the upper hand, although they probably aren't the best for mixing/mastering.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I've had the Dynaudios for a few days now. So far they're my favorite monitors I've tried. I can tell they are still breaking in but they get better and better everyday. They aren't as razor sharp accurate as the Genelecs, but that's what I like about them. With the Dynaudios, I keep wanting to turn them up; completely opposite to the 8050a. A bit more warmer sound. More vibey for producing music. I have noticed some weird things going on in the low-mid bass like 50-150 Hz, but again, it could just be my room or that they aren't broken in all the way.

I am somewhat tempted to order a pair of Focal solo6s based on what 3rd Degree has said, "My only regret was not at least exploring Focal because it seems like people who like the BM5a's love Focals". I do love the Dynaudio sound. Nice, smooth, non-fatiguing, and I can definitely hear differences in quality going from mediocre mainstream masters to amazing masters. I just feel like there might be some small details that I'm not picking up on with these monitors.

Last edited by Project Lost; 19th March 2014 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 19th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've had the Dynaudios for a few days now. So far they're my favorite monitors I've tried. I can tell they are still breaking in but they get better and better everyday. They aren't as razor sharp accurate as the Genelecs, but that's what I like about them. With the Dynaudios, I keep wanting to turn them up; completely opposite to the 8050a. A bit more warmer sound. More vibey for producing music. I have noticed some weird things going on in the low-mid bass like 50-150 Hz, but again, it could just be my room or that they aren't broken in all the way.

I am somewhat tempted to order a pair of Focal solo6s based on what 3rd Degree has said, "My only regret was not at least exploring Focal because it seems like people who like the BM5a's love Focals". I do love the Dynaudio sound. Nice, smooth, non-fatiguing, and I can definitely hear differences in quality going from mediocre mainstream masters to amazing masters. I just feel like there might be some small details that I'm not picking up on with these monitors.
I was in the market for some monitors this year. I was initially thinking the Adam A7X but in speaking with two vendors that I used, when I asked them for recommendations, they both said Focal.

I listened to both the Adam A7X and the Focal Solo6 Be and settled on the Focals.

Why?

To my ears the Adams were more hyped in the highs. One of the reference tracks I listened to was recorded all analog to tape. With the Adams the tape hiss was very noticeable. On the Focals the hiss was there but it didn't hit me like the Adams did.

That same reference track had some heavy bass from the kick drum and while I listened to the Adams I felt like somebody kept turning the air conditioning on because of wind coming from the bass ports. On the Focals the punch was still there but I did feel like my head was sticking out the window of a moving car.

I also felt the Focals revealed a bit more detailed. I have been listening to Fleetwood Mac's Rumors since my Dad had it on 8-track and with the Focals I was hearing things I had never heard before little things like what sounded like tape echo on the bass in Christine MvVie's "Oh Daddy."

Also the stereo separation was more noticeable to me on the Focals when listening to Fleetwood Mac. I would close my eyes while I listened and I could better hear the placement of the instruments.

My experience and what I heard was consistent with the feedback I had gotten from the vendors I was working with.

That was why I chose the Focals over the Adams.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I agree with u about the khs not being loud enough but I loved them but I mix at relatively low volumes so I stuck with them n jus bought hs80s to hear music loud

They make kh 310 but they are expensive
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks mworkman for the detailed description. Those who use focal solos, would you say that they are good for producing (think vibey) or are they more just a tool for mixing/mastering? The focals are twice as much as the dyns but I am hoping to find a pair of monitors that I won't want to upgrade in 6 months. I'll save more in the long run if I just spend the cash now to get something that will keep me satisfied for a while.

Also, how would they fare with electronic music. The only big electronic music producer I know of that uses focal solos is Elay Lazutkin and he makes some awesome techno/minimal. Very articulate percussive sounds and bass with very controlled reverb, definitely a top notch producer. Feast your ears on this: Elay Lazutkin - Ibiza (Original Mix) - YouTube
πŸ“ Reply