Quantcast
Surge Protector vs Power Conditioner vs Isolators vs Regulators vs Sinewave inverters - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Surge Protector vs Power Conditioner vs Isolators vs Regulators vs Sinewave inverters
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Surge Protector vs Power Conditioner vs Isolators vs Regulators vs Sinewave inverters

My small home studio has 5 active speakers (with built in 290W amp) Neumann KH310... takes input voltage 100 to 240V and my processor is a Motu Ultralite MK3 and 2 custom subwoofers (1000W each)

The mains power in India (220V/50Hz) isn't very good
- frequent surges and dips with diesel generators coming in and out along with factories nearby and sometimes even surges due to lightning.

I know for sure I need very good surge protection.
What should I get for good surge protection?

Do I need power conditioning?
Are the Furman PL 8 C E the ones to get?

What about all the other products being talked about?
I don't think I will need a voltage Regulator but what about Isolators?
some suggest Equi=Tech

Some say the best solution is to get a Sinewave inverter (online UPS) - but these can have their own hum and noise.

What is the recommended solution?
Please help.
Old 2nd March 2014
S21
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is there something you are hearing in your recordings, or are you just worried?
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I know I have a surge problem because my laser printer (which was not connected to the UPS) was toast when the grid power cut-out and the generator came back on...
and am not sure how much of protection the UPS will offer my HTPC and Sound Card..
but the active monitors...are not connected to the UPS... as the power rating is not enough...

so I'm worried to use them for any length of time due to fear of surges...

as for noise I hear a click or pop every time a major appliance like a blender or oven is switched on/off...
and i don't know if the clicks/pops will go away and if i'll get a lower noise floor if I use some of the things (conditioner or isolator or balanced power etc) being talked about here...
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The best solution to the problem may seem expensive, but it looks like in your situation there is no other way. You need a good online-UPS, for example, General Electric, MGE, Liebert. The power of this UPS - 3000VA a minimum what you need, but better - 5000VA, if your monitor system will operate close to maximum loudness. After the UPS you need to set a balanced transformer with similar power (VA). Transformer after UPS helps to isolate and purify the power from the possible RF-emissions, especially when the UPS is operating close to its maximum output power.
Conventional power conditioner or surge protector will be useless in your case and will not protect your expensive monitor system and other equipment.
I did it in my home studio, as had a similar problem with the power. Only this way helped completely. I'm not worried about my equipment, among which there are also 2" tape machine, and most equipments turned on around the clock.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
@Antony... Thanks for the idea... which specific models from General Electric, MGE, Liebert should I consider?
Does APC make anything in this category?

What is the balanced transformer? who makes these? can I get them in India?

Thanks
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Imo the best power management regardless of price is the APC10 or APC15. It's got it all, line condition, voltage regulator, protection, and a few more important functions that I can't remember off the top of my head but I've been extremely happy with my apc10. And I'd get another if for some ridiculously rare reason should it fail on me.
πŸ“ Reply