Quantcast
New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
My order for a77x still hasn't shipped. I wonder how long they're going to be backordered. I'm slightly tempted to cancel the order and go the a7x + sennheiser hd 600 route since the senn's have a mail in rebate for the month of april. I also found out that Bonobo uses a7x and makes some amazing productions.
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Someone let me borrow the a7x to try in my studio and the x-art tweeter is amazing. Best I've heard in my studio by far. The only problem is, half of my music library sticks out as low quality on these haha. I think I will opt for a77x or a8x for more low end. Does anyone have direct experience comparing a8x and a77x? Which has a better low end (extension and accuracy)? I would assume that the larger woofer would give the a8x an advantage. Any input on these two monitors will be much appreciated.
Old 25th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I think you will be more than pleased with the a77x but if u can push more money...go for event opal and your search will be over
ECM
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Lost ➑️
Someone let me borrow the a7x to try in my studio and the x-art tweeter is amazing. Best I've heard in my studio by far. The only problem is, half of my music library sticks out as low quality on these haha. I think I will opt for a77x or a8x for more low end. Does anyone have direct experience comparing a8x and a77x? Which has a better low end (extension and accuracy)? I would assume that the larger woofer would give the a8x an advantage. Any input on these two monitors will be much appreciated.

Not really, A77X is just as good in the low end, but the big difference is in the mid range especially, the A8X have a much bigger dip (More like lacking bite in the mid range) Where the A77X are fine there. A77X over the A8X is the way to go really.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I used to have Bm6a mk1's. They are really nice, but the midrange is a bit to scooped. The PSI A17m's are amazing. I'm now testing Sonodyne Sm100's. Great, natural yet detailed speakers. They are totally unbelievable for the price I think.
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I will suggest Yamaha Hs50m
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
If you're used to listening on "midrangey" small nearfields, any speaker system with a wider response is going to sound a bit scooped at first. Of course there are some that really are scooped, but I don't think the A77X falls into that category. I'm a little biased, because that's what I'm using at the moment, but I'm still amazed at what the A77X delivers for the price. And the size.
Old 26th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I compared the A7X to the A8X and although the 8s go a bit lower, I didn't like what they did to the mids in comparison. I'd take the 7s with a sub before ever going with the 8s. Just my opinion.
Old 26th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordnext ➑️
I will suggest Yamaha Hs50m
I already have hs50m's. Keeping them as my "B" monitors. They don't come close to the a7x in terms of sound quality IMHO. Just keeping them as a ns10 style reference. They are also really sensitive to dirty power lines and need a power conditioner in my studio.

I think I'll skip the a8x and jump straight to the a77x. It seems the main take away from this is that if I like the a7x, then the a77x is the natural step up for me in terms of better mid and bass response. I'll give an update once I get a pair of them in my studio. Would like to try the opals, and they are in my price range, but I honestly can't find anything I don't like about the x-art tweeter or the a7x mids so I think I will have the best luck staying in the adam family.
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I really love the way Dynaudio BM5/BM6 monitors sound...smooth, spacious and clear. Plenty of vibe to write with too.

I would own them if it weren't for the low end!

Bass is just too sluggish for me.

On some tracks it feels like the bassline is up to around 20-30 ticks late...

I create dance music and this is unacceptable, it is critical that I know where everything is landing. I need a dry, tight representation of my mix.
Old 27th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Really like the Adam A7X. haven't heard the Dynaudios, but they are more expensive. Heard great things about them though. The F7's are a great budget option.
Old 31st May 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Well I think my monitor search has finally come to an end. After going through Yamaha hs50m, JBL LSR308, Neumann KH120, Genelec 8050a, Dynaudio bm6a mkii, and Focal Twin6 Be, the monitors that fit my ears and studio the best are the Adam A7x monitors. They beat the others out by a mile (again this is just an opinion. I realize people have different ears, brains, studios, live in different climates, consume differing amounts of coffee/tobacco and other mind altering substances, etc.). Now I just need to find a good sub to use with them, thinking either Eve or Adam.
Attached Thumbnails
New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio-yamaha.jpg   New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio-jbl.jpg   New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio-neumann.jpg   New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio-genelec.jpg   New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio-dynaudio.jpg  

New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio-focal.jpg   New Monitors... Thinking Adam or Dynaudio-adam.jpg  
Old 31st May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
... the monitors that fit my ears and studio the best are the Adam A7x monitors. They beat the others out by a mile (again this is just an opinion. ...
Excellent choice!! In my personal and somewhat biased opinion.
Very nice.
Old 1st June 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Does anyone have recommendations or warnings for subs to go with a7x monitors? So many choices. I'm worried about using Eve because they have DSP causing latency and possibly aliasing artifacts. Dynaudio bm9s mkii looks good. I like that it's a sealed cabinet.
Old 8th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have a set of Dynaudio BM12As, you could say that they're a little bit hi-fi (ish), but they are easy to work with and mixes translate well on different systems (stuff mixed on the 12AS sounded good through my friend's ATC SCM100S). Possibly the "least fatiguing" tweeter ever made!
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dynaudio BM15's passive w/hafler p7000 amp also got the BM9 dynaudio sub…. 15's cost us 1400 used, sub 600 used, amp 250 used… rocking for 2250 also have a pair w/o sub for a>b and a pair of NS10's… and horror tones but almost never use them.. no fatigue !!!
Old 9th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Does anyone have recommendations or warnings for subs to go with a7x monitors? So many choices. I'm worried about using Eve because they have DSP causing latency and possibly aliasing artifacts. Dynaudio bm9s mkii looks good. I like that it's a sealed cabinet.
I wouldn't be worried about aliasing in a sub but you likely have a very valid point regarding latency.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks mworkman for the detailed description. Those who use focal solos, would you say that they are good for producing (think vibey) or are they more just a tool for mixing/mastering? The focals are twice as much as the dyns but I am hoping to find a pair of monitors that I won't want to upgrade in 6 months. I'll save more in the long run if I just spend the cash now to get something that will keep me satisfied for a while.

Also, how would they fare with electronic music. The only big electronic music producer I know of that uses focal solos is Elay Lazutkin and he makes some awesome techno/minimal. Very articulate percussive sounds and bass with very controlled reverb, definitely a top notch producer. Feast your ears on this: Elay Lazutkin - Ibiza (Original Mix) - YouTube
I know you are looking for a response on the Solos, however I have the Twins. BUT.. I have listened to all of these monitors including a few others side by side numerous times. Focals to me aren't "vibey", they are very honest monitors. This was a very hard adjustment for me coming from Genelecs, but I'm starting to get used to it now. I personally think the Solos may sound better than the Twins. The solos, to me, have a more forward and focused sound; not saying that the Twins don't, but they are more "well rounded" if you want.

My original plan was to guy the Adam A77x's which like the Twins are just like their little brothers just with an extended low end. I really like the open and airy sound of the Adams, always have, but it's the P11/22's and s3 and up is where it's at. A friend of mine was determined to get new monitors after my purchase and I honestly tried to talk him into the Dyn BM6's. I think they sound really good and very close to Genelecs (which I've used for 15 plus years). He picked up the Solos for himself and loves them, but he is a true Gearslut if anyone ever knew one. (So take that purchase with a grain of salt). I like the Focals if you can swing it. Save and buy what you want at the end of the day. No point in buying with future plans to upgrade. Get what you're going to get even if it takes you a little longer than you want.

Good luck in your decision and remember to buy what you want and feed what you need, because in the long run (especially with gear) what you want is probably what you needed in the first place!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you mean latency between mains and sub? I would think the whole signal passes through DSP before dividing it between the sub and the mains, keeping them in step.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well I think my monitor search has finally come to an end. After going through Yamaha hs50m, JBL LSR308, Neumann KH120, Genelec 8050a, Dynaudio bm6a mkii, and Focal Twin6 Be, the monitors that fit my ears and studio the best are the Adam A7x monitors. They beat the others out by a mile (again this is just an opinion. I realize people have different ears, brains, studios, live in different climates, consume differing amounts of coffee/tobacco and other mind altering substances, etc.). Now I just need to find a good sub to use with them, thinking either Eve or Adam.
Hi - did you test the A7x against their lower F line? Curious how close they are to each other. I owned the original A7s in the past. Thx.
Old 9th June 2014
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Dynaudio's are Super Muddy in the Bottom, muck
they have this wool blanket over the sound. I end up making mixes sound small and weak framed! Not into it...

I recommend the Focal Monitors over these, woof monsters.
πŸ“ Reply