Quantcast
Should I get an Eventide H3000? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I get an Eventide H3000?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I just scored a d/se, waiting for delivery......
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You won't regret the H3000 at all. Both it and the Eclipse are top notch. I have never tried the higher end models.
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Maniac

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
The days of hardware-based digital contraptions is rapidly approaching an end. Eventually apps will run on easy to use-and-update portable computers that can be deployed easily in any circumstance. For instance, I have four digital pedals from a well-regarded company and I don't use them anymore. They are hard to use live. they take up way too much pedal board space and are expensive and unreliable (my mod pedal keeps doing a computer freak-out, and it is an expensive pedal - bullcrap on that. Never again).
Digital effects are only sustainable if they can be loaded - en masse - onto a laptop, PC or tablet device. Having separate digital devices, each with their own stupid USB connection and 'update' scheme, is not sustainable. within 10 years a person will be able to run their whole live rig from a phone-sized device. Eventide, Axe FX, whatever, on one device.
Until then, caveat emptor.
Old 19th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridelica ➑️
The days of hardware-based digital contraptions is rapidly approaching an end. Eventually apps will run on easy to use-and-update portable computers that can be deployed easily in any circumstance. For instance, I have four digital pedals from a well-regarded company and I don't use them anymore. They are hard to use live. they take up way too much pedal board space and are expensive and unreliable (my mod pedal keeps doing a computer freak-out, and it is an expensive pedal - bullcrap on that. Never again).
Digital effects are only sustainable if they can be loaded - en masse - onto a laptop, PC or tablet device. Having separate digital devices, each with their own stupid USB connection and 'update' scheme, is not sustainable. within 10 years a person will be able to run their whole live rig from a phone-sized device. Eventide, Axe FX, whatever, on one device.

Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
DO IT! I have two and love them!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Didn't people say this 10 years ago? Or erm... 40 Years ago? Or was it 50 Years ago?

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They are hard to use live.
Really?
Quote:
they take up way too much pedal board space and are expensive and unreliable.
Um, no.

Quote:
Digital effects are only sustainable if they can be loaded - en masse - onto a laptop, PC or tablet device. Having separate digital devices, each with their own stupid USB connection and 'update' scheme, is not sustainable.
Sustainable? My H3000D/SE and Orville have been sustainable for YEARS....
Quote:
within 10 years a person will be able to run their whole live rig from a phone-sized device.
How does that help us now?
Quote:
Oh good a Latin lesson.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have four digital pedals from a well-regarded company and I don't use them anymore. They are hard to use live.

That depends on YOU! A digital device needs some setup and programming work, then it's done. I don't see why they would be hard to use in a live context unless you explain us what you do/how/what you expect...
Been using digital fx (rack only) since 1984, even in very complex setups, live on stage, learned how to and never looked back. Never had any "hard to use" feeling.

they take up way too much pedal board space and are expensive and unreliable (my mod pedal keeps doing a computer freak-out, and it is an expensive pedal - bullcrap on that. Never again).

Looks like you bought big size pedals (Eventide Factors or Strymon TL/BS/M).
Something you could have considered before buying IF space is an issue!
Going rack is another option! Sorry for the broken one... unfortunately it may happen... although my 20+ years old racks never gave me such problems.
Expensive? OH YES! I wholeheartedly agree! For 3 of them I can buy an used Eclipse and get rid of so many troubles/wires/power/one interface covers it all/much better converters/etc...
I see pedalboards these days one could get an H8000 and save money too!!!

Digital effects are only sustainable if they can be loaded - en masse - onto a laptop, PC or tablet device.

A very personal opinion.
Why would be that?
I have definitely changed many more computers than effects boxes in the years! And I love to NOT depend on third parties (hardware/software OSs) to run MY stuff I have payed for!!! It runs fine... while you wait for the next OS for your computer, bugs fixing, more money to pay updates to run what you have already payed for... and good luck on stage!
My Bel/Roland/Korg/Eventide/Lexicon/old TC/ run spectacularly well... for free!

Having separate digital devices, each with their own stupid USB connection and 'update' scheme, is not sustainable.

Why?
People updates/upgrades hardware and software all the time and each has its own routine for that.
You seem to be very stressed by simple operations! User error or inexperience, maybe?

within 10 years a person will be able to run their whole live rig from a phone-sized device. Eventide, Axe FX, whatever, on one device.

Maybe so... 'cause the industry seems to be very avid to get there and save a lot! You haven't considered the SOUND good hardware has... owing to analog components and converters quality... which you'd need some serious audio interface to partially cover.
In the meantime I suggest you enjoy true quality sounding effects, not pedals really, something higher level and cheaper these days... 'cuz the day your sad prophecy will be real, you'll feel sad you haven't.
Until then... you've been friendly advised
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have had a D/SE and previously a D/SX for maybe 15 years. Even then people were telling me it would fail and that other stuff was a "better" effects unit.
I have found nothing that I would rather throw drums through to create good and nasty drum sounds. I have found nothing better for mod delays, I have found nothing better for widening and fattening synths and I even like it as a reverb.
I should have heeded all that advice 15 years ago and not bothered I suppose. Even now, why not? If it is looked after, I think they are as trustworthy as any new processor and why miss out?
Never had a problem with my units and if my D/SE exploded into a ball of fire now, I would have got my moneys worth multiple times over.
Oh and I have had WAY more strife with software, computers being out of date and OS updates than with any of my hardware units.
Another small point is that I mix on a desk and hardware suits that better than a software version. USB?

In any case, you go your route and let others go theirs. I really only judge units primarily on sound. The rest is less important to me.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridelica They are hard to use live.
Simple!

RTFM!
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Never had a problem with my units and if my D/SE exploded into a ball of fire now, I would have got my moneys worth multiple times over.
Damn right Mr. Morley
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's interesting, there seems to be two different groups when it comes to the H3000.
Those who love it, and those who haven't tried it yet.

It sort of explains why this group exists. The only religion I belong to.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ide-h3000.html
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh well

I got a h3000 with all kitchen sink plus upgrades and i cant wait to get another h3000se. No software (and yes i own most of them) will ever give me the smiles like a h3000. So no dont get one, get 2!

And no ebay prices are not the reference, ever. And no, vintage king and other boutique shops are not either. I cant wait for a dedicated pro audio ebay to finally emerge.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is like the boredom thread for H3000 owners and new users!
Lol.......!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel ➑️
I cant wait for a dedicated pro audio ebay to finally emerge.
It has: Reverb: the marketplace for used, vintage, and rare guitars, basses, amps, percussion, effects. | Reverb
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i mean if you go to their pro audio section you get M-Audio...

thats for consumers

not professionals
Old 21st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel ➑️
i mean if you go to their pro audio section you get M-Audio...

thats for consumers

not professionals
Yes and you also get MCI 1/2" tape machines, Focusrite, Neumann UM 57 Microphones, AKG C414s, Manley, Apogee, 3M 2" 24 Track Analogue Tape Machine, Avalon, API, Summit Audio, and more....

The site is fairly new and growing, it will build.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Does anyone know how the Eventide software H3000 Factory plugin compares to the hardware H3000?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The factory plugin does not imo sound quite as sweet as the h3k.

Whether this is down to slightly different dsp or the sound of the h3k analogue side having a fairly significant impact I am no sure.

Is it usable , certainly , although I found my self using the plugin more for say stereo width tricks and other 'utility' type processing rather than for its delays/pitchshifting etc type shenanigans.

I have the anthology suite as TDM and feel the same applies to the other plugins the orville reverb is 'good' but not as good as my old orville was or what replaced it an H8000.

If you can get it cheap I think its worth having in the arsenal. But I would not pay full retail for it. There is fun to be had with the h910/949/omnipressor stuff's to.

I do not feel the blackhole plugin sounds as good as the hardware either. Saying that I do not feel that the space pedal also quite sounds as good as the rack stuff either , new or old eclipse included.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreen ➑️
The factory plugin does not imo sound quite as sweet as the h3k.

Whether this is down to slightly different dsp or the sound of the h3k analogue side having a fairly significant impact I am no sure.

Is it usable , certainly , although I found my self using the plugin more for say stereo width tricks and other 'utility' type processing rather than for its delays/pitchshifting etc type shenanigans.

I have the anthology suite as TDM and feel the same applies to the other plugins the orville reverb is 'good' but not as good as my old orville was or what replaced it an H8000.

If you can get it cheap I think its worth having in the arsenal. But I would not pay full retail for it. There is fun to be had with the h910/949/omnipressor stuff's to.

I do not feel the blackhole plugin sounds as good as the hardware either. Saying that I do not feel that the space pedal also quite sounds as good as the rack stuff either , new or old eclipse included.

Wisdom in Words!!!
Old 4th December 2014
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by epotts06 ➑️
I've been tracking a lot of pop and r&b vocals. Really wishing I had a H3000 to get better sounds.

I really like Jaycen Joshua approach to vocals. (Especially Chris Brown 2012 and Sevyn Streeter EP)

Want to get some hardware to help me get closer to his sound.

In terms of Time Based Processors I have the Lexicon plugins, sound toys, and waves bundle.

I really need patches that are ready to go.

Do you think its still worth it?

Can I get away with tracking with the plugin?

Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind spending some time with unit, you'll love it.
As others have responded, there's a learning curve...
Of course, once you're getting acclimated to its feel...
You will emote with the box, which is when it becomes a powerful tool
Best of luck
Old 4th December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 16th January 2016

🎧 5 years
H3000 is an extremely powerful sounding device. Have not yet heard anything that comes close to it. The eventide software doesnt have the warmth, thickness and depth of the hardware unit. It can be noisy, that said its a very nice hiss adds more warmth. At the prices they are selling for now its a no brainer. I just bought my 3rd unit for 450$......
Old 16th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by epotts06 ➑️
I've been tracking a lot of pop and r&b vocals. Really wishing I had a H3000 to get better sounds.

I really like Jaycen Joshua approach to vocals. (Especially Chris Brown 2012 and Sevyn Streeter EP)

Want to get some hardware to help me get closer to his sound.

In terms of Time Based Processors I have the Lexicon plugins, sound toys, and waves bundle.

I really need patches that are ready to go.

Do you think its still worth it?

Can I get away with tracking with the plugin?

Thanks in advance!
You can do what you need to get done with what you have and without a hardware H3000, that said you should get it anyway. And then lock yourself in a room with it for a week. It will change your life.
Old 29th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I got my H3000 D/SE for free a couple of years, I'm sooo blessed :D

This machine is so divine and magical.
It has none of the plugin "clean-tight-on-the-beat-but-dead" sound, it is so alive and moulds around your instrument/vocals/beats instead of taking up the same spot as the plugins seems to do. That flat sound.

I read people kinda disliking the reverb on this beast, I think it sounds amazing on lead vocals and other stuff. scruffy but ALIVE!
Old 29th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieber ➑️
I got my H3000 D/SE for free a couple of years, I'm sooo blessed :D

This machine is so divine and magical.
It has none of the plugin "clean-tight-on-the-beat-but-dead" sound, it is so alive and moulds around your instrument/vocals/beats instead of taking up the same spot as the plugins seems to do. That flat sound.

I read people kinda disliking the reverb on this beast, I think it sounds amazing on lead vocals and other stuff. scruffy but ALIVE!
The H3000 can do AMAZING reverbs. But they need to be programmed and most people have a hard time doing that as verb algorithms work differently on the H3000 if compared to other processors.
πŸ“ Reply