Quantcast
HS80M tweeter distortion - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HS80M tweeter distortion
Old 1st March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
HS80M tweeter distortion

A quick Google yielded many unhelpful results, so please forgive me if this has all been done before.

I was making a track earlier and noticed some weird distortion in the right channel. I put it down to a pesky synth control somewhere and went to browse YouTube. Unfortunately the same sound appeared when using YouTube.

I went through the usual cable swapping and canned air troubleshooting but the sound won't go away. It's not noticeable unless the sound is quite sparse and in the frequency range that seems to trigger the distortion, which is about 1-5kHz. Ugh.

I've taken the tweeter housing away from the monitor itself to see if anything was on that side โ€“ a hair or blob of dust, for example โ€“ but there's nothing. I've only removed the tweeter's housing from the monitor, not the tweeter from the housing as I don't have an Allen key small enough at the minute, so I suppose that's the next step.

Applying pressure to the metal backing of the tweeter (the magnet housing? I'm not sure) in a twisting motion makes the sound slightly worse.

I made a loop in Audacity that plays a sine wave of the same frequency first on the left and then right channel. There's an audible difference. I recorded a few things to demonstrate the problem. Please don't judge my random YouTube finding...

Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
No ideas?
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…