Quantcast
Should I get an Eventide H3000? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I get an Eventide H3000?
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Should I get an Eventide H3000?

I've been tracking a lot of pop and r&b vocals. Really wishing I had a H3000 to get better sounds.

I really like Jaycen Joshua approach to vocals. (Especially Chris Brown 2012 and Sevyn Streeter EP)

Want to get some hardware to help me get closer to his sound.

In terms of Time Based Processors I have the Lexicon plugins, sound toys, and waves bundle.

I really need patches that are ready to go.

Do you think its still worth it?

Can I get away with tracking with the plugin?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
While it is hard to beat the H3000 hardware, the plugin is actually quite good.
It only includes a small amount of the algorithms from the hardware, but it does do micropitchshifting, which is the classic Eventide effect commonly used on vocals.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The recently released Soundtoys Microshift was designed by the some of the same people who programmed the original H3000, so at least worth a demo if you haven't tried it. To my ears it sounds just as good if not better.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
....if soundtoys, lexicon and waves don't do the job for you, not sure an eventide plug in will make any difference...

hardware might help though....
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
the trouble with effects plug-ins is that they are way too linear - the H3000 has this swimming quality about especially the phaser alog.
It just has 'that sound" to it that I have never heard in any plug-in.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd say the only thing you really need to think about when buying an H3000 is the fact that internally it can be as complex if not more complex then a full on Synthesizer, throw in the 3500 programs Eprom and for just spinning thru presets, you'd have at least 18 months of fun, add a sampler board, 3 years of fun.....creating your own patches...! Priceless! More so with Mod factory 1 & 2. You'd want a an H3000 DSE or DSX or DFX etc.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
you’d want an original H3000 with yellow knobs with full kitchen sink plus upgrades

classic sound with all the patches = best of both worlds
will cost ya 2k+ but you cannot not have this in your studio
Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy ➑️
....if soundtoys, lexicon and waves don't do the job for you, not sure an eventide plug in will make any difference...

hardware might help though....
I was concerned about tracking through plugins. But I guess in reality the H3000 is a digital processor just like plugins.

I just need plug and play patches.

Can I get away with using the plugin?

I looked on eBay and some hardware units sold for less than $1000. At that price they look very attractive.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I really miss having one. Great for creating vocal textures. But what I really, really miss is having an H910 (or two).
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
...sorry, but you got top plug ins already.....and if you don't get there where you want, you do something wrong or it's just not working for you this way.....hardware makes a diiference and if it's only for the fact that you leave the box once again and back...
and in case of the h3000 hardware it makes a huge difference because the plug in version is not half the options you'll get with the old original and, as mentioned here before, these old converters and the old chipset do something you can't achieve with plug ins....and you don't need another plug in you already got in the end...
Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy ➑️
...sorry, but you got top plug ins already.....and if you don't get there where you want, you do something wrong or it's just not working for you this way.....hardware makes a diiference and if it's only for the fact that you leave the box once again and back...
and in case of the h3000 hardware it makes a huge difference because the plug in version is not half the options you'll get with the old original and, as mentioned here before, these old converters and the old chipset do something you can't achieve with plug ins....and you don't need another plug in you already got in the end...
I think you are missing my point.

I want to track through the H3000.

I am concerned about using the plugin for tracking.

I can get there but tracking with the hardware makes more sense. IMO
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get one. You'll love it. Do you NEED it? No. Will you want to run everything through it? yup.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Source of inspiration

Not only it is a great unit (unbeatable with any plugin), it is a source of inspiration. You can really change any kind of sound from insipid to exciting one.
And the best thing is you will be happier with it
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There's someone here selling their 3000. It's a later model D/SE, which is a very good one to get.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9904142-post27.html
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel ➑️
you’d want an original H3000 with yellow knobs with full kitchen sink plus upgrades

classic sound with all the patches = best of both worlds
will cost ya 2k+ but you cannot not have this in your studio
Why an H3000 w/ Yellow knobs, that's already throwing you back 10-12 years on the power the H3000 unit has taken in someone's rack and taken possibly a beating from "Studio to Live", it also most likely will have Big Rom 1 & 2 and then your chasing H3500 Roms as well as requiring skill to solder the traces so the new Roms & Software Rom will work! Hmmm? There have been many incarnations of the H3000 though a D/SE and D/SX or 3500 DFX/E are the last batch 1999-2002 models (Eventide actually dropped pricing by 3$K in 1999 to get all H3000 stock out the door and 2 years later in 2002/3 the price on DSP4500/4000 so all 3000/4000 stock would be gone for the Amazing new Orville). I know I would much rather have a 12 year old unit then a 24 year old unit! Add to that the fact DS/E/X/FX/E/B/B-Lite will already have O.S 2.13 and you simply require 3500 eproms. Unless your looking for a 3500 version or a B version to use with Tape for Time/Com/Exp etc.....Then a 3000 Unit going way back with Capstan Control might be your only option. More so the DS/E/X/FXE Versions etc will accept a Sampler Board as an addition. Older H3000's require much more servicing (Eventide Servicing) as opposed to your own servicing!. (It also should be noted H3000/3500 Sample boards are made up of Eventide's own RAM Chips).

Regards
TheLastByte
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Last Byte is right dead on!!!
Go for the last H3000 production as you won't take risks on older/more working time units that you WILL also have a hard time to update to latest software too (pre-H3000S/SE units require jumpers tracks to be cut... a PITA!).
So... aim to an H3000D/SE with full algorithms/presets on board (they come this way). An H3000D/SX is also nice and easily upgradable to D/SE. The H3500D/FX has the sampler board too and very long delay time on the Mod Factory algorithms. And needs no upgrades... the thing has them all!
Mind you:
-sampler boards are almost impossible to find. Eventide doesn't have them.
-D/SE Conv Kits are no longer available from the Eventide Store. Copied Eproms pop up on used markets...
An H3000 D/SE is *definitely* the target! You may spend 100 or 200 buck more for it but in the end you'll save on upgrades and hassle AND you'll get a newer unit... saving on possible repairs needed in short time too.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had an H3000. I consider it a one-trick pony. The reverb and chorus aren't so great. Where I think it shined is on vocals. It can do all kinds of widening and slight pitchshifting/doubling FX. So I think it's good for subtle widening and thickening, but not much else. Actually, it's probably the best machine out there for that purpose.

I'll have another someday. It'll be my dedicated vocal processor.
Old 14th March 2014

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I admit I have never fooled around with a H3000 - so i'm wide open to attacks from people who will just say I won't know until I try one ...

But i've studied the manual to see if I want to go there, and frankly, I can't see any compelling reason to get one. Widening .. slight pitchshifting, doubling ... I can do it all with plugins, very - very well. OK, I have a Bricasti reverb - so i'm hardly going to be wowed by the reverb. Delays, modulation ... do it all with plugins or stompboxes. Shimmer etc? Why not just use offline rendering with a high quality pitch shift algorithm that blows away any realtime pitchshifter, and feed that to your best reverb ...

I'm very into pitchshifting and octaving and tricks ... I own a bunch of TC Helicon and Line6 stuff for live mainly, but they work so well as studio tools I'm just not seeing any reason to get an old school H3000.

I fully appreciate it's place in history ... there was a time when it was the only gig in town. But surely, we have moved on, and I don't want to slavishly recreate somebody elses sound ... so why should I bother?

Feel free to enlighten me, but I really think this ship has sailed a long time ago ...
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi ➑️
I admit I have never fooled around with a H3000 - so i'm wide open to attacks from people who will just say I won't know until I try one ...

But i've studied the manual to see if I want to go there, and frankly, I can't see any compelling reason to get one. Widening .. slight pitchshifting, doubling ... I can do it all with plugins, very - very well. OK, I have a Bricasti reverb - so i'm hardly going to be wowed by the reverb. Delays, modulation ... do it all with plugins or stompboxes. Shimmer etc? Why not just use offline rendering with a high quality pitch shift algorithm that blows away any realtime pitchshifter, and feed that to your best reverb ...

I'm very into pitchshifting and octaving and tricks ... I own a bunch of TC Helicon and Line6 stuff for live mainly, but they work so well as studio tools I'm just not seeing any reason to get an old school H3000.

I fully appreciate it's place in history ... there was a time when it was the only gig in town. But surely, we have moved on, and I don't want to slavishly recreate somebody elses sound ... so why should I bother?

Feel free to enlighten me, but I really think this ship has sailed a long time ago ...
Ha, I'm not sure where to start except to say that you will most likely change your mind after you have tried one.
I think a large part of it's charm comes from the actual hardware components, being older 16 bit, and that's where plugins will have a hard time giving you the same mojo.
And besides all the well known presets, it is brimming with wonderful effects that are very highly usable. It has a lot of trick's up it's sleeve.

It's worth noting that when you look at current pictures of the world's top studio's, you will still see a 3000 in the rack. At least one.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Don't overpay... Hardware wich is 20 years+ is likely to fail soon...
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I can do it all with plugins, very - very well.
This is why I sold mine. The only reason I want another one is that I hate mixing ITB. The H3000 does sound really good though.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also... I know I shouldn't say this, but those Sound Toys plugins sound just about as good as the H3000. That's hard to admit coming from a hardware guy, but the Sound Toys stuff is good, and plus it's easier to edit/navigate and you can get FX chains going on. The H3000 is limited to 1 effect only.

The Eclipse and above Vs. Sound Toys however, is a different story.
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur ➑️
Nope, don't do that, nor do that with Neve, API, Fairchild, Pulse Techniques, Neumann, Schoeps, Manley, AMS, Marshall, Lexicon etc..or...anything! Just get a UAD card...Much easier!

Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur ➑️

Humans wich are 20 years+ is likely to fail soon...

Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, lovely. I need more than one! Im trying to figure out how recall works..
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It is said the internal analog circuitry adds to the mojo in the H3000......
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted #255447
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Come on.....Buy that H3000!
Seriously,
This is the problem with GS and people whom post prices, eBay Vendors continually scour the GS pages for easy pray "Thread Approved" pricing and what was once a $6,200.00 H3000 SE 25 years ago, comes back around, 8 months ago a H3000 D/SX was $1,100.00 - to $1300.00 and 2 years ago they were under $800.00 bucks! Now Eddie Van Halen's H3000 SE is asking $4,600.00 with "No Eddie Mojo" save he jized near it! Now it's around $2,550.00 though still not sold. A decent H3000 D/SE or D/SX H3000 DFX/E with Sampling is sitting around $1500.00! Worth it! Damn yes! Just depends on the price you pay! Maybe all GS Pricing should be made via a PM type app so some market forces such as the notorious eBay Seller like "Flower Pot Guy" can't roll off a PCM-70 for $1300.00 or an SPX-90 for $550.00 (10% discount naturally!) or a Urei 545 for $1,655.00 at only...... 13% Off! And even then....Just for you!

Postage & Handeling 29% extra Tariff:
No Insurance Offered:
No Returns:
99.99 percent Positive seller in last 6 years.....etc...!
Old 18th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Your main limitation is exactly what you state here:
"I admit I have never fooled around with a H3000"
You have no idea about the sound you get from this device!
It's pretty much the same reason why you have Bricasti... because it sounds great.
And btw the Bricasti doesn't cover ALL reverb land. The H3000 will get you covered in that dept. too, with delay matrix reverbs the Bricasti can't just do.
So... a nice addition in that area too.
Delays? Simply spectacular, with detuning or modulation or diffusion and filters.
Stereo widening? probably the best ever in the industry.
Pitch shifting? Try any instrument thru it and you will know why plugins are not there.
Exotics? Can't get any better than this unless you shoot for a bigger Eventide.

www.italodeangelis.com
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The D/SE is my favorite FX box by far. It really does an incredible amount of things well.
If someone can't see a compelling reason to get one but hasn't tried it, why are they commenting?
πŸ“ Reply