TRADE* SP 404 for my EPS16+?

I currently own this setup

SP12(midi out)
To
Akai s950(midi in)

MPC2000(midi out)
To
Ensoniq EPS16+(midi in)

Im a Hip-Hop producer, mad in Love with the Lo-Fi, lower bit type of crunchy griddy feel. Im learning the Akai s950 right now, but do not know much at all of the Ensoniq EPS 16+. I was going to learn it after the950, but I just had a friend offer to trade HIS SP 404 for my Ensoniq..

I understand the EPS has the most memory time to sample with from my current setup, but Im already used to my 5 second limitation from my SP12 that long sample time isnt needed for me. Creati ity with shorter time is always dope. Im just crazy about pads, I LOVE pads, and playing my samples like that.

The 404 would be the slave to my MPC2000 if this trade happens. PLUS I really like the Portable feature for Live performances at shows or on the streets.

PROS/CONS please!

JaytheRumor
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Im leaning towards keeping my EPS16+... But I'm very interested in the SP 404/303 as far as portability for Live performance...

What are your guys thoughts on the original post tho?
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
last try.

BUMP
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
SP makes a good effects processor.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why on earth would you trade a beautyful old (let's say VINTAGE ) Ensoniq for any post-modern blinkin techno droid? Especially, if you have such a beautyful old school setup like you)????

I see no reason. At all.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks homies. Yeah, I just need to dedicate a couple days off work next to figure the EPS out
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't have any experience of the SP404 but but based on your requirements I would suggest sticking with the EPS16+. It's a classic piece of kit for hip hop production which asides from being mono and with less memory I believe is not that different from the ASR10, both machine machine have been used on countless classic hop hop tracks/albums. In addition to this, just like the later ASR10 the EPS16+ features great built-in effects which share the same technology as the DP2/DP4 effects units by Ensoniq which are highly regarded. With the use of third party software such as Waveboy the EPS-16 can also be use as a powerful effects unit for external sources and other units.
πŸ“ Reply