Quantcast
What Micing Techniques do you use for Bi-Amp/Stereo Guitar Setups? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Micing Techniques do you use for Bi-Amp/Stereo Guitar Setups?
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
What Micing Techniques do you use for Bi-Amp/Stereo Guitar Setups?

What do you Gearslutz do about micing when presented with a client that has a stereo guitar rig (two amps with stereo effects)? What kind of methods and mic type choices do you prefer to make? Prefer to record each cab isolated, or use a stereo-miking method ala XY, Blumein etcera?

Thanks buddies.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
it depends...

two different amps with stereo fx, or a stereo amp set up with fx?
real stereo fx or wet/dry with two amps?

what type of music?
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Two different amps with stereo fx.

Also, in the setup in question, one amp switches channels from clean to overdriven to very distorted, while the other amp is one channel and stays semi-overdriven/cleanish.

Genre is shoegaze/dreampop/indie, but i'm open to hear tips from people that worked with other genres.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I just did a session with a stereo guitar rig. Went like so:

Guitar split to >Echoplex>Deluxe Reverb
>Line6 DL4>Fender Champ

Slightly different delay times on each. The amps were separated in booths. 421 on the deluxe, cascade fathead on the champ. The backside of the ribbon picked up just a hair of the other amp which made for some phase issues, but ultimately it worked out OK. Be very precise with the distance from each speaker cone--make sure they're the same for each amp, and take into account differences in the amp construction if necessary.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Put the amps close to each other, maybe a foot or two, and mic them up with a Blumlein set.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Every time I do a stereo guitar recording, I simply put the cabs next to each other (or I actually use a stereo cab) and put one sm57 on each speaker like I would a normal amp (right up to the grill cloth and in-between the cap and cone of the speakers). I pan them hard right and left and then use two condensers on opposite sides of the room, behind the cabs and pan them hard left and right for room ambiance (bring them up to taste).

If you want to hear what it sounds like with a clean, ambient guitar then I can give you a link to a demo we did on youtube.
πŸ“ Reply